Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
Jerry Parr WI

Default Rear End Storage

Trying to get the garage organized and things packed for the winter and rear ends are a major PIA. Anyone have a good storage method for these assembled? I'm leaning toward making a cart that holds the drive shaft/shafts vertical but haven't tried to design one. I store lots of parts overhead so anything on the floor needs to be movable.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Richard in Anaheim CA

Default Re: Rear End Storage

Jerry,

They are pretty unweildly so your idea of a roll around storage "cart" is good. It will be pretty unstable since the driveshaft is heavy and way up there. You sure don't want it stored overhead.

Maybe a cradle against the wall studs might work but it would take up wall space.

No matter what, don't stand it leaning against your fence outside with the drivshaft up. You will end up with a banjo full of water and destroyed gears etc. Don't ask how I know.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
Pa Joe

Richard is right about that. I have an extra differantial that I am storing with very limited space. Mine is outside standing up behind the garage. I put a plastic bucket over the end of the torque tube to keep the water out. I left a couple of old rusty wheels on it so I can wheel it around when I have to.
Pa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
Rowdy
BANNED

The bucket reminds me of a rearend I bought at an auction in 2005. It was outside with the torque tube up and a coffee can keeping the water out. I bought it for $65 thining that possibly it was in good condition if they had gone to the effort to keep it covered. When I dissassembled it the ring and pinion were complete junk and it was obvious why it had been removed from the car. Rod
Old 10-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
Jazzjr

In the storage part of my garage I have Open Studs. I stand it up, block up the Drums with short pieces of 2x4's, drill a hole in stud wall below where the arms attach, insert a 4" bolt, and Short Piece of Chain.

If you have Finished Walls, cut a piece of 3/4 x 3"or 4" by 12" long, and a piece of 2x4 8" long. Drill a hole first in the center of 2x4 for the bolt, Screw them togther making a T, Drill holes in the 12"x 3"or 4" for 1/4" or 5/16" Lags, use a flat washer under head of Lags, use Lags long enough to hold in stud behind finished wall, then Chain it up. Easy Job

Last edited by Jazzjr; 10-28-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #6
Farrell In Vancouver

Make a four wheel dolly out of 1" plywood just big enough to hold the banjo in a cut out section. It will now rest in the hole with the axles housing supporting it. Point the tube staight up and attach a couple wratchet straps from the cup to two holes in the plywood and tighten it down. Now it should not wiggle when moved. Seal the torque tube with a double layer of garbage bag and a couple nylon tie straps. Good to go. JM2Cents
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
Jerry Parr WI

Thanks for the responses. Wall space is a real premium so I'm trying to avoid that location if possible. I do like the plywood cutout idea but am concerned about the stability of a cart. I'm thinking a slightly larger cart with 2 rear ends might be more stable and bolting them together would hold them upright. Hadn't considered it but even indoors covering the funnel on the end would be a good idea. Keep out the bugs and dust.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Farrell In Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Parr WI View Post
Thanks for the responses. Wall space is a real premium so I'm trying to avoid that location if possible. I do like the plywood cutout idea but am concerned about the stability of a cart. I'm thinking a slightly larger cart with 2 rear ends might be more stable and bolting them together would hold them upright. Hadn't considered it but even indoors covering the funnel on the end would be a good idea. Keep out the bugs and dust.
Thats not a bad idea either as long as there are no backing plates to compete for room once on the cart.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
Wuudie

Okay dumb question from the new guy
the way i read this post is, your taking the rear off you car for wnter storage? why remove the rear for winter storage?

I may be reading this wrong.
Wuudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
Ken Ehrenhofer

Hi New guy,
You obviously do not have enough spare parts yet..... and I say yet because you will. I probably have 6 extra differentials did I mention spare engines?
Yes, as you get into it you will find parts just start to show up sometimes. Like Model T rear ends and such.....Storing becomes a real issue now where can I hang this....mmmmmmmmm.......
Welcome to the hobby wuudie,
Ken
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
Big D

Very well said Ken,

Have not been at it for 50 years, even 10 for that matter but have a few transmissions, full front end and lord knows how many "extra" wheels laying around. Going to a Car show in a few weeks for more spare parts, when I'm 65 the car will be 100 and then hope I have a few cars worth of spare a parts. You guys know, noone said ---- IT'S time to build a bigger shop .. I'm thinking about building one with a paint area that will also double as storage for the boat and then 2 bays for "other" storage area .

D
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #12
Wuudie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ehrenhofer View Post
Hi New guy,
You obviously do not have enough spare parts yet..... and I say yet because you will. I probably have 6 extra differentials did I mention spare engines?
Yes, as you get into it you will find parts just start to show up sometimes. Like Model T rear ends and such.....Storing becomes a real issue now where can I hang this....mmmmmmmmm.......
Welcome to the hobby wuudie,
Ken
Guess my pop gave me a head start on the spare stuff. He had a bunch of extra stuff inlcuding Engine/Tranny/Clutch/Horns/Radiator/Shield/Carbs/Coils/6 extra wheels/Headlights/Headlight bar/front and rear bumpers and two homemade wooden boxes (52"x48"x"36") of stuff I haven't even opened yet. They're marked Model A and have been sitting in the back of the barn. Pop passed away 12 years ago and my mom is finally giving me the car.
Wuudie is offline   Reply With Quote