Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
Jerry Kzoo

Default Trans Lube

Happy New Year early to everyone here!!

I was working on a friends car yesterday and the transmission would shift VERY hard when cold. It was about 35* F yesterday. He has just purchased this car and we are fixing a couple of small things on it. When I checked the "fluid" level it was down a little from the threads on the plug. I stuck my finger in it and the "fluid" felt solid(thicker than molasses). It is very black in color, but was not that color from being dirty. I pulled the bottom plug and waited 10 minutes, but nothing came out. We went out for a drive to warm it up some and when we came back we pulled the plug and some of it slowly came out. It was very sticky and still thick even warmed up. I have no idea what original trans fluid was or looked like, but with our Michigan climate this seemed too thick.

I have learned so much from everyone here over the years and really appreciate all of your help and knowledge.

Jerry
Jerry Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Trans Lube

At that temperature the original trans fluid could be picked up with a fork, I usually drive 500 feet or so in 1st before I try to shift out of first in freezing temperatures, if you read the owners instruction book it will tell you that you can add some kerosene to thin the oil for cold temperatures---but I found that the short run in first is enough to ease the first shift
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
eagle

Take a heat lamp and get the transmission case good and warm, get that out and then add Lucas oil stabilizer. After running a few months change it again and you should be good.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
Patrick L.

Once most of the oil is out you could flush/clean the inside with diesel or kerosene if you feel like removing the top. If not, then changing the oil a couple times should be fine.
For the cold weather you could try using some 140 wgt. [ 600W is anywhere from 140-250 wgt]. If the 140 seems too heavy once warm, 90 could be tried.
As long as you stick with a good gear oil you won't hurt it.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Purdy Swoft

I've never had a problem with 90 weight .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
eagle

In my trials the Lucas gives me a smoother transmission feel and less heat fade than std gear oil. Considerably less gear noise too. Just my two cents.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:47 PM   #7
raprice22

I dunno, I've been using the 600W that I buy from Bratton's and it seems to work fine.
Rog
raprice22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

Brattons or Snyders 600w gear oil are both good. Its not nearly as critical as many think it is. I guess what ever makes a person happy .
Old 12-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #9
mshmodela

Good post, I've been driving my 31' Tudor this month. Lowest was 30F but my car is in my attached garage which is about 40F... At that temp, I've seen not real difference in shifting... I did replace my transmission with 600W from Snyders this past spring. So far my car runs just the same as it did when I was 90F... For now

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #10
RonC

This is one modern equivalent http://www.kellerheartt.com/product-...shopping_feeds
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:32 PM   #11
1931 flamingo

A lot cheaper to buy the 600w from the vendors. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:45 PM   #12
mshmodela

Kurt in NJ,

Took my 31' Tudor for a drive this afternoon (24F). I drove it slow for about 500ft (just at idle in 1st...) no issues shifting wise...

Thanks

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:47 PM   #13
Purdy Swoft

[QUOTE=1931 flamingo;1007549]A lot cheaper to buy the 600w from the vendors. JMO

Paul in CT[/QUOT

And the 90 weight at Walmart is even cheaper and does the job quiet well .
Old 01-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #14
Terry, NJ

I had a Ford 8 N tractor that was full of goop like you describe. After draining all that would flow, I used a propane torch to loosen up the rest. I'd put some kerosene in there, Jack up one rear wheel and either start the car, put it in gear or turn the rear wheel and let it turn over at idle for a few minutes, Then drain it. Model A s don't need Hypoid gear lube. But you can run pretty much any gear lube from the recommended 600 w to straight STP. The lubricant is supposed to do 3 things;
#1 Lubricate the gears,#2 Stay in the transmission and not leak out . #3 Slow down the gears for shifting. For starters, I'd go with the 600 w. This is NOT the weight of the oil, It's just a name.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:16 PM   #15
JohnLaVoy

Lubriplate SPO277 I think is what is recommended for cold weather. It is designed for straight cut gears, doesn't foam and works very well. They have three grades the SPO277 is recommended for cold climate SPO288 for moderate and SPO299 for high temperatures.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:17 PM   #16
ian Simpson

Although I do not drive my 1928 Tudor in winter (I am a real coward,) I can relate to the problem. Our 1969 Lotus Europa was our year-round daily-driver for over eight years, and would not shift out of first for several miles when the temperature hit -30 or below. Fixed the problem by bolting up a VW-type external oil pan heater to the transmission. The transmission was a transaxle that ran 90W oil. In your relatively mild temperatures you might try placing a trouble light close to the transmission overnight.

I would not consider using kerosene or anything similar to thin the oil. Kerosene is not a lubricant and will wash oil from bearings. Years ago we used kerosene in our parts washer as it was cheaper and easier to obtain than many alternatives. Kerosene is such an efficient degreaser that after washing parts we made sure they were covered with clean oil or grease to avoid corrosion.

Ian

Last edited by ian Simpson; 01-01-2015 at 11:26 PM.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote