Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Single bulb headlight question

I am getting ready to try to assemble my single bulb headlights after getting them renickeled and hopefully all the parts I need. I am attaching some pictures of a small plug part that I believe goes into the end where the main wiring harness connects to the headlight inside harness. The first picture is of my original inside headlight harness and the other three pictures are of the plug I have questions about. This black plug appears to be the part that connects the inside harness to the main headlight harness coming from the steering column switch. I am not sure how the black socket part is supposed to be installed. As you can see in the pictures, one end has two flat brass contacts, the other end has holes with some brass contacts with small holes down inside the plug holes and there are two brass screws installed from the sides. I don't know what the brass screws are for - maybe to retain the contacts on the end with the small holes in it. Is the black plug supposed to be pushed into the inside headlight socket with the flat contacts going in first? After that, how do the two wires from the main harness connect to the plug? I haven't seen any diagrams of this part of the wiring. If you know where a good picture of this area can be found or can explain how these parts are installed, please let me know.
Rusty Nelson

wrndln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Single bulb headlight question

The long headlamp socket is held in place by the adjustment screw and spring, and the reflector just slips over it. Depending on where you bought your wiring harness, you may have to remove the terminals from the headlamp end of the harness and secure the wires into the brass terminals in your black terminal block shown in your bottom 3 pictures. I think I have some pictures of both ends.

BTW, look at the socket that pushes into place at the bottom of the headlamp bucket. It has a couple thin tabs that spread out just a bit to hold it in place.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Here's the pictures of my 28 sockets. The brass screws secure the wire with the insulation stripped off about 1/4".
Old 12-31-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
wrndln

Tom,
Your information above helps a lot. I didn't know the plug in my pictures was attached to the main wiring harness/conduit with the two screws in the plug. I got a flashlight and looked inside the plug and I can see the threads that would make contact with the main harness wires. Now things are starting to make sense. I didn't realize the wires in the main harness needed to have the ends stripped and inserted into the plug and tightened with the screws on the sides. My plug has solid ends that go into the headlight socket where yours have a slot in them. I guess it doesn't make any difference as long as they make good contact with the headlight harness wires. I have never had an assembled set of headlight/conduit/harness to inspect.
Thanks for the information and pictures.
Rusty Nelson
Old 12-31-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
Marco Tahtaras

I've wanted to post pics of all the parts for '28 headlamp wiring but just haven't had the hours required. Yes, the harnesses didn't have bullet connectors at the headlamps. Tom shows the Ford connectors but doesn't show how the wire wraps through the brass lug and then pulled into the insulator with the screw which IS the contact.

The insulators you show look to be a workable aftermarket version assuming they slide neatly into the lamp socket and the contacts align properly with those in the socket.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
wrndln

Marco,
Are you saying there is a special method of connecting the main harness wires to the plug? I didn't understand what you meant by the following: Tom shows the Ford connectors but doesn't show how the wire wraps through the brass lug and then pulled into the insulator with the screw which IS the contact. After reading Tom's post, I thought the two wires for each headlight were stripped of about 1/4" of insulation like Tom stated, inserted into the plug with the two side screws loosened or removed and then the screws were installed/tightened to secure the wires. Is this the way to install the plug on the main headlight harness or is there another way?
Rusty Nelson
Old 01-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Rusty, I looked for a spare plug to take a picture, but I guess the only ones I have are on my car. I'll have to take one apart to take a picture. There are no side screws on my original plugs.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
wrndln

Tom,
If there are no screws in the sides, how are the stripped wires held in the plug?
Rusty
Old 01-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Rusty, These two pictures aren't the best, but it's almost zero degrees out in the garage this morning so I didn't spend much time on these pictures. The two brass sleeves have flat sides on the lower half, and a small hole drilled sideways through the flat part. The stripped wire is inserted through the hole and bent flat against the two sides. The screw pulls the sleeve into the bakelite holder and tightens against the wire to make a secure electrical connection. The second picture shows the screws started, but not yet tightened.

The bakelite plug has 2 alignment slots, so if you have the parking filament on when the headlamp filament should be on, just rotate the plug half way around.

Your plug is easier and should work equally well. On your plug the wire is simply pushed in and the screw tightened from the side. BTW, I could use four more plugs like I have pictured if you know of any.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
wrndln

Tom,
Now I see how the original plugs held the wires. My plugs must be repros like Marco said, but they look well made. I think they will work OK. I believe that if the parking and headlight are reversed, you can simply turn the bulb 180 degrees and fix the problem, as I believe the bulb can be installed two ways.
Rusty
Old 01-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
Marco Tahtaras

This mediocre pic is one I took 25+ years ago. The wire ends on all harnesses were "dipped in solder" before any terminals were installed and then heated to create a completely soldered connection. On the '28 lamp harnesses there were no "bullet" terminals installed but the ends but they were still dipped in solder.

It's tough to see but the lug (A-14459 Headlamp wire terminal) is threaded for the screw on one end and the other end has an eye like a needle. The end of the wire is slipped into the eye half way and folded over. The terminal is then pushed into the rubber plug which places pressure on the fold of the wire. The screw is then inserted through the other end of the plug and snugged.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Tom,
Now I see how the original plugs held the wires. My plugs must be repros like Marco said, but they look well made. I think they will work OK. I believe that if the parking and headlight are reversed, you can simply turn the bulb 180 degrees and fix the problem, as I believe the bulb can be installed two ways.
Rusty
Rusty, I'm pretty sure there is a top side to all original bulbs, so if you turn the bulb 180* the parking filament won't be placed where it should be.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
wrndln

I don't have any original bulbs. I bought several 3 CP/21 CP bulbs from Lang's model T parts store. They fit in a single bulb model A socket and I am pretty sure they can be reversed as they have symmetrical alignment stubs on the bulbs base. I won't be driving at night unless there is a pressing need to do so, so the bulbs I got from Lang's should be OK.
Rusty
Old 01-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
d.j. moordigian

Thanks,.....great info, now I have an idea how it works!
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
Mike Peters

Here's a couple shots of the single bulb connectors on my 28. The car is currently apart, so that was easy. Same as Tom's. The wire loops into the connector, which slides into the plug, and is held in place with a screw. Pretty fool proof. The second shot is the headlight socket in the bucket. low beam high beam only
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-IMG_9056.JPG (145.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 2-IMG_9057.JPG (168.3 KB, 54 views)
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #16
wrndln

Nice pictures, Mike. Now if I could find some original plugs. I can probably use the older repros I have, but original plugs would be better. With Tom's and your pictures I can see how the whole headlight wire is done. Thanks.
Rusty Nelson
Old 01-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #17
Gary Karr

To add to this, I have several sets of original 3CP/21CP fluted headlight bulbs. All of the soldered contacts are horizontal, not vertical, so that the filaments are also horizontal. Remember that on double filament bulbs, for low and high beams, the filaments are vertical with high beam below and low beam above. that's the way that they bounce a beam off of the reflectors.
Gary Karr is online now   Reply With Quote