Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
bugsiegel

Default t-5 confused which one?

I've read the Ultimate t-5 swap article but each time I read it I'm just a little bit more confused. In the which to use section of this article it mentions the v6 Astrovan transmissions as having a desirable ratio but it does not mention the years of the van. I didn't even know the astrovan was offered with a manual transmission option. It seems every one I have ever seen has the automatic shifter on the column.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
HOTRODPRIMER

Default Re: t-5 confused which one?

The S-10 is the most widely used. HRP
Old 06-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
TomT/Williamsburg

The older S10 T5s from 82-83 (?) until sometime in '88 mostly had the very low first gear (stump puller - normally behind a 4-cyl)) and the mechanical speedo tailshaft. The 88-92 usually had the more desirable first and 5th gear ratios but an electronic speedo tailshaft. So, most will combine the better gearset from the later 88-92 trans to the older mechanical tailshaft.

A couple gauge manufacturers do have speedos that will synch with the pulse (?) output of the S10 electronic speedo - I personally have been just skipping the tailshaft swap in favor of a GPS box hanging off my windshield. There is also a GPS speedo converter (?) you can buy now but it's a bit pricey at the moment.

Casing numbers should start with 1352-xxx but the tag off of one of the lower bolts holding the tailshaft to the head of the tranny is the one that gives a number you can look up and get the gear ratio off of. Flat Ernie has gobs of info on T5s - just do a search here on this forum for T5s or Flat Ernie and check the link he has when he posts. He may also comment here at some point ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
Krylon32

With the conversion kit that I sell I recommend the 85/92 S10/S15 Borg Warner T5 with the 85/89 having a manual speedo and the later ones being electric. I wouldn't go older than 85 as the low is really a stump puller while the later ones aren't as bad. On most installs after 1934 including the F1 my kit uses the stock clutch linkage. Gary at Cornhusker Rod And Custom

Last edited by Krylon32; 06-14-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
cbillelder

If you click on the link below, you will find a list of every T-5 ever made with the vehicle application and the gear ratios listed by the 1352-xxx code.

http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Bo...T5-ID-Tags.htm
cbillelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
bugsiegel

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Does the cab of an F1 have to come off to do this conversion or can it be done with the cab on?
I'm assuming the engine has to come out.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
36 flathead

I did my 1950 f1 with cab on and engine in. no problem.
36 flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Henry/Kokomo

With an open driveshaft, no major dis-assembly should be required. You'll have some clutch linkage issues to resolve but they're doable. A hydraulic clutch may help.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
jan bogert

My av8 has an '87 s10 t5 and 1st is a stump puller. Pull the motor, and install motor and trans in one. If you had a tork tube, and going with a open drive shaft, you'll probally have clutch chatter issues. I know i did , until i installed chatter rods. But still have some. But if i tach it up and let the clutch out theres barely any.
jan bogert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
3quarter32

I have a S10 T5 behind my 60hp, and it works great. I have a new spare adaptor bell housing that uses a chevy style throwout arm if you are interested and if it would fit. Not sure about that fitment. This is in my 3/4 scale 32, and I didn't have room for the chevy arm for the pedals were in the way.
Lee
3quarter32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
Pete

The T5 is an amazing transmission. It has the capability of being tailored to almost any application what with all the different gear ratios available.

If you have a transmission shop in your area that is familiar with high performance,

you might talk to them and see if they can build you one from parts like I did.

You can get almost any ratios you want in all the gears.

If you are going to drag race you will want ratios different from those for primarily road driving.

For one of my T5's I have the basic 212 model gears with the exception of overdrive which is the .86. The close ratios keep the rpm in the optimum range.

Another advantage of having one assembled from parts, you can get all the late good stuff like the fancy synchros, a double bushing in the tail shaft and any type speedo drive you want.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
Richard in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsiegel View Post
I'm just a little bit more confused.
Keep in mind that you can mix and match input shafts, main cases, tail sections, output shafts, and gear sets. Doing this, I ended up with the easiest case to adapt, the input shaft that was easiest to match up, the gear set I wanted, and the best shifter position for my car. You don't have to just grab one "off the shelf."
Richard in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #13
bugsiegel

To give me an idea what I would want with a t-5 does anyone have any idea what the ratio is on a stock 3 speed ford 48 F1 trans is? Or can someone tell me what might be the closest match to what my current ratio is? I'm trying to figure out what I would want for a first gear in a t-5 if I have the options of choosing gears.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:56 AM   #14
Richard in Florida

Quote:
To give me an idea what I would want with a t-5 does anyone have any idea what the ratio is on a stock 3 speed ford 48 F1 trans is? Or can someone tell me what might be the closest match to what my current ratio is? I'm trying to figure out what I would want for a first gear in a t-5 if I have the options of choosing gears.
It really depends on what your rear end ratio is. For example, my T5 first gear is 2.95 and the rear end is 4.10. This combination feels just about ideal.
Richard in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #15
bugsiegel

Richard,
I was under the truck the other day wire brushing the differential and on the back of the pinion housing attached to one of the bolts holding the back cover on I unearthed a tag that is stamped #41 over #11 with a letter W in front of that fraction. Any idea what that means?
I'll start looking for a trans today.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #16
40cpe

The tag usually indicates the ring gear/pinion tooth count. You would have a 3.73 ratio which I think would be unusual for a pick up of that vintage. Is the rear the original type for the truck?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #17
Pete

Quote:
For your current transmission ratios, you will probably have to tear it down and count teeth. It is very unlikely it is original.
As far as what you want in a 5 speed, there are many factors involved besides rear end ratio. Probably the most important is, how do you drive or how do you want to drive. All the advice in the world won't do you any good if you haven't established some parameters.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
Flat Ernie

A lot of folks talk about how low 1st gear is in some of the T5. I've posted the math several times and am too lazy to do it again, but suffice to say, if you ever haul anything, the lower first gear is nice. Otherwise, it's great in traffic.

Honestly though, I've never heard anyone truly complain about any T5 swap. Some minor musings about wishing the gears were slightly longer for first, but until you drive one, you really won't know what you like. As Pete says, application is just as important as the ratios.

T5 Tech
Flat Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #19
4t8v8

I used a 1982 S10 trans. My F1 gets used as a truck so I really like the low 1st gear. Use it a lot. 2nd gear isn't so high you can't use it to start out as long as you are not on a steep hill.
Once again. Application is what counts.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #20
bugsiegel

I've started my search for a transmission through the local salvage yards.
I'm asking for 90-92 S-10 2WD. So far just one guy has a unit. He's pulling the tag numbers for me tomorrow so I can see exactly what it is.
To be clear as long as the shell is correct I can make changes to the gearing inside right?
I also spoke to Van Pelts and I will at some point pull my top cover off my current three speed to see also exactly what I have now. I may have this information in my Mac Book but I can't find it anywhere and by chance my computer file on the trans rebuild was wiped out and lastly my digital camera is also misplaced and some of the rebuild photos might still be on that disc. Too much going on at one time.....
I mostly use the truck to go around town. There will definitely be times when I put some things in the back but it's not a daily hauler so the longer first gear is more attractive to me. Currently my first gear will push me to 10 or 12 miles an hour before I need to switch into second gear. I'l like a little more.
Stay tuned and thanks for all the help.....