Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
MrWzrd
BANNED

Default Shift points are where?

Well, the good news is that the GPS (speedo is inop on workbench) says I got the A up to 65mph on level ground. (which surprised me... I thought 55ish was the top end on As) The adrenaline levels in my system will probably take a day to return to normal. (need to tighten up the steering. Not loose but with more play that I like. Also was about 20 mph faster than felt real nice.)

I started and stopped many times to test the engine and brakes and that let to playing around with the shift points.

What is the "normal" point that you would shift gears? And, based on the discover that the distance from 1st to 2nd is, by the feel, about half of the distance from 2nd to 3rd let's make that two questions.

I seem to run out of 1st gear real fast... and want to wind it up a bit in 2nd before shifting to third. Am I close?
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Aok

Default Re: Shift points are where?

Do not really think about it anymore but I guess I am in 3rd by around 25 I usually listen to the engine. The link blow is worth a look for the basics
http://modelabasics.com/Starting%20&%20Driving.htm
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
700rpm

8-10 1st-->2nd; 12-15 2nd-->3rd. I wind mine a little more in 2nd if I'm trying to get momentum going up a hill... maybe to 18-20 mph.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
Larry Seemann

My rule of thumb has always been: 10 feet in 1st gear, then 20 feet in 2nd gear, then shift into 3rd.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
marc hildebrant

1st and 2nd are much "lower" than today's cars.

1st gear could be used to pull out stumps!

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Kevin in NJ

First off, Ford designed the car to run all day at 60 MPH. The dealers were to show the customers the car could go that fast. Read the service letters.

Recently in one of the Model A club magazines there was a reprint of a 1934 trial by an oil company. They ran from either NM or AZ to CA. They averaged like 61 MPH based of total time and total distance. So they had to go much faster at times since they had to stop for gas and such. I might not be remembering the numbers exactly. You can also read more in the book, "The Legendary Model A Ford".

With a well balanced, something as good as or close to Ford Factory, engine you are much better over reving then lugging. The babbitt is fine with something spinning fast as the crank should be on a layer of oil. Lugging will cause the oil barrier to break down to metal on metal hits. The babbitt does not like that. So you are better off erring on the side of a little too high.
Keep in mind that the wrong spark setting while cruising down the road can cause lugging too.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
w.michael

Rpm's @ 12 mph in 1st = rpm's @ 20 mph in 2nd = rpm's @ 35 mph in 3rd. I find these to be comfortable shift speeds for me and my engine.

I also like to cruise at 45 mph or a little more. 50 is a bit fast for me. I feel good and my engine seems to settle in and sound right at 47-48 mph. So I agree with you that 65 mph is about 20 mph too fast. Many others will disagree, and say they cruise at 55-60 all day long. You have to make your own choice. This is my opinion, and what is right for me and my car, but your experience may vary. I'm running standard head and rear end, with no overdrive.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
tbirdtbird
BANNED

these are long stroke low-revving motors, like most motors of yesteryear. By the time you hit 2000 rpm you are falling off the torque curve very rapidly
Old 10-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
First off, Ford designed the car to run all day at 60 MPH. The dealers were to show the customers the car could go that fast. Read the service letters.

Recently in one of the Model A club magazines there was a reprint of a 1934 trial by an oil company. They ran from either NM or AZ to CA. They averaged like 61 MPH based of total time and total distance. So they had to go much faster at times since they had to stop for gas and such. I might not be remembering the numbers exactly. You can also read more in the book, "The Legendary Model A Ford".

With a well balanced, something as good as or close to Ford Factory, engine you are much better over reving then lugging. The babbitt is fine with something spinning fast as the crank should be on a layer of oil. Lugging will cause the oil barrier to break down to metal on metal hits. The babbitt does not like that. So you are better off erring on the side of a little too high.
Keep in mind that the wrong spark setting while cruising down the road can cause lugging too.
Kevin, This whole article could well have been typed by CHIEF, my Dad, who was close friends with Bill Ogan, our local Ford Dealer & worked part time for him, when the crops were "layed by".
Chief said that a decent high speed on a GOOD Model A was only limited by "tired" valve springs that allowed some valve float at higher RPM's.
When the dealership did valve jobs, they used GENUINE FORD springs, with an added 1/8" spacer above the springs, so's they could outrun Alf Taylor, the local constable, in his V-8-60 powered BLACK '37 Ford Tudor Bill W.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #10
dave in australia

My thoughts are even though the A can go 60 all day, modern cars stop a lot quicker from 60. So I like to go around 45 so I have more braking room when the modern car in front throws out the anchor. Also, there are a lot more to distract modern drivers like mobile phones etc, and the scenery stays in my field of view longer at 45.
To answer the initial question, I shift at about 10 for 1-2 and about 20 for 2-3.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
When the light turns green go, hit second when you are in the middle of the intersection, hit high when you get past the intersection.
my exact thoughts perfect shift points.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
rons49

I agree with shift points 2nd at 10, then 3rd at @20. However due to the bozos that love to tailgate at a start from a traffic light, then run right up your a__ when you go to shift to 2nd, I start off in 2nd slowly then wind up to 20 and drop 3rd. This usually causes the bozo to pass me and harass someone else. A bit more wear on the clutch surface, but it beats a rear ender.
rons49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
CarlG

I read somewhere that a lot of the "Ladies" of the era just used 2nd gear and 2nd gear only all the time. Kinda the "automatic transmission" of the day.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #14
Purdy Swoft

Creepy take offs are dane jus!!!!!!! There is just too much risk of getting rear ended by sombody that needs to get where they are going. I wind mine out, not untill they are screaming but fast enough to get some momentum. Shifting into high gear too soon causes lugging. You will do more damage too the babbit by lugging in high gear than you would at full throttle.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

The Ford owners manual calls out 2nd at 5-7 mph 3rd at 12-15 mph.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #16
MrWzrd
BANNED

Thanks. Seems that there is a general consensus for both a normal start and an expedited start.....however... I'm going to go with my favorite "When the light turns green go, hit second when you are in the middle of the intersection, hit high when you get past the intersection." (1930coupe) I'll probably grin every time I start up now.

I teach defensive driving so I'm well aware of all the other "stooooopid people tricks" and I love to let tailgaters be the officers problem.
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
8-10 1st-->2nd; 12-15 2nd-->3rd. I wind mine a little more in 2nd if I'm trying to get momentum going up a hill... maybe to 18-20 mph.

I drive about like 700rpm... depending on road / traffic conditions.

The down-side to winding the engine out in 1st or 2nd gear, is that you have to wait that much longer for the engine speed to drop before completing the shift; with that 65 pound flywheel & low compression, that takes a while.

On level streets, I will often start in second, and although getting the car in motion takes a second or two longer, I generally gain overall by the time I shift to 3rd, than if I had started in first.

Same goes with my '41 De Soto (3-speed, 4.11 rear, 6.50x16 tires).

On the other hand, I can take my '61 Rambler American (six cylinder, 3-speed, 3.78 rear, 6.50x15 tires) up to nearly 50 mph in 2nd if I really have to... but 1st and 2nd are "spaced better" than with the Ford and De Soto ( which seem to have "short" 1st and 2nd gears...).

Your results may vary; try to avoid "lugging" the engine - this will kill your bearings faster than anything else.

Happy Motoring !

SC Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #18
Fred K-OR

In the area we live, small town, I like to do the "2nd gear stop" or also known as the California stop, at a stop sign. That is to avoid the slow start up in 1st, just leave it in 2nd and go for it. Know it is a but illegal, but with almost no traffic out here, it works. I don't let my kids to do this!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #19
silversink

Fred where in Banks are you? I am in McMinnville not too far away. My A don't wind up very far so its a quick 1-2-3 and away we go.
silversink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #20
Fred K-OR

Silversink, sent you a PM.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #21
bogiediver

Apparently, I'm way in the minority...

I take 1st up to 10-15, 2nd to 25-35, then to 3rd... basically, accelerate until I feel the drop in power (i.e. where additional 'foot on accelerator' does not give additional acceleration)

I find this actually makes shifting easier - no need to double clutch on the upshift...

Shift out of 1st; slow, deliberate shift into the 2nd gate, wait for the 'right' engine sound and into 2nd with no noise, no kick. Same from 2nd to 3rd.

And I'm doing a reasonable roll in traffic.

Works for me...
Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #22
Purdy Swoft

If you read post #15, you see that you're not alone in your driving habits. Double clutching isn't necessary. I do double clutch but do it quickly. After over fifty years of owning and repairing my own model A's, I've developed a feel for the gear shifts and the use of the spark lever. Many try and follow the owners manual driving instructions. In many ways, the owners manual hasn't applied in nearly sixty years. I've got trails in the woods that are similiar to the roads that they had in the twenties and thirties. Shifting in to third gear at twelve mph would cause lugging and bucking unless the spark was way retarded. With 87 octane fuel and better roads and highways, driving techniques have changed for some of us.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:53 AM   #23
BarracudaBoy
BANNED

Maybe I'm the odd man out. If I'm on flat ground by myself in the car I start out in 2nd. 1st feels like a granny to use in a loaded pickup.
BarracudaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:48 AM   #24
big job

Anybody remember especially 1949-50 Plymouths take off in first shift to second, same
thing, then third chug chug. What were they thinking.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:38 AM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaBoy View Post
Maybe I'm the odd man out. If I'm on flat ground by myself in the car I start out in 2nd. 1st feels like a granny to use in a loaded pickup.
I know a guy that always starts in second and 10 feet later he's in third. He likes to lug his engine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #26
Purdy Swoft

I've even seen some skip second gear and go right into high gear. Its funny how some think that creepy speeds and lugging is saving their engine.