Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
blgitn

Default Indented Firewall Mail Truck?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1932-...item1c3161df03

-and cheap too, right now.
blgitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
James Rogers

Default Re: Indented Firewall Mail Truck?

May be a replica. Wrong radiator shell and fenders, not only for a 32 but even for a model A. The engine is wrong for 32 since it is a Model A. I don't know about mail trucks but the body may be professionally homemade. It also has 35 wheels.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
Richard Wilson

Interesting information about Mail Trucks in the Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards. Ford only supplied the A and AA chassis to the Post Office (no bodies). Then the Post Office comissioned six different body manufactures to build the bodies. General Motors built 1,500 Mail Trucks on Ford AA chassis in March 1932. Mifflingburg built 100 Mail Trucks on Ford A chassis in March 1932. Judging Standards page D-1.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
ctlikon0712

I agree with James. It looks like some mail trucks I’ve seen but it is hard to tell. Some of the glaring things I noticed were the 30 shell, 30 running boards, and late 31 firewall. On that note, it could be one of the Jan - Mar 32 A's..... with 30 parts thrown on at some point in its history. Here are some to compare it too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US Mail AA.jpg (38.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 016.JPG (145.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 0402000228-l_zps2db0cee4.jpg (46.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Old Mail Delivery.jpg (81.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Old Mail Delivery2.jpg (70.7 KB, 78 views)
Old 03-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
Steve Wastler

Yes it is what is considered an early 31 York Hoover bodied mailtruck, without getting into the history, Ford supplied two procurements in 31, The early as I mentioned above and late, the mifflinburg bodied trucks as mentioned above. Both chassis had the indented firewall, and the postal department MADE Henry supply ALL model A parts, for the ones produced in 32, so even the late procurement supplied in 32 were all 31 parts.

Pictures were presented to the postal a's, with back and forth emails, and the sellers reserve is quite reasonable. There are lots of minor changes to this truck, along with, there is one major change, the windscreen is incorrect, and its missing the side doors, along with what others pointed out being incorrect. I have not seen the back, so I don't know if the rear gate or doors are correct. The center partition door is there with the locking hardware.

If someone here buys it, I have and know of spare parts. Could be a great little truck, it in my watch list.

On a side note, the Postsl A's are almost active again, will keep you updated.

Last edited by Steve Wastler; 03-29-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
Steve Wastler

Craig, great pics, I have the originals of the two lower pictures, although they are owned by Baltimore sun, the third picture, the whiter body, isn't a postal department mail truck.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
trulyvintage

Thumbs up Re: Indented Firewall Mail Truck?

Steve,

I like your avatar ....

Jim
trulyvintage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
Mike Peters

If the buyer has a good sense of humor, this would be a great little camper as is for taking mom and the kids out on weekends! An original body with the wrong windshield? If so, then this little truck has some serious possibilities.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
Steve Wastler

Hey thanks Jim, hope alls well, we took down my poor bank barn, if you remember it, need to forward you my video of it coming down. It is making way for my new shop, much smaller but will be all usable space. Will be in touch, keep it between the ditches.

Steve
Old 03-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #10
Steve Wastler

I have asked the seller for more pics, and to look for the stamped digits representing the postal serial number, will post on more info, this could definitely be a descent low cost start to a nice mailtruck.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
Rowdy
BANNED

After looking closely at the pic's I am wondering if the windshield frame I uploaded pic's of yesterday might be for a mail truck. Does anyone have dimensions and some details of the windshield frame. I will post the pic's of the frame on this post later today when I am on my computer instead of my i-phone. For now the pic's can be seen in my picture album. Thanks Rod
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
Steve Wastler

Sorry Rod, not a mail truck w/s frame. The sectional pivots were on the inside of the frame, on both styles of mail truck w/s's. your pivots are out the side. I can post pics later of an AA w/s frame, slightly larger than A.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
Rowdy
BANNED

Thanks Steve. I uploaded the pic's for Ken B that asked for them awhile back for possible use for a C-cab. Seen the distant pic's of the mail trucks and thought it was atleast a possibility and putting it back where it belongs would have been a nice thought. I have had this around so long that I have forgotten where it came from. It does appear to be from a nearly all wood body. Rod
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
Hicktick

Here is a mail truck project that I think is too much for what I can see .

Hood looks too long and it would be a lot of work .

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/3642379311.html
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
Steve Wastler

Wow, that's kinda steep, one would have to be careful with the one on craigslist, they show no postal hardware. There is a dude in our local club, who got ahold of me that " bought the remains of a mail truck", went to look at it, it was remains alright. Not a single piece of body hardware, and rotted wood, most not usable for patterns, you have to know what your looking at.....
Old 03-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #16
ctlikon0712

Steve, thanks. I really like those last two photos! Yes, I think that the white AA is a laundry truck or the like. Its cab section was similar with a split windshield albeit split at a different point.... an interesting specialty thread. I like the info you provided for us. So many A's had different specialty changes. Like the Mail trucks, Phone trucks, various deliveries, Traveler, and then all the AA variants too. Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
Steve Wastler

Those two photos are just before being decommissioned for auction. Both were taken in Baltimore, shows how the postal department really got their monies worth with the A's. it is to be noted, the postal department did anything and everything to keep these running, this is one of the reasons you see the 1930 two piece splash aprons, they pillaged the junk yards for A parts, if it fit and worked, they used it.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #18
Steve Wastler

I recieved more photos from the seller, this truck has almost all the correct postal hardware, save for the windscreen, side door hardware, poster frames, and rear door screens, all other items are there. The rear doors, tailgate are intact and complete, (except the above mentioned screens), has the lockbar assembly and the tailgate hooks and eyes, this is actually a very good starting point, if I had the room and more cash, it would be in my garage. If anyone wants the extra pictures, send your email anf I will pass them along. If you have wanted a mailtruck to restore, this is a good one. Restorable mail trucks are getting few and far between, DON'T LET IT GET AWAY. With the postal A's now restructured, and talks of the newsletter starting up again, you will have technical support for the restoration.......