Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2010, 06:39 AM   #1
Joop

Default Question for Original Unrestored car owners

I have found an Original (almost) Unrestored 1931 Standard Coupe.
Last real owner bought it when he was 16 and had it for 50 years.

I would like to know from other owners of unrestored cars how they finished (or left as original found) the engine compartment. This car has been power washed by the previous owner and most of the original paint was removed. I want to keep this car as original possible. Would love to hear from you. Thanks
(The ugly looking bowl is a dirt trap and has been removed)

Last edited by Joop; 03-04-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
Special Coupe Frank

Default Re: Question for Original Unrestored car owners

According to the "Paint & Finish Guide", the "engine-side" of the firewall was painted lower-body color, but was left "as-sprayed" - it was not sanded or polished, so it had a matte or satin look to it.

The underside of the hood was done the same way.

The engine assembly was painted Ford Engine Green, with the exception of:
fan, generator, starter, carburetor, oil-return pipe, lower radiator pipe, oil-fill pipe, and steering column, which were all black.

From what I can see on the cowl pillar in the right-hand photo, the body was dark blue ?

Looks like a previous owner borrowed that Tillotson sediment bowl from a two-wheel Gravely tractor...
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I would replace the coil with an original and carry that one as a spare, and also buy a correct black cloth coil wire. Also replace the missing terminal box cover.

WD-40 and a soft cotton cloth can clean the firewall quite well. The engine is a toss up, whether to paint, or leave it as is, or give it a light coat of oil. If you decide to paint it, I would use care to paint just the parts that should be green and not paint the head nuts, etc.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
Aerocraft

Joop:
You will get a lot of opinions on this question. It is my feeling that as soon as you start refinishing something, it is no longer "unrestored original". I would install the missing original parts such as the correct fan with the same patina. If it was mine, I would leave the car as is with the exception of cleaning and waxing as much as you can. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
Jim Huseby

Some bits of criteria to add to the confusion are: What do you have as an educated vision of the car as it would have looked after the number of decades of use and type of care it would have had and the places it might have travelled (long trips, family use close to home, dusty environment, city environment,etc)? In other words, what kind of stories does the car have to tell? Where did it go and what did it see and experience at the hands of its drivers? What kind of personalities drove and occupied the car? What kinds of conversations took place in it? What were the hopes, dreams and accomplishments of the owners and occupants? Keep in mind it would have had some maintenance and replacement of small parts like water pump, head gasket, and maybe a bearing adjustment that would have left the pan cleaner than the rest of the engine with a new gasket. It may have had a small collision that left a dent, scrape or an obvious repair, or a repetitive injury.Lots of layers of hardened dust and lube will be built up on the rod ends, spindles, transmission, diff gaskets, engine block, and depending on how much blow-by it produced, how many layers of petrified oil and dust are on the firewall and insides of the hood panels. The old oil in this mixture was refined no telling how many decades ago by people who had life stories to tell and the dust wants to tell its stories, too. All the personalities that touched it, service station attendants, mechanics, etc. contributed to its personality. It seems to me that an important consideration would be to keep the extent of cleaning and restoration consistent, and possibly, minimized. The type of wear will tell much about its previous owners' physiology and personal habits. That's why I think, in many cases, it's tragic to restore and erase all of that including the assembly and paint applied by long dead personalities. After enough more decades, the regretable firewall crud removal will have an old story to tell, also. Come to think of it, you may be able to take some used motor oil and mist it on the firewall, then throw some dust on it and repeat that process every time it starts to harden, and "restore" the firewall to its "correct" condition. Anyway, my opinion is that it should indicate a certain date at which its career ended/owner changed and it went into storage, so that when people see this bonafied time machine now and in the future, they will be able to read its history and hear its stories from observing the evidence.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
flexiheep

Like was said above, I would replace the missing parts, and leave well enough alone if you want to keep it unrestored (non car people think this is pretty cool, heck I do too). I am sure some of the folks around here could supply some experienced parts like the junction box cover to keep the look going. I wouldn't even search out the "correct" parts like the fan, to me the one on there is part of the cars story and you can say "this is what they were like when people drove them as a primary car"

I was in the same boat, my car was someones daily driver in the 60's when my great uncle bought it and basicly just kept it running by him and my dad for the last 40 years (about 300 miles driven in that time). I get more attention by people when I drive it around because it is battered and beat. The engine was an awfull silver that was mostly rust, but it runs like a top. The A group in town likes it too, they all have restored cars, and then there is mine at the end of the line. We laugh because they want a fun driver like mine and I want a little nicer looking one like theirs.....

I made my decision a couple weeks ago when my top insert split open in 4 spots (rainy season in a month or so).... New top insert, a rustoleum paint job and a good sanding to take care of the rust blisters (black fenders, hunter green body). I had to replace the exhaust manifold, so I cleaned up the engine and painted it ford green and lastly I need to replace the windshield as the seal is shrunk, and the glass is in bad shape and rattles so bad you can't hear anything else while driving. I guess I will call it a spruce up to the the old girl when I am done....

Last edited by flexiheep; 06-15-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling
flexiheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
FL&WVMIKE

"A" FORDBARNERS ............................
I have two unrestored flathead V8 Fords, which I intend to keep "unrestored". However, I see no problem in removing the grime, etc. On the chasis, more than likely, you will get down to the original paint, which can be washed with a solvent. Just don't leave any scrape marks, when cleaning.
You can also "help" your car, by using replacement original parts, that show the equal patina.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
Jason in TX

I drove my unrestored coupe on many Model A Tours and even got on the back cover of the Restorer with it. It was a lot of fun! No worries about it getting scratched, and it got a lot of attention (good attention from others, bad attention from the staunch Model A guys)

I would say just clean it off, get it working and drive it. Don't paint the engine, don't paint anything. It's fine the way it is.

Last edited by Jason in TX; 06-15-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
Model A Speedster

I agree totally with Jim Huseby's reply. It's only unrestored/original once. I like to see restored cars, but if you park your car next to a nicely restored car, it would be a good bet that yours would get the attention. That's the way the people who drove their Model A on a daily basis remember them! It was the car that got them there and got them back.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
middletown

I would leave it as is replacing items that fail. These days in a sea of restored A's one that displays the years of being driven and used as a primary vehicle is just awesome. I would also leave period modifications provided they were safe as they represent how these cars were used and maintained then which I feel is also important to preserve. not many A's where kept as high point show cars they were used and that is where there reputation is based a quality affordable car.

Please don't take this as a show car bashing response, it is not. They are beautiful and a wonder to appreciate but sometimes shiny paint and the polish take away the “real world experience" of the car and they can lack a bit owner influenced personality. An old sticker from a Grand Canyon trip in a window, a medallion on the bumper from an Auto Club, an after market solve all your problems do hicky from the 50’s all give an insight it the travels of the car. Maybe it’s more important to me because I’m a young’n (only in my 40’s) so I was not part of it all. Each of these items can be a window in the cars and the previous owners past.

Not a rule JMHO

Thanks,

Joe

middletown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
Special Coupe Frank

I would agree with the above posts - stabilize and preserve what you have; arrest any immediate decay, and clean things up with WD-40 / soft rags...

As previously stated: "It's only original once".

The Antique Automobile Club of America has two relatively new preservation-based classes: Historic Preservation of Original Features ( HPOF ) and Driver Participation Class ( DPC ). Cars that are approved for either class are no longer judged in regular competition, but do receive participation placcards for each AACA event they attend.

It is very popular amongst car owners and spectators alike.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
Jim Mason

I would leave any original parts as is. I would remove any non-original parts per the RG&JS and replace them with obviously restored parts in pristine condition. You then then can show what has been changed and what hasn't and won't confuse the issue for the next owner...fwiw,jm
Jim Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #13
Joop

Great info guy's

Thanks and I will follow the advice given.

Joop
Old 06-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #14
kp

WHen I purchased my 31Coupe it had (and still does ) white wall tires ,new interior and Paint ,but I like what I see in the picture ,I think original is GREAT !!
kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #15
Midwest Tin

Hi Joop,
Can you post some more photos? Interior, sides, rear view. Looks great.
Jim
Midwest Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:57 AM   #16
Joop

Here are some more pictures

Old 06-16-2010, 05:05 AM   #17
Joop

More

Old 06-16-2010, 07:58 AM   #18
1931 flamingo

WOW!!!! That's a really neat find.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #19
cradlescyth

hi Joob
I am in process of dickering for a like car. This artical has help me make a decision as to what to do to it. I plan to just get it running and keep it as original as possible.
ENJOY!!
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #20
Joop

What Model are you looking at

Joop (Yope)
Old 06-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #21
Special Coupe Frank

Joop,

Wow. That is amazing !

Just clean the dust & loose dirt off, preserve, and enjoy !

That is a true "survivor" !

Thanks for sharing some pictures !

SC Frank
Old 06-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #22
Jason in TX

what a great car!!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #23
FL&WVMIKE

JOOP ....................
What a neat "A" Model. They don't make 'em like that anymore !
On your rust, just rub WD40 on it with a rag. It won't hide your patina, but enhance it. It will make more of the original paint show up. You will like the look !
That's just great !
MIKE
Old 06-17-2010, 12:57 AM   #24
Spider

You've got a great coupe there Joop. You don't have to look to far to see a shiny Model A but I would rather see original cars like yours. Cheers
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #25
Joop

Thank you

Please look at the wanted section I need some pieces to make it more complete.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #26
figment

I just got home from French Lick where the National convention was held. There were several unrestored cars in fine point judging. I got to see them up close and it looks like your car would do reasonably well. You would have to replace the hub caps that are missing with unrestored originals and replace the fan blade with a two blade fan. I don't see why your car would not be a unrestored original if you replaced the missing parts , worn out items or incorrect parts with very good original used parts. Very nice find!! Norm
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #27
Joop

Hope you had a good time
A friend of mine is there and he found nice original parts for me (hubcaps etc.) Thanks for your nice comment
Old 06-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #28
figment

I was a vendor at French Lick. When I saw spaces were going to be in a air conditioned area I jumped at the chance. I thought I was going to die at last years meet from the heat. Several guys bought nice original stuff from me that were trying to keep a nice car as original like you are. Norm
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:38 AM   #29
Joop

Stil looking to find:
Center Bumper clamp
Radiator cap
Shock with wide ears CW plus extra bolts and nuts
1931 Popout Head
Original Key A1458

Last edited by Joop; 06-21-2010 at 06:22 AM. Reason: shorten the list
Old 06-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #30
Chris in WNC

I use lemon oil 1-2 times a year on the peeling paint areas of our unrestored coupe.

Ospho followed by mineral spirits and Satin Rustoleum on rusty spots, used as sparingly as possible to retain & expose as much original finish as possible

a few years back I stabilized and painted the surface rust on the entire underside of the body. a very character-building experience.
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #31
Joop

Hi Chris, Can you Post or send me some pictures of your car and the engine compartment... [email protected]
Old 06-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #32
JimK1930A

I find it a challenge to replace parts and retain the old look of my original car. I think it is much easier to restore a car with all new catalog parts because the rest of the car looks new too.
My circle of friends with old cars like to keep them as original as possible.
We sometimes buy reproduction parts and paint them to look old to match our cars.
The same goes with my 80 year old accessories.

Last edited by JimK1930A; 06-19-2010 at 09:00 AM. Reason: missing words
JimK1930A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:23 AM   #33
Joop

Can you post some pictures
Old 06-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #34
lfg

What a great find, Joop. Hope you are enjoying your summer in MA,

Larry
lfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #35
FL&WVMIKE

JOOP ............................
As SPECIAL COUPE FRANK stated, wipe things down with WD40. It will still show the patina and also show more existing paint. Try it on a sutble spot to see how you like the look. I'm betting that you will like the look.
MIKE
Old 06-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #36
Cool Hand Lurker

Nice find! I agree with those who said it should be left alone but maybe cover the rust in the engine compartment at least. Using a thinned paint will give it a color with patina.
A couple of posters have mentioned WD40 for cleaning. I am not sure this is a good idea. Will you ever be able to paint over it if you want to touch it up? First thing to do is to put some WD40 on a scrap piece of metal and then try to clean it off again and paint it to see if it will cover and hold.
I personally use naptha for cleaning stuff because it drys clean and non-oily. Others may have some personal preferences.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #37
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
JOOP ............................
As SPECIAL COUPE FRANK stated, wipe things down with WD40. It will still show the patina and also show more existing paint. Try it on a sutble spot to see how you like the look. I'm betting that you will like the look.
MIKE
I had a fairly nice pair of original engine splash pans that I sprayed with WD40 and didn't wipe them down quickly. To my surprise much of the original paint lifted. Use WD40 with caution!
Old 06-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #38
Joop

Hi Don.

I just picked it up from Lennie tonight

Thanks for your generous (Well Wrapped) gift to my project.

Will let you know when it is installed.

Joop
Old 09-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #39
Joop

Got Best Original at the New England Meet with the Coupe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7054.JPG (114.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1184.jpg (97.7 KB, 83 views)
Old 09-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #40
Special Coupe Frank

Congratulations !

She looks very respectable; dignified in her old-age !

SC Frank
Old 09-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #41
TinCup

That is not a side bowl carb so what is attached to that Zenith?
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #42
Glenn C.

Just a suggestion. I believe the "dog bone" shock links were for the vehicles later during the thirty's. Somebody might want to correct me on that. So dump the "dog bones" and shop around at swap meets, or friends, for original shock links. Keep away from the repo's if at all possible for this vehicle.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #43
Joop

Hi Tin Cup

Are you referring to the picture in the first column?

It is a Side bowl carburetor.
The previous owner had attached a glas bowl to the tank, but when I checked the inside there was no rust or old gas in it and put the original gas shutoff back on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5283.jpg (69.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6996.JPG (134.9 KB, 57 views)
Old 09-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #44
Dick So. Cal.

I love it like it is. I would inspect the safety related items for safe condition, i.e.: brakes, steering, window glass, but leave the rest alone. I especially like the original snail on the tire in picture five!
Dick Wyckoff
Dick So. Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #45
TinCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop View Post
Hi Tin Cup

Are you referring to the picture in the first column?

It is a Side bowl carburetor.
The previous owner had attached a glas bowl to the tank, but when I checked the inside there was no rust or old gas in it and put the original gas shutoff back on.
I guess I have it confused with another carb. It looks like a standard Zenith 1 or 2 with a sediment bowl attached.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #46
Tom Wesenberg

I agree, you got a real show stopper. That's the car that will get all the attention at the car shows. Hopefully the mice haven't taken over the interior, and it still has that NEAT old car smell that just can't be replicated with a new interior. Having that neat old car smell is reason enough to not touch the interior.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #47
Joop

Took years of advertising and searching around and found it 50 miles from home.

Total safety inspection done, steering parts and brakes in like new condition drums were never off. Replaced the obvious pieces like dog bones, gas line glass bowl, radiator lower pipe and hoses etc. Rodded out the Radiator myself by removing the bottom piece. Cleaned the interior and no mice dammage only some small bloodstaines on the seat from the second owner, he was a taxadermist. And yes Tom it has that old car smell.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #48
ursus

That is one sweet coupe. I wish I could crawl over it for a glimpse of what original really means. I also have a 31 Standard Coupe, albeit with too many "improvements" over the years. I recently got to look through a 1931 Tudor with 12,800 miles on the odometer and doors that closed with a solid "thunk" - priceless.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #49
joe plumber

Cool find . I wish I had your problem as what to do with it ..If I was 40 years younger ,I would hot rod it .Now that I'm 40 years older ,I would leave it alone ,just make it road worthy and have fun with it.Nice looking car.
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #50
Bill in Al

Congratulations! With that smile on your face and the plaque on the coupe,I'd say you're both winners! Enjoy--Bill
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #51
JTW

Try Penetrol on the bare metal, and it is very good at preserving old paint also. You can find it in paint stores. Alot of people in this area have used it for years with very good results. The can will probably say it is used with oil based paint to help it flow smoother, but it is also good at sealing old metal. Rub some on in an area that doesn't show to see if you like it - it dries to a thin flexible film, with a slight sheen.
JTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #52
cardoza

It does look better than mine!!!

great pics!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #53
pooch

It's great having an unrestored beater.

Can find old accessories at swap meets and put them straight on.

I found a set of wind wing brackets last weekend, stamped patent 1924, nice old beat up tarnished nickel.

Matches the rest of the car beautifully.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote