Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
ericr

Default Parts Hoarding: a Discouragement to Newbies?

I went to an auction today of a deceased local Ford collector of some repute, and a familiar scene, I suspect, gets repeated: an owner of several Model "A"s all restored to tip-top condition, had numerous carbs, trannies, flywheel housings, wheels, generators, starters.....Attendees were all us grayhairs.

One could reason that the situation is self-curative, but then I wonder if the parts hoard just gets shifted to another hoarder, to another, to another...

Certainly the well-meaning owners among us will say that the hoarder gladly helps out Newbies or other owners, but I find that counter-intuitive with the nature of hoarding. For one thing, who knows that a hoarder is hoarding.

No doubt hoarding is the free enterprise system at work, one can argue that nothing illegal, unethical, immoral or fattening is occurring. Does it drive up the cost of free market parts not the subject of hoarding? Who knows.

Much commentary is submitted here about the future of the hobby, but rather than it passing to Newbies, I suspect it will pass to hoarders, because multiple car ownership and parts acquisition seem to have some connection.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Parts Hoarding: a Discouragement to Newbies?

If parts weren't hoarded there wouldn't be many to be had in 2014, they would have all been scrapped by now!
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Hoarding parts IS my hobby, and brings me much satisfaction!
LOL knowing your supply, I bet you are the happiest guy east of the Mississippi!
Old 09-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
160B

My motto is get it before the hoarders get it!!!!!

LMAO

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
bart78

Tons of this stuff if not hoarded would be Hondas now. Some of these guys have been hoarding back when a lot of people did not want these cars. I have been cleaning up a place of a hoarder. Tons of a's and early v8's and parts. He has told me that it would have been all scrap. Because the people that had them wanted nothing to do with them. I think they do the hobby a service.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:12 PM   #6
pooch

After I finish my two selling projects, I would sell all my left over hoarded parts, except for items like spare fuel tanks , speedos, gauges, good bumpers, and probably any pristine sheet metal.

I can't really understand guys hoarding stuff like chassis, old engine cores, wheels etc.

Last swap I went to, a guy had a pile of 28 wheels, I was the only one all day who asked about them, he said ANY OFFER, as I am sick of carting them , and they will go in the dumpster at end of day.

This and deceased estates , where it usually all gets scrapped by the kids.

Yes, some hoarding is acceptable for spare parts but not piles of stuff that will never be used .
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
montanafordman

Parts hoarding is just wrong. Send your parts to me. LOL
Old 09-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
mshmodela

I'm a 6 month newbie and unaware of part hording but last I check that's anyone right to do at least in The United States of America.... I would say the only thing more experienced owners can do as they doing here is share their years of experience... I am thankful to all of them.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by mshmodela; 10-03-2014 at 07:51 AM.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
southfork

Any asset of value is hoarded by someone, if it has any collector interest at all. As money continually loses its purchasing power, people pickup assets that they both enjoy and also believe will hold value better than cash does. Thus, the "hoarders" get a double benefit if they wisely choose what to hoard. Familiarity/expertise with respect to vintage iron helps them to wisely choose what items to hoard.

I also agree that much more vintage iron would have been scrapped long ago, if not for the people who gathered it up before it got to the scrap yard.
southfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #10
tbirdtbird
BANNED

to each his own. But we know of several hoarders who literally have warehouses full. Yes it keeps the parts from the no-soul scrappers....but these boys will NOT sell anything to anyone.....so where does that get the hobby.....and where will this huge quantity of stuff go years from now when there is disposal? another hoarder? Scrapper in 50 yrs ? you have no way to know...

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 09-27-2014 at 10:16 PM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
machine girl

Yes, we (collect) parts, but will always help one in need, (unless its a NOS B cam and crankshaft, or other type treasures.)
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:21 PM   #12
H. L. Chauvin

Hi ericr,

How about non-grey haired collectors ????????? LOL.

I met a very rich, very young married lady about (5) years ago who said she would be the first & last to visit every advertised garage sale in local upscale subdivisions.

She said she scooped up on all of the first "good" bargains, then returned later to offer a bulk price for "some" the remaining items for about 10 cents on a dollar.

Every now & then she said would tap a poorer neighborhood for good used high quality tools & rare vintage items that poorer people thought had no value.

She told me she also visited many advertised local city auctions to buy items.

Then after acquiring same, she sold items on e-bay, & also conducted her own garage sales; plus she had repeat "collecting customers" always calling her for used, expensive clothes in various sizes or other "good" juicy bargains to place in storage.

She said after a few years she learned what people wanted & mastered learning the going price for "used" general merchandise.

She said the best part was that everything she bought & sold was on a cash basis -- when she made a dollar, because she worked hard for it, she did not think it was fair to give part of her earnings to our Government in stupid taxes to send to crooked foreign governments.

She was extremely intelligent & just loved what she was doing -- i.e., not at all a pack rat -- she just bought & sold & never sought employment.

She told me how much she loved it all.

Maybe just like the old saying: "Different strokes for different folks!!!!"
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

I was at a Studebaker only swap and car show today, and I overheard someone talking about hoarding. I figured there has to be Studebaker parts hoarders because I find almost no Stude parts at most swap meets. Well thankfully those that had the parts at home had them at the swap today and I found some good parts I needed. I also saw a lot of nice Studes that never seem to turn up at other car shows.

A few years ago I was at a swap meet and a guy had two trailers full of Model A parts. I wasn't sure if I needed a few things he had, so I checked when I got home and called him a few days later. He said at the end of the day he hauled everything to the scrap yard. That's what's wrong with some people. He could have helped a lot of people by selling it all for a more resonable price, or even scrap price, if he really didn't want to deal with it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #14
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I need a hard to find part for a high end 1930's car. I know of a collector that has three and will not part with one. I have even told him I will pay a premium over actual value and he refuses. He says in 10 years they will be worth a fortune. Tell me how this insensitive hoarder is helping our hobby. I believe hoarding is totally wrong !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #15
Roadster62

If you never tell anyone what you have, you will never be labled a hoarder. I have unfinished projects. Bob
Old 09-27-2014, 09:45 PM   #16
MikeK

Over my dead body will I give up my stash of original parts. Please make sure the lid is closed before stepping on me.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

We just need to find a way for people like Berts to know about these hoards and at least offer scrape value at the end of the auction and maybe get these parts back to those that can use them.

How about this, let the family know about MAFFI, donate what is left to them for tax deductible donation and then MAFFI sells them in bulk to those like Berts. Win Win Win
Old 09-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #18
dumb person

Hoarding parts is ok if you actually use them, or store them, but people who hoard 2 dozen identical parts (which they never use, never intend to use, and more often than not are left to rot) and gloat at the fact you have none are ...well it might not be proper to use the word i want to use to describe that.
Then there are the kind that want $5,000 for something (say, a rusty seized axle with the remains of spokes & a small segment of wheel rim) in awful shape and run it over with a bulldozer and bury it to spite you if you can't afford it. Those people are mentally deficient too.

Yes, those people put people like me off the idea of trying to fix old cars. Those types also tell me my A is junk. Maybe i should put a V8 in it just to hear them moan about how i "ruined a good one" (i thought they said it was junk?)

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #19
JEC

My wife says that I am a hoarder.
Probably true. I have a barn and hangar full of stuff.
I don't usually sell anything but if a friend needs something I just give it to them.
JEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #20
ericr

My good friend HL might contradict me on this, but to my belief, exaggerated hoarding is a relatively recently-discovered behavior pattern. I don't remember hearing about it in the '50s and '60s. Now, we have American Pickers, pet hoarders appearing in the news every few months, etc.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #21
bart78

During the 50's and 60's. People did not have to hoard. Most of this stuff was easy to find and cheap to buy.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:06 PM   #22
Brad in Germany

....but someday I might need that extra engine.....

Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:18 PM   #23
Mike V. Florida

I remember a MASH episode. They were looking for an incubator. They tracked down a supply depot that had three. When asked how much for one, the guy said not for sale. Hawkeye said "but you have three". The stock clerk said "but if I give you one then I'll only have two".

Same with hoarders, they may have 36 carbs but if they sell one they will only have 35.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #24
H. L. Chauvin

My good friend ericr,

You are so correct ..... while in grammar school, in our rural area, few of my grammar school classmates' parents had cars; so why collect car parts. A few had no electricity. Also, none of us had phones. I saw (2) bedroom houses with 10 people in the family -- I guess nobody wanted to sleep on stored Model A parts.

Nobody could afford a divorce & a new second wedding either, so everybody stayed married. Many who had cars would walk to church because cars were used only to go to work or used to go to church if it was raining.

We were happy with nothing of material value. Everybody had jobs & were too busy trying to make ends meet to get into trouble.

Nobody worried about locks on doors because we had nothing of real value to steal.

Sometimes difficult to imagine how things drastically changed in one generation.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:43 PM   #25
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
My good friend HL might contradict me on this, but to my belief, exaggerated hoarding is a relatively recently-discovered behavior pattern. I don't remember hearing about it in the '50s and '60s. Now, we have American Pickers, pet hoarders appearing in the news every few months, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
My good friend ericr,

You are so correct ..... while in grammar school, in our rural area, few of my grammar school classmates' parents had cars; so why collect car parts. A few had no electricity. Also, none of us had phones. I saw (2) bedroom houses with 10 people in the family -- I guess nobody wanted to sleep on stored Model A parts.

Nobody could afford a divorce & a new second wedding either, so everybody stayed married. Many who had cars would walk to church because cars were used only to go to work or used to go to church if it was raining.

We were happy with nothing of material value. Everybody had jobs & were too busy trying to make ends meet to get into trouble.

Nobody worried about locks on doors because we had nothing of real value to steal.

Sometimes difficult to imagine how things drastically changed in one generation.

Maybe one reason is that when young and poor some hoarders remember that the car, or whatever was not used because of the need of a part. Maybe they remember a time of "if only we had...". When they had the chance and the means they see what they did not when younger and now collect the stuff that caused hardship.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #26
karasmer

I have been at a couple of hoarders places and was blown away at the sheer amount of parts, rows and rows and rows..., all I was thinking was a guy could make close to a million on Ebay yet the owners seemed to live slightly above poverty and would not sell a thing. Someday there could be a mega auction.
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:11 AM   #27
triumphleroy

I know that as a lad we had nothing! Dad rode that little Doodle-Bug Scooter to work or rode the bus. We always kept all the old parts from any repair as the next time something broke this old part might be easier to patch something back up with than the newly broke one. I still at 72 years old haul away most nearly anything that is a "give me". Saved 14 Mustang Motorcycles over the years as no one wanted that "Old Piece of Junk". When they were sold off they became the next three years 1st place winners at the national Mustang Meet. I am sure that not many here on this forum know about working for $.25 an hour or mowing the widow woman's yard for a dollar. Folks today are living very well compared to the way things were years ago. We sure did not worry ourselves with looks of our vehicles as much as; will it get us there and back? Four "May Pop Tires" and a few hand tools to survive on.
Am I a Hoarder In many peoples eyes ? Who Cares?
triumphleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:26 AM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphleroy View Post
I know that as a lad we had nothing! Dad rode that little Doodle-Bug Scooter to work or rode the bus. We always kept all the old parts from any repair as the next time something broke this old part might be easier to patch something back up with than the newly broke one. I still at 72 years old haul away most nearly anything that is a "give me". Saved 14 Mustang Motorcycles over the years as no one wanted that "Old Piece of Junk". When they were sold off they became the next three years 1st place winners at the national Mustang Meet. I am sure that not many here on this forum know about working for $.25 an hour or mowing the widow woman's yard for a dollar. Folks today are living very well compared to the way things were years ago. We sure did not worry ourselves with looks of our vehicles as much as; will it get us there and back? Four "May Pop Tires" and a few hand tools to survive on.
Am I a Hoarder In many peoples eyes ? Who Cares?
That's the difference!! You saw value and when someone else did as well you sold the items. I see nothing wrong with that. I feel sorry for the people that that save the items and don't want to sell. Their prized possessions will more then likely be sold for scrape by family that has no idea of the worth or have the time to sort through to find the true treasures. Many as you say, worked for pennies as a child or young adults and now will little effort could live near like kings it they sold their hoard.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:33 AM   #29
DougVieyra

Almost everyone is a hoarder - of one sort or another. Some people hoard money (401K, College Fund, Retirement Fund, Raining Day Fund, etc.) . Some people hoard clothes, (Amilia Marcos liked shoes), Some people hoard books. And the list goes on.

I myself have no money, wear second-hand clothes, live in an old house. BUT I have riches untold in my basement, garage and barn. For over 50 years I have "hoarded' original Ford-made parts for my two Ford Model A's.

I did stop collecting Model A parts about 1970, when reproduction parts began becoming available. When I observed the quality differences between original and repro. - I resolved to 'hoard' all of my original Ford-made parts for potential future needs. Because I was not a 'hobbyst', but a DRIVER of the Model A, and planned on driving my Model A's until the day I die, I have a goodly supply of original parts, which I thought was a prudent move to do. Space was and is, the only real concern.

I recently read a FORUM post regarding repro. Axle shafts ($350 a piece) ending production. Whether available at $350 or not at all, either way, I felt good in having a three of them (all good Ford-made axles) laying in a corner, and a couple of complete rear ends, sitting in a cornor of my barn.

I feel good that I have a good supply of spare parts (mostly chassis / running gear / drive chain) for my two Model A's. And I sleep well at night.

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 09-28-2014 at 02:38 AM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:50 AM   #30
H. L. Chauvin

I knew a guy born about 1890 who in about 1955 bought a new 1955 Lincoln.

All he talked about was that he had (2) sets of new tires for it as well as about 25 cases of lubricating oil. His reason for storing same was because as a traveling salesman, he could not buy tires & lubricating oil for his car all during WWII.

Even though he was retired in 1955, he felt comfortable with his extra tires & oil -- I always thought, more power to him -- he was happy -- takes all kinds.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:34 AM   #31
Wick

Try Hoarding you will like it! I did cut loose of 4 nos brake rods yesterday to help a friend out whos doing a high point truck.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:07 AM   #32
BRENT in 10-uh-C

This is some very interesting reading with some VERY valid opinions. So, ....let me ask this. What/Why is it we don't like Hoarding? Is it because someone else has something that we don't have? Is it coveting on our part to want something our neighbor has??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:43 AM   #33
ronn

This is America..........

hoard away!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #34
dpson

I came to the realization this year that after 40 years of buying antique cars and parts (mostly Studebaker), it was time to start downsizing. My wife and children have no real interest in the stuff and if something happened to me it would be practically given away. So far I've sold two cars and a bunch of car related items, signs, banners, etc. (the good stuff) and even used some of the proceeds to buy a Model A.

I priced the stuff reasonable, but not cheap and it cleared out a bunch of space. So my advice to you hoarders out there, don't wait until you're ready for the nursing home, get rid of the stuff while you still can. Its kind of fun, can be financially rewarding and you never know what hidden treasures you'll find that you salted away 30 years ago.
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #35
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
This is some very interesting reading with some VERY valid opinions. So, ....let me ask this. What/Why is it we don't like Hoarding? Is it because someone else has something that we don't have? Is it coveting on our part to want something our neighbor has??
No Brent it is needing something that some selfish person has three of and they choose not to sell. There should be more in life than the goal to get rich. On one of my business cards it says that " at the end of the day, it is not the jingle in my pocket that matters, but the feeling in my heart !
Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 09-28-2014 at 01:52 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #36
triumphleroy

With the cash I got from the part of my hoard that I have sold off I built a 60 foot wide 175 foot long building and proceeded to fill with my treasures! Have been told that could raise large sum of cash by selling it off but Money has absolutely no value to me unless I want a New toy. Think about it cash has been carried around in nasty billfolds being sweated on and farted on by others, seems very undesirable to me!
I have no desire to own a new vehicle, I as others say wear second hand clothes and rarely feel a need to be seen any other way. I do not own an Television, and barely have this internet devise!
Nowadays kids say they are "Going Green" by recycling their plastic sacks, and all their other none useful plastic crap! More plastic toys that were never around in us older generations days! Remember well sitting in the back seat of dad's 41 Chevrolet with the Babbitt Rod 216 carrying our family to visit dad's brother whom had just returned to Treasure Island after his service in WWII ! That trip from Dallas Texas to California was made while the only toy I had was my imagination? Dad was proud that the little engine which he had rebuilt with his own hands passed several new cars stopped with their hoods up! We slept beside the road in rest areas, and did not realize we were the POOR FOLKS!
Old 09-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #37
bart78

I am 35 and have only started to hoard the past few years. One of the main reasons is. I live in a area where most don't care for it. Most ends up going to scrap. There are some things I will sell some time. To the right person. And some things I won't. My favorite thing to hoard is flathead v8's. Mainly because I know that one day they will be very hard to find.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #38
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Brent that can be part of it, there can be several motivations. Another perception is that taking so many parts out of circulation deprives others of the chance of finding something they need.

To prove my point, here is a wartime clip from Germany from two well-known actors of that era, demonstrating hoarding. English subtitles.

http://youtu.be/VunCD-5G1VA

Last edited by ericr; 09-28-2014 at 08:22 AM. Reason: wrong clip
Old 09-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #39
triumphleroy

So In Other words If YOU WANT IT it is not Hoarding But If I WANT It! IT IS HOARDING?
Old 09-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #40
bart78

The biggest mistake people make with hoarders. Is telling them they have to many and need to sell. Or assuming that they should sell and get agervated with them. I am getting 12 v8's off of one of the biggest hoarders around here. Because I told him what I was doing with them. And that they would be put to good use. And saved for years to come.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #41
triumphleroy

Google "HECTOR THE COLLECTOR" for Cute Poem about This.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:23 AM   #42
ericr

Quote:
So In Other words If YOU WANT IT it is not Hoarding But If I WANT It! IT IS HOARDING?
No-----if you want it but don't need it and likely never will, it is hoarding. unless I suppose you make it available to others needing one, but I don't see that as being consistent with the hoarder's mentality.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #43
Tom Wesenberg

Sometimes people that hoard parts won't sell them, but may swap them, so try to find what they like to swap for.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #44
fredski

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEC View Post
My wife says that I am a hoarder.
Probably true. I have a barn and hangar full of stuff.
I don't usually sell anything but if a friend needs something I just give it to them.
maybe we could get friendly?

well not tooo friendly.

fredski
fredski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #45
28RPU

I am not a hoarder, I just never throw anything away or sell it..☺
Old 09-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #46
SeaSlugs

Both of my grand parents i wouldnt say hoarded stuff but didnt throw anything away either. One of them would save any nut bolt screw hinge etc and sort them and label them in boxes to be neatly stacked up along the basement wall. Its like going to ACE hardware when you go down there. My other grandpa saved all sorts of stuff that if it had a good part left on it in the barn it went.

Sometimes i think its that leftover mentality from depression era to never throw anything away if it has some sort of value.

I am perfectly happy/grateful for the hoarders of model A parts out there that sell or swap stuff. Now i understand where the people who refuse to sell anything come from to a point. If thier restoring a car i wouldnt want to get rid of anything i may need either - BUT more often than not they arent and just refuse to sell anything. Or they see their stuff being worth its weight in gold and will sell it for 10X its value...
Old 09-28-2014, 10:47 AM   #47
160B

Quote:
Google "HECTOR THE COLLECTOR" for Cute Poem about This.
http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/hector-the-collector/

Hector the Collector
Collected bits of string,
Collected dolls with broken heads
And rusty bells that would not ring. Bent-up nails and ice-cream sticks,
Twists of wires, worn-out tires,
Paper bags and broken bricks.
Old chipped vases, half shoelaces,
Gatlin' guns that wouldn't shoot,
Leaky boats that wouldn't float
And stopped-up horns that wouldn't toot. Butter knives that had no handles,
Copper keys that fit no locks
Rings that were too small for fingers,
Dried-up leaves and patched-up socks.
Worn-out belts that had no buckles,
'Lectric trains that had no tracks,
Airplane models, broken bottles,
Three-legged chairs and cups with cracks.
Hector the Collector
Loved these things with all his soul--
Loved them more then shining diamonds,
Loved them more then glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,
'Come and share my treasure trunk!'
And all the silly sightless people
Came and looked ... and called it junk.

Sheldon Allan Silverstein
Submitted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
Old 09-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #48
DougVieyra

After giving some thought to this ('hoarding') question, and reading the many comments posted here, I just don't see the 'beef'.

With all the myriad of parts suppliers and of the endless supply of newly-made (and constantly increasing) parts for the Ford Model A - why all the hub-bub about some crusty old codger who has a bunch of greasy, rusty old junk.

A great many people would much rather have a shinny new (non greasy, non rusty, non wore-out) part. And they don't have to clutter up their garage and basement (for years and years - decades) with unneccessary old junk. Just buy what you want when you need it.

If some crusty old curmudgeon feels good about filling up his house with seldom - if ever - used junk, just be thankful that it is him and not you !
Old 09-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #49
ursus

I have known of several parts hoards that disappeared with the death of the owner because the family held an all or nothing sale with an exaggerated price for the lot. When nobody stepped up to buy it all went to the dump. In one case the hoard included both A and T parts and the A and T guys couldn't come to an agreement on the split, so off to the dump it went. In another case, the owner had all the used and rusty stuff in a barn and all his NOS and pristine rare items in a locked storage facility (the NOS stuff was shelved 10 feet high). His daughter didn't see any difference between the two so, when the rusty stuff failed to sell at an inflated price, she assumed the good stuff wouldn't also sell and had everything hauled for junk. Sad but true.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #50
J Franklin

I am not a horder per-say. but I do have a few boxes of extra parts stashed just incase. I have tried to clearly label and put a fairly current price estimate on most of these so when I croak my wife or heirs may have some sense of its worth and not just haul it off.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #51
hardtimes

Hey ericr,
Everyone has an opinion, eh, and I like reading each and every one for people's take on life and 'things'. Very revealing to read and contemplate.

My opinion, well first I do not believe that the people that are referred to here as hoarders , have anything to do whatsoever with 'newbies'. There is a heck of a lot more going on , IMO, with hobbyist , collectors and/or 'hoarders' than is understood here, as shown by a lot of comments given so far. If looking for 'reasons' , there are some, that people can be lumped into. One is older people, who save things that others would/did threw away, i.e.-in this case old cars and parts. Another category is... smart older people, who without a lot of resources , recognized (somehow?) that saving certain things, was prudent and maybe spent meager $ for scarce old car parts. Then there is the category of wealthy collector who loves a hobby and has the resources to buy any and all he sees.
Now I asked those whose opinions are against any of these category's of people...WHY such opinions ? If obtained legally and fruits of honest labor/investments...why call such car part collecting people derogatory names, i.e.-hoarders ? I've never heard collectors of coin/stamp/newspaper/stuffed animals/trains/whatever, called hoarders. IMO, people who do collect anything in large quantities have a personality quirk that can be psychologically classified, but that still does not make such behavior worthy of denigration/name calling !
Personally, I know LOTS of people , who you call hoarders, with huge collections of old car 'stuff'. Some have stayed with rare, exotic and hard to find parts..because that's what they have ALWAYS done and have the wherewithal to do it. Some have lots of old funky junky car parts that others cast off to them instead of sending to scrapper. Most of these collector people that I know are old ...and smart ! They do not sell, even though life's end is looking them in the face !! So what, I didn't pay for of work for their collections, so I would never presume to tell them that they are 'hoarders' ...and should part with their collection , so that I may have some part. Without getting political here, there is also a classification for one who has the ingrained belief that...hey, you have two of those and you don't need two of those , when I have none so I'll just take one ! Yeah , those exist in abundance today.
I will confess here tho that I have a prejudice against certain type of 'hoarder' personality. This could be the same one that some here profess not to like, and that is the one who boasts that he has umpteen tractor trailers full of those rare/scarce widgits and they are all not for sale, so you want to hear about and see them.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:13 PM   #52
34pickup

Advice to all the hoarders out there who are on the FordBarn:

Please tell all your family members just what all your junky parts are worth.
Make them understand how valuable it will be to them when you you pass on so that they don't just scrap it all for pennies.
My kids know enough about my "stash" that they wouldn't let it go for scrap prices.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #53
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey ericr,
Everyone has an opinion, eh, and I like reading each and every one for people's take on life and 'things'. Very revealing to read and contemplate.

My opinion, well first I do not believe that the people that are referred to here as hoarders , have anything to do whatsoever with 'newbies'. There is a heck of a lot more going on , IMO, with hobbyist , collectors and/or 'hoarders' than is understood here, as shown by a lot of comments given so far. If looking for 'reasons' , there are some, that people can be lumped into. One is older people, who save things that others would/did threw away, i.e.-in this case old cars and parts. Another category is... smart older people, who without a lot of resources , recognized (somehow?) that saving certain things, was prudent and maybe spent meager $ for scarce old car parts. Then there is the category of wealthy collector who loves a hobby and has the resources to buy any and all he sees.
Now I asked those whose opinions are against any of these category's of people...WHY such opinions ? If obtained legally and fruits of honest labor/investments...why call such car part collecting people derogatory names, i.e.-hoarders ? I've never heard collectors of coin/stamp/newspaper/stuffed animals/trains/whatever, called hoarders. IMO, people who do collect anything in large quantities have a personality quirk that can be psychologically classified, but that still does not make such behavior worthy of denigration/name calling !
Personally, I know LOTS of people , who you call hoarders, with huge collections of old car 'stuff'. Some have stayed with rare, exotic and hard to find parts..because that's what they have ALWAYS done and have the wherewithal to do it. Some have lots of old funky junky car parts that others cast off to them instead of sending to scrapper. Most of these collector people that I know are old ...and smart ! They do not sell, even though life's end is looking them in the face !! So what, I didn't pay for of work for their collections, so I would never presume to tell them that they are 'hoarders' ...and should part with their collection , so that I may have some part. Without getting political here, there is also a classification for one who has the ingrained belief that...hey, you have two of those and you don't need two of those , when I have none so I'll just take one ! Yeah , those exist in abundance today.
I will confess here tho that I have a prejudice against certain type of 'hoarder' personality. This could be the same one that some here profess not to like, and that is the one who boasts that he has umpteen tractor trailers full of those rare/scarce widgits and they are all not for sale, so you want to hear about and see them.
-an alternative and interesting point of view. Certainly, "hoarder" has a perjorative implication and every "hoarder" is first and foremost a "collector".

I think what causes some Model "A" owners to look askance at collectors is the intense desirability of original parts vs. poor quality repros, and a presumption that intense collecting makes extemporaneous acquisition of good originals more difficult. It may be an weak presumption. And as you say, some of those collectors may have been smarter, richer, more prescient, etc.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #54
Rowdy
BANNED

I am all done hoarding. The farm is going to be for sale sometime next year. I had always hoped to be in a position to buy the place when the time came. That did not work out that way do to things I have had no control over. Working hard to move one building off of the place and put it in the back yard for parts. Everything that will not fit in it will have to be stored in my shop until they can be sold. Will start with the T parts as far as selling, good chance much of it will be taken to Chickashae in March. Lots of sorting and dis-assembly this winter. Rod
Old 09-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #55
kelley's restoration

i am sure brent can attest the difference between a hoarder and us (restorers for hire) you never know what car is next and you can only hope that you have the parts in inventory for the next car...to finish it so the next one comes in sooner
hard to find stuff constantly rotates....valve chamber covers stack to the ceiling lol
tk
Old 09-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #56
pooch

My daughter will be my executor and even though she knows how much I like model A/s , she will still get a dumpster in .

She would have no interest in dealing with pickers offering a pittance.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #57
triumphleroy

HECTOR THE COLLECTOR
I always add this additional Line at the end after every body called it JUNK

Hector said BUNK!......

My favorite question always asked by folks is :
What are you going to do with all this stuff when you die?

My reply to their ignorance is: can't do anything with it then!

If my kids want to get rich selling it after I am gone they will have to earn it by figuring out it's value and who to sell it to.................

Still collecting at 72, don't plan to quit...........
Old 09-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #58
J Franklin

There was a nice fellow in my town who couldn't let go of anything. His farther ran a garage during the depression and there were acres of cars left on lien. some piles had been T Fords driven to the spot to decay in the 1940's. He had a few 60' barns full of the best stuff but would never or maybe, possibly rarely sell anything. He would lend you let's say a radiator, & Etc. but expected you to return it. I gave him a '41 Chevrolet and had to take it to the field the back way so his wife couldn't see it coming in. Well He died, and I have been to 1 garage sale that would put a good swap-meet to shame. There was even an Autocar truck, I would think about 1915 there. I once told him in front of his wife before he had gotten sick that there would be such a sale. This man enjoyed his hoard and I think that is the only answer to the question.

Last edited by J Franklin; 09-28-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #59
dumb person

Quote:
I knew a guy born about 1890 who in about 1955 bought a new 1955 Lincoln.

All he talked about was that he had (2) sets of new tires for it as well as about 25 cases of lubricating oil. His reason for storing same was because as a traveling salesman, he could not buy tires & lubricating oil for his car all during WWII.

Even though he was retired in 1955, he felt comfortable with his extra tires & oil -- I always thought, more power to him -- he was happy -- takes all kinds.
That sounds ok as he intendeds and is able to use those over the next 10-15 years. It's not hoarding, that is stockpiling.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Old 09-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #60
DougVieyra

Default Parts Hoarding - requiem

A good point has been brought up by a couple of earlier posts : When the 'Old Codger' dies - what happens to his 'stuff' ? The stuff he knew had value, generally means very little to others outside the hobby, and the scrap yard is certainly one very distinct possiblity. I am in that 'boat'. And I have given some thought of what might be the best way for me to feel good about how my 'junk' is disposed of.

In my 'Last Will & Testiment' I have given instructions that all of my 'old car' stuff be given to : (and I name a good friend who I know will appreciate the barn full of NOS Ford parts).

In the meantime, as I wind down both my life and my collection, I review all the "Parts Wanted" links in all the Old Car clubs : MAFCA, MARC, FORD BARN, Chapter News Letter, etc. When I see that someone needs something, if I have it, I contact them.

The less of this (unknown) stuff for my surviving kin to have to deal with the better. Meanwhile, while I am alive, I continue feeling good knowing that I have a comfortable 'margin of safety' as regards to original parts of my two Model A Fords.

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif. - Docent of Eureka Ford Factory
Old 09-28-2014, 10:36 PM   #61
tbirdtbird
BANNED

This thread will likely never come to an end.

"Hoarder" is not a judgemental term at all, it is descriptive.

Psychologists and psychiatrists have a bible called the DSM5. (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual version5). As you would expect, "hoarding disorder" is in there.
The plain truth is that hoarders don't think like the rest of us so there is no reason to try to change them. And I agree that this does not apply to a resto shop like Brent's or others who need to stockpile parts for builds that they are doing.
Enjoy:

Hoarding disorder is characterized by the persistent difficulty discarding or parting with possessions, regardless of the value others may attribute to these possessions, according to the APA’s new criteria:
The behavior usually has harmful effects — emotional, physical, social, financial, and even legal — for the person suffering from the disorder and family members. For individuals who hoard, the quantity of their collected items sets them apart from people with normal collecting behaviors. They accumulate a large number of possessions that often fill up or clutter active living areas of the home or workplace to the extent that their intended use is no longer possible.
Symptoms of the disorder cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational or other important areas of functioning including maintaining an environment for self and/or others. While some people who hoard may not be particularly distressed by their behavior, their behavior can be distressing to other people, such as family members or landlords.
Hoarding disorder is included in DSM-5 because research shows that it is a distinct disorder with distinct treatments. Using DSM-IV, individuals with pathological hoarding behaviors could receive a diagnosis of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, anxiety disorder not otherwise specified or no diagnosis at all, since many severe cases of hoarding are not accompanied by obsessive or compulsive behavior. Creating a unique diagnosis in DSM-5 will increase public awareness, improve identification of cases, and stimulate both research and the development of specific treatments for hoarding disorder.
This is particularly important as studies show that the prevalence of hoarding disorder is estimated at approximately two to five percent of the population. These behaviors can often be quite severe and even threatening. Beyond the mental impact of the disorder, the accumulation of clutter can create a public health issue by completely filling people’s homes and creating fall and fire hazards.

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 09-29-2014 at 02:24 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #62
BILL WILLIAMSON

Well, IF anyone EVER called me a HOARDER, I'd SIC my Dog on them & say, "GO HOME FOREVER & MIND YO' OWN BUSINESS"
Bill W.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:48 PM   #63
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
After giving some thought to this ('hoarding') question, and reading the many comments posted here, I just don't see the 'beef'.

With all the myriad of parts suppliers and of the endless supply of newly-made (and constantly increasing) parts for the Ford Model A - why all the hub-bub about some crusty old codger who has a bunch of greasy, rusty old junk.

A great many people would much rather have a shinny new (non greasy, non rusty, non wore-out) part. And they don't have to clutter up their garage and basement (for years and years - decades) with unneccessary old junk. Just buy what you want when you need it.

If some crusty old curmudgeon feels good about filling up his house with seldom - if ever - used junk, just be thankful that it is him and not you !
You must have missed the 4 page post called "parts rant".
Old 09-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #64
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
Advice to all the hoarders out there who are on the FordBarn:

Please tell all your family members just what all your junky parts are worth.
Make them understand how valuable it will be to them when you you pass on so that they don't just scrap it all for pennies.
My kids know enough about my "stash" that they wouldn't let it go for scrap prices.

That's the problem, a hoarder sees an unreasonable worth to the stuff he has. This unreasonable amount is then ingrained into any family member so when the owner dies the family feels the money offered is an insult and would rather see it junked then be insulted.

The other problem i see is the shear quantity that some have. Was there not a story here on Fordbarn about a guy that had to "take it all" and spent months removing parts from a property? How many of us have the room for 10, 12 boxes never mind 10, 12 truck loads?
Old 09-28-2014, 11:05 PM   #65
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley's restoration View Post
i am sure brent can attest the difference between a hoarder and us (restorers for hire) you never know what car is next and you can only hope that you have the parts in inventory for the next car...to finish it so the next one comes in sooner
hard to find stuff constantly rotates....valve chamber covers stack to the ceiling lol
tk
To me there are two kinds of hoarders; a person that collects items for future use in times of shortage, and where the perceived importance of the items far exceeds their true value.

Restorers, to me, are the first kind. If a parts is needed it will be used or sold to be used by another.
The second kind just adds and adds and adds, never to sell, use, or part with until death.

So if you have 100 carbs and no intention of parting with even one because then you will have only 99 your the second kind.

I often wonder how the life of the second kind of hoarder would change if they had the money realized from the sale of their hoard. What they could buy, maybe the car of their dreams, or the additional visits of children, grand and great-grand children.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 09-28-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:00 AM   #66
DougVieyra

Mike V. Florida - post # 64 - "You must have missed the 4 page post called "parts rant".

Mike - for all the 'ranting' about crummy reproduction parts, I notice that there are quite a few Parts Houses selling reproduction parts for the Ford Model A. All seem to be healthy, strong, and doing well as a 'service industry'. For all the grips (well deserved) about poor quality, there still remains quite a number of excellent repo. parts being made - and if not excellent, certainly of sufficient quality to please a great number of buyers / restorers.

Having a 'hoard' of original Model A parts, I seldom have need for reproduction parts. But when I do, I do so without any great fear and am generally pleased with the product. And I suspect that a great many other Model A owners also find a great many of the reproduction parts work quite well.

- Doug Vieyra, Cramudgeon Hoader
Old 09-29-2014, 02:42 AM   #67
pooch

And I have read that the only gripe with a brookville repo is the shape of the rivets .

Who is ever going to pick a repo body from an original in 30 years ,(especially if the rivets are corrected ) except for the purists here and the judges, and what happens when they are dead ?
Old 09-29-2014, 05:17 AM   #68
Tom Wesenberg

I'm not a hoarder. I just suffer from lack of storage space.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #69
triumphleroy

In my old mans humble opinion more harm has been done to our world by the all knowing, PSYCHIATRIST and PSYCHOLOGIST than any "old man" collector or hoarder........
Old 09-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #70
DougVieyra

Tom Wessenberg : I'm not a hoarder. I just suffer from lack of storage space.

Tom - I LOVE that line ! Like poetry - it says a lot in its brevitiy.

- Doug Vieyra, Junk Monger
Old 09-29-2014, 03:28 PM   #71
Keith True

I've seen a few piles of iron go for scrap that shouldn't have.I met up with a friend that was doing an estate cleanout,the old fellow had been collecting A parts for over 50 years.All heavy iron.No sheet metal,no horns,no goodies,just frames,engines,axles,wheels,bumpers,etc.I followed my friend into a gas station when I saw he had a load of A parts.He had a pretty good idea of his tonnage,and what he would get for it,and offered me the load for $1500.He got a dozen loads out of the place.He actually paid for the scrap.Other scrappers had wanted money to do the cleanout.The heirs had contacted some Model A people,and got so insulted they put the collection out to bid for scrap.Another problem I've seen with an estate collection is the insurance bugaboo.It has been a problem to get into a yard/barn/collection cleanout without insurance.I had a chance to pick up a couple dozen A engines a few years ago in a barn.I could not step foot on the property,nor could anyone with me without liability insurance and workmans comp insurance for anybody that stepped through the gate.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #72
bart78

That's nuts having to have insurance. I don't think anyone around here would even think about that. And we are in a area with a lot of snakes.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:59 PM   #73
dumb person

i knew someone who had dozens of cars including 5 identical restored cars, left to rot outside for 20 years. He refused to sell any of them & when they were falling into the ground i decided there was enough parts between the 5 to make one good one + a speedster, by then he had crushed them "I didn't know you wanted them".
Seems kinda sad...

i notice some hoarders own land but never build any sheds on them. The money they spend buying things to stack in the mud could buy a nice shed.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #74
Model A Man

Talking Re: Parts Hoarding - requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
A good point has been brought up by a couple of earlier posts : When the 'Old Codger' dies - what happens to his 'stuff' ? The stuff he knew had value, generally means very little to others outside the hobby, and the scrap yard is certainly one very distinct possiblity. I am in that 'boat'. And I have given some thought of what might be the best way for me to feel good about how my 'junk' is disposed of.

In my 'Last Will & Testiment' I have given instructions that all of my 'old car' stuff be given to : (and I name a good friend who I know will appreciate the barn full of NOS Ford parts).

In the meantime, as I wind down both my life and my collection, I review all the "Parts Wanted" links in all the Old Car clubs : MAFCA, MARC, FORD BARN, Chapter News Letter, etc. When I see that someone needs something, if I have it, I contact them.

The less of this (unknown) stuff for my surviving kin to have to deal with the better. Meanwhile, while I am alive, I continue feeling good knowing that I have a comfortable 'margin of safety' as regards to original parts of my two Model A Fords.

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif. - Docent of Eureka Ford Factory
Can I be your new good friend?
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #75
tbirdtbird
BANNED

haha i knew my post would flush out the hoarders....I have known many. Re-read my post and you will realize you are looking in a mirror...

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 09-29-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #76
Chris in WNC

Just be certain your heirs know about the value.

Years ago I took my adult daughter out to my old garage in Florida and told her, "This looks like pure junk to you, but believe me there is some value here. So after I croak, get a couple of my trusted Model A Bubbas in to give you some guidance when you sell it off."

Hope she remembers that when the time comes.

Or better yet, I hope one of my fantasies comes true: either the one where several hundred items (mostly non-Model A) that we want to get rid of are already GONE before Alice & I leave this earth, or the other one where one of my grandchildren wants all my old car stuff.

Gotta keep a few Model A things, just in case I get another one someday but most of it I want gone. If you have occasion to be in the Asheville NC area anytime please come by the house and buy some of it or let me give you a few things that have limited cash value.

Will not cut loose of my Brumfield 5.9 head until Larry announces another production run. Not likely.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:40 AM   #77
Chris in WNC

Quote:
I met a very rich, very young married lady about (5) years ago who said she would be the first & last to visit every advertised garage sale in local upscale subdivisions.

She was extremely intelligent & just loved what she was doing -- i.e., not at all a pack rat -- she just bought & sold & never sought employment.

She told me how much she loved it all.
idle curiosity, H.L. - did the young lady indicate if her wheeling & dealing was the source of her wealth or was she wealthy before she started?
Old 10-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #78
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
In my old mans humble opinion more harm has been done to our world by the all knowing, PSYCHIATRIST and PSYCHOLOGIST than any "old man" collector or hoarder........
Smart Man!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #79
Wrenchy61

Default Bumper Chrome Quality

Howdy,

Last Sunday, I ordered a '31 Model A front chrome bumper kit from Macs for $295. less 15% and shipping. This included the end nuts, bolts and washers as well as the three bumper clamps complete with backing plates.

Today I received the bumper and gingerly opened to box to see a gouge in the chrome on the front side almost the width of the bar. The back sides of these bars have some rough plating but obviously not like the front.

According to the book "Model A Ford Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards, FOMOCO never furnished polished chrome edges and backs of the bars. I would like to hear some comments on whether these bumpers from MACS meet average standards or expectations. Do these bumpers flash rust on the back side?

The end bolt and spacer are chromed which will have to be scuffed to be painted black to look original.

I contacted MACS about the quality who furnished a reference number via email. So far I emailed them and asked if a shipping label for the return would be furnished with that number or when the bumper would be picked up for return. I have not received any information.

My next step is to write to "Matty" in Florida,the CEO of the Eckler group of automotive parts companies. Why not? Companies should be run from the top down not the bottom up.

I am very frustrated with doing a frame up restoration and trying to just have this '31 pickup look like the day my Dad bought it new in June. I am not interested in a Henry or some nickle dime ribbon or lacquer plated trophy.

I would never again do a Model A restoration. I have had nothing but parts vendors, local body shops, engine re-builders, and platters trying to ripping me off.

The body shop specializing in Model A restoration had my all my components including all new running boards, splash aprons, rear fenders, and a hood for the winter to paint along with the cab and the front fenders. The box and the cab were cherry. The chassis was done separately by another vendor. Come spring, I got the bill for $17,000. spring. There were runs in some components and unpainted areas in the cab. To top it off, this guy was a religious freak handing out prayer cards and pictures.

These same Jesus freaks painted the headlight buckets but returned very few parts. I have spent over $125 to out fit the headlights. This does not include the replacement of a new reflector and a new outer latching rim. The freak substituted the chrome plated steel rim of a 28 or 29 and kept the stainless steel rim, and substituted a pitted reflector for my silver plated reflector.

I dropped off my front bumper to be chromed at an Appleton area shop for an agreed upon price of $400. When I got home the shop foreman called to say the bumper needed straightening for an additional $50 because they had to send it out. I returned to see the bumper had been heated and straightened which was debatable whether this was really needed. They never sent it out. I picked up the bumper and ordered the entire bumper kit from MACS.

An engine re-builder in Green Bay quoted a price of about $750 to balance the original Model A engine, replace the cam with my furnished cam, and installed stainless steel valves, new furnished gaskets, and adjustable lifters. When I returned to pickup the engine, the bill was $1600 plus tax. The idiots ran the stud bolts so deep into the block that almost every cylinder head stud nut is short of two threads.

Then the splash aprons from Gaslight are of such poor quality that the hole for the spare tire mount is 1/2" off of center and the aprons don't fit the front fenders. Next summer I am going to install my original aprons.

I don't want to cry on anyone's shoulder but just want to let people know the pitfalls that I have encountered trying to do my best with this restoration. I am constantly returning poor quality parts and trying to correct the required quantities.

Take care and God Bless,
Maury

P.S. I think these religious freaks figure they are forgiven even before they sin because they are the chosen ones!
Wrenchy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #80
pooch

Wrenchy I feel for ya ,

Nothing worse than being ripped off ...and a lousy job to boot .

And the bumpers are quite easy to straighten cold in a press.

Maybe the idiots don't even realize there should be a 1/4 inch bend out in the middle anyway.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #81
J Franklin

Although these last few post are really off topic I had to respond. I think you need to be more stern and forthright with these people and not just take it. Get the parts back you sent and don't pay inflated bills you did not approve!!!!! Small claims court still works and You don't need or can use a lawyer.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #82
out plowing

WANTED: Under privileged beginner seeking over privileged hoarder to pass along knowledge and parts.
out plowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #83
Wrenchy61

Sorry, I made a mistake when I tried to post this as a separate thread. I guess I won't post any more so as not to offend anyone. I just don't know why it jumped in here.

As for trying to get money and parts back, try it. I have gone to small claims court and won in another unrelated case. But these cases, either you pay or drag it out in the courts. I don't mind getting nicked but what I do mind is the $17000 where the billings were so convoluted and distributed over several parts by the religious freak wife, there was no way to do any cost accounting.

The last time I drove past his business, it didn't look like he had any restoration work. All this has probably caught up with him.

Now I am having some seat and seat back upholstery done. The guy is a member of our club and has put the cost in writing and the materials he will furnish. These guys are few and far between.

His cost to install my kit and new springs plus his spring covering etc. is $225 whereas the local auto upholstery shop was $825. This is a rip off area of Wisconsin.

Take care,
Maury
Wrenchy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #84
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I'm not a hoarder. I just suffer from lack of storage space.
Tom,
That's my favorite post about this yet! I think Vince was along the same line.!

Larry S.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #85
southfork

I'm wondering if I didn't stumble on part of some Ford "hoarder's" estate, as disposed of by an family heir, insulted or otherwise.

I was at a metal recycling yard about 6 or 7 years ago and found where someone had unloaded a bunch of vintage Banger heads. There were about 6 or 7 heads, all Ford Model A or Model T, laying there in the dirt in the scrap yard. I looked them over and couldn't see any obvious cracks or other defects, so I purchased them all from the scrap yard at 15 cents per pound (a dollar or two each). A couple of the heads (which I still have) appear to be high-compression Model A/B heads, since their combustion chambers are smaller than the regular Model A combustion chambers.

Anyway, if anybody has a better explanation/suggestion as to why a wheelbarrow full of apparently good vintage heads would have been sold as iron scrap, I'd like to hear it.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #86
bart78

I have a deal with the scrap yard here. To guy the flathead v8's at scrap price. The usually get a few a month. Some are not worth taking home.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #87
SeaSlugs

Hmm some of the scrap yards around here refuse to sell anything out of the yard. Once it goes in it stays in apparently. I hate going there as i fear i may see something that's worth somehting...
Old 10-01-2014, 11:12 PM   #88
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart78 View Post
The usually get a few a month.
That is terrifying. If you know how much effort went into making them in the first place it is terrifying

Old 10-01-2014, 11:23 PM   #89
bart78

It would seem nuts that they end up there. But most around here don't care about them. And for how little rain we have had over the past few years. Most of these people would rather have the money. To buy hay and whatever else. And a bunch of these old farmers and ranchers are dieing off. And their kids clean the place up. And sell it. A few months ago. There was a 49 ford school bus at the scrap yard. I don't know what happened to it. I only saw it once. I drive by there every day. The landfill I run is right down the road. I have found two a motors and four transmissions in the scrap pile at our landfill. People just don't care.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #90
southfork

Oh, yeah. I just remembered another time that I went to the iron scrap yard once when an oldish woman was emptying vintage metal from the back of her old station wagon. Most of it was Model T stuff, but she set out of Very nice pair of 30/31 Model A roadster doors on the pile. They still had weathered 'Bell Telephone' logos painted on the outside of the doors. As I snapped them up, she told me that her late husband "was into old cars, but now he is dead."
Old 10-02-2014, 07:33 AM   #91
Will N

It's true, as many guys have said in this thread, that if they didn't hoard the parts, they would have gone for scrap by now. But it's also more than likely true that after they're dead, their kids or grandkids are going to sell what they think is a pile of scrap to the recycler for .20 per pound. If you're never going to use or sell the parts- and be honest with yourself, you know what projects you have time for- then hoarding is a kind of mental illness. That's not just my opinion, that is a fact. Look it up. But on the other hand, buying to develop an inventory and then selling those parts is a great service to the hobby.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #92
cradlescyth

hi
I must be crazy as I buy stuff and keep it - DO NOT own a model a yet.???

The items I buy are things I think I'll need when I purchase the car.

Right now they are reasonable priced or I will not buy them.

If a friend needs something I have I will let it go either as agift or at a price he or she thhinks is fare.

If that's hording??? I'm gulty
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #93
J Franklin

OK now we see the problem, maybe the will should declare in our will a local club or maffi the heir to the hoard.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #94
DougVieyra

Anticipating the government's adiction to ever higher taxes, and increasing both taxes and NEW things to tax, I have moved my entire 'hoard' of Model A parts to an 'off shore' storage vacility in the Grand Cayman Islands, having first 'laundered' them through an agent in Switzerland.

But now, as I see I no longer need any of this huge hoard of Model A parts, I invite anyone who has a serious 'need' for any of the parts to submit (in triplicate) Form No. 3974l for consideration. All of these items will be given to you 'gratus'.

However, I will not be involved in 'discussions', measurements, descriptions, research, etc. on any of these objects, as it would be an extremely time consuming activity. All items (and they are FREE) must be inspected and reviewed by the receiver in person. Also, the FREE item must be picked up in person. I will not do any 'handling, packaging, or shipping'.

The hassle of getting rid of these parts is the main reason that many of us 'hoarders' still have much of our original Model A parts. It is not so much that we are 'hoarders' as it is that at our age (OLD) we just do not have the energy, or inclination to enter into another 'job' in our lives. So we take the easy way out - do nothing.

- Doug Vieyra, former hoarder - Grand Cayman Islands - (75 degrees)
Old 10-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #95
J Franklin

Maybe a solution but auction comes to mind when I see a lot of hard to ship parts. Maybe we should put that on the bucket list.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #96
BlueSunoco

I know a fellow Fords Parts Manager who in the early 70's was buying, at dealer cost, scads of Shelby and high performance NOS parts. He has a two car heated garage literally packed with the stuff.

Today, with prices of NOS parts he is sitting on a stack of cash. No way he will ever sell any parts, to anybody, and he's pushing 80 years old now.I only wish it were ME

Hoarding is only wrong if you are on the wrong side of the stash.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #97
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
.................................................. ....................................Hoarding is only wrong if you are on the wrong side of the stash.
right on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #98
Ted Duke

I'm not a hoarder. Working to get mu 1929 Model A roadster pickup finished. My next project will either be restoring my wife's 65 Mustang (unless I can find a doable Ford Model A Victoria) or my 1961 and 62 CORVAIRS. I love older cars.

All of my boys helped with my Model A and are still somewhat involved (jobs permitting). My eldest son has restored a 1949 Chevy five window pickup, the next in line has two Mustangs in some stage of progress and the youngest son has restored a Toyota Landcruiser and MY 1966 International pickup (1200A), both to like new and his present project is a 1949 (? I think) Studebaker pickup.

My point is:

my 29 FORD , my CORVAIRs and whatever I collect will NOT go to the junkyard. I have two daughters who will fight the sons for some of it (and 4 of 10 grandchildren who are old enough to stake a claim.

I have 30 acres and a large and small barn in addition to my shop. Anyone wanting to unload a hoard of Model A stuff, I have room. 35 and 36 Ford's welcome too.

Seriously,

Ted Duke
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #99
bart78

There is a guy a few towns away. That baught a ton of nos A and T parts from a dealer that closed in the 50's. I have been told to come look at all of it. He said he had a bunch of stuff. Said he even had some fenders and and other sheet metal. And even some rear ends and lights. And even some new aftermarket parts that are old. He said he had no interest in the stuff anymore. Catching him at home has been hard.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #100
Will N

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
I know a fellow Fords Parts Manager who in the early 70's was buying, at dealer cost, scads of Shelby and high performance NOS parts. He has a two car heated garage literally packed with the stuff.

Today, with prices of NOS parts he is sitting on a stack of cash. No way he will ever sell any parts, to anybody, and he's pushing 80 years old now.I only wish it were ME

Hoarding is only wrong if you are on the wrong side of the stash.
If he's never going to sell any of his parts, his "stack of cash" is essentially worthless. You can't mail a Shelby fender to your mortgage holder to pay your rent. It is only a potential stack of cash, and the only way to make it an actual stack of cash is to sell it. But if he'll never sell it, it is worthless to him.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote