Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
DICK SPADARO

Default Does lack of an 800 Telephone number deter ordering from parts houses?

Hi guys this is like a survey. I'd appreciate some input.

Most of us in business have an 800 style number to help generate business but the question is now becoming to what extent is it a help or liability. Since the expansion of cellular phone use it appears that most people now use their cell phones to make calls and most people have unlimited calling plans or even bundled unlimited packaged plans combined with internet use.

Whether you know it or not if you use your cell phone to make a call on an 800 number you are billing the owner of the 800 number for the call that is being placed on your unlimited call account for the time duration. Your call may use up some of your minutes but the 800 owner pays for accepting it, so you pay in minutes, 800 owner pays in cash like a little double dip.

This was brought up by another business associate when we were discussing expenses incurred in doing business as an area that needed to be addressed. Since the cost of an 800 number is factored into the cost of goods sold would it be better to eliminate the free phone number to help cut down a business expense and use this as a way to control price inflation on products meaning a potential of less inflation on parts prices. Or do you need the toll free number to be the significant motivational factor for you to purchase from a vendor?

What is your take on this? 800#Important to have or no, 800# not that important.

Thanks for your thoughts, DS
Old 03-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: Does lack of an 800 Telephone number deter ordering from parts houses?

I go along with eliminating the 800 #.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
dean333

Send a message via Yahoo to dean333
Default Re: Does lack of an 800 Telephone number deter ordering from parts houses?

I agree that most of us do use our cell phones. The 800 number does not motivate me to call a vendor but that's the number most prominently advertised. I would still call if I didn't have an 800 number.
dean333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
trainguy

Dick,Evreything being equal a 800 number can be a tie breaker.A 800 number wouldn't tempt me to order from a questionable vendor.Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
V8 Bob

The 800 number is not important with my phone service any longer.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #6
Kube

Like others, I too feel an 800 number would not make a difference in whether or not I called a reputable business.
IF on the other hand, I called to walk through those darn recorded messages guiding me to press this and press that and / or be put on hold, well, yeah, I would probably look elsewhere.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
super flat

Dick, it is not a deal breaker for me,I do not look for that as a must! cancel is my vote. Gary
Old 03-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Although most of my cold contacts come from the internet, each new client is worth so much that I easily justify the expense of a toll free number for the few that call me on it. When I compare the money I make off of it to the cost of it the return is enormous.

My 2¢
Aren't you the guy (attorney) that specializes in getting folks on to disability?
Old 03-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
Mike in Mass

Hey Dick ,I can,t remember the last time I used an 800 number,,Its been a while I will say it was probably to call back a bill collector some how it makes me feel good ! Allso I find that when I do use a 800 number for some cross country order ,they will rush you off the phone with quick answers, Iyhink its a generational thing ,older people like/use it younger people could care less mp
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #10
Shadetree

Our home phone has unlimited long distance too, so it makes no difference here. I never thought about it before.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #11
oldford2

Dick,
On the orders I have placed with you I always call direct and not on your 800#. That way I know I can talk to you or ? since I always have questions about an order. We have unlimited cell and home phone service so a "free" call doesn't make any difference.
Always a pleasure to get parts from you.
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #12
TJ

I have unlimited long distance on my phone, so it's not a problem for me if the vendor does not have an 800 number. The 800 number usually gets you the "phone tree", but the regular number usually gets you a real person. I base my purchases on being able to ask questions to a real person and if that person is knowledgeable about the product. If getting rid of the 800 number saves you money, go for it.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #13
oldford2

Talking Re: Does lack of an 800 Telephone number deter ordering from parts houses?

Re: Does lack of an 800 Telephone number deter ordering from parts houses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry
Although most of my cold contacts come from the internet, each new client is worth so much that I easily justify the expense of a toll free number for the few that call me on it. When I compare the money I make off of it to the cost of it the return is enormous.

My 2¢

Aren't you the guy (attorney) that specializes in getting folks on to disability?

O K Kube, now be nice, Ryan may be watching. You know what happened to your friend Ken
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #14
Mike51Merc

As cheap as long distance calling has become, 800 numbers are not important anymore.

I remember when a $5.00 long distance phone call was a VERY big deal. Now it costs pennies.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #15
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

How many customers don't have or don't use an email address or paypal??
Those things might correlate with slightly old fashioned perspectives on phone use.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #16
Vic Piano

Keeping the thread on the subject of early V8 Fords, a lot of the related businesses have an 800 or toll free phone number reserved for ordering parts, while they have a regular phone number for tech support, etc. In a niche market like vintage Ford parts, I would not be put off if a vendor did not have a toll free number to call.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #17
Kruzn40

Most of my parts orders are done via the internet. But if I needed to speak with someone I have no problem calling a toll number at a reliable business to order quality parts at a fair price. Good parts that fit trump the 800 number every time.
Kruzn40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
Don

Unlimited calling on land line ..
Old 03-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #19
Fourdy

I am happy to call with my cell.

Fourdy
Fourdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #20
swedishsteel

An easily navigated website is more important to me than an 800 number. If a vendor has what I need the phone number doesn't matter. However, if I'm searching for a part and the website says they have it but I have to enter the year and model and make, etc, etc of the vehicle I'm working on, I don't bother. Direct answer to your question--no an 800 number doesn't influence whether I call or not--if you have what I'm looking for, I'll call if need be. Rod
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #21
Willit Stop

My 2 cents:I don't have a cell and I don't have unlimited calling.If I was ordering a part and had a choice between two or more businesses that sold the same part for the same price (or close) and only one had an 800 number,I would choose the business with the toll free number.By the way,my phone still has a crank on it.
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #22
funrunr

Hello Dick, If I was ordering out of country I would use the 800 number. If it's within the states I don't get charged. People calling you from Australia, New Zeeland or wherever, I think would be the ones to benefit from your 800 number. It would probably be best to look at how much business you get from out of country customers. Thanks for your service over the years. Mark
Old 03-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #23
34billct

I vote for eliminate the 800 #
34billct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #24
ford38v8

Dick, I don't have a landline at all, and I have always felt I recieved better service from a regular line than an 800 number anyway. As for choosing between two vendors based on who has an 800 number, that would count zero on my checklist.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #25
Fordors

I vote for canceling the service. Not having an 800 number would never affect my decision to call a business, and on the other hand when a parts supplier (as some I've seen advertised) has only an 800 number and no address listed I would never order from them. I prefer to know who I am dealing with.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #26
Brian

Hello Dick, If I was ordering out of country I would use the 800 number. If it's within the states I don't get charged. People calling you from Australia, New Zeeland or wherever, I think would be the ones to benefit from your 800 number.

I am in New Zealand...I don't think that 0800 deal works when ringing from overseas. Irrespective...I'll always order on line. I don't think you guys could understand our accent, even if I did ring!!!
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #27
ct1932ford

I have an unlimited plan so I do not use the 800 #'s
ct1932ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #28
billwill

If I need anything an 800 number would not stop me calling
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #29
34pickup

It is definitely important to me. I do not have long distance phone service or use a cell phone so I order mostly everything over the internet and also communicate with the companies that way if they do not have a toll free number. There are more of us old fogies out here than you may realize that do not use a cell phone.
There have been several occasions in the past whereby I tried to get information from a company concerning parts but they would not respond to the email and they had no 800 number so I bought it elsewhere.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #30
Marv

If you have a phone, a number, and answer it. That's close enough.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #31
FHFD

Whenever a business can save on operating costs, and passes it on to the consumer, I will always vote yes.
Cell phones, and the unlimited minute programs, tend to negate the need for 800 numbers.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #32
BUBBAS IGNITION

Dick,

Good question , our 800 number doesnt work out of country and every one seems to have unlimited cell etc. My vote would be to get rid of the 800-809 numbers especially based on what they cost....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #33
GaryTx

I try to avoid 800 #s. I have unlimited calls on my cell phone. It is not fair for the vendors to pay for my calls.
GaryTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #34
bbrust

I also have unlimited long distance on my land line and seldom use my cell phone. I'd vote to dump the 800 number.
bbrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #35
dwick01

No land-line here. No need for 800# in my case. If I had my druthers, I would rather order online.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #36
RKS.PA

So, Dick, looks to me like you should bag the 800 # and reduce the expense because nobody really values it as relates to doing business with you. I value your advice and service as do many others here to the extent the "free" call doesn't matter.

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #37
Steves46

I think the 800 number has outlived itself; generally, I order everything on-line. Steve
Old 03-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #38
Ken Arms

More important is a warm body that answers, one that is friendly, always tries to help. Thats the number I call! Ken
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #39
BL in NH

Times change. The day of the 800 number is fast disappearing!
BL in NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #40
paul2748

For me, an 800 number or not would not make any difference. Lots of time I use the regular number because I have unlimited long distance.

However, there are people that don't have unlimited long distance. A toll free number could mean a sale or a no sale. Depends on how many customers you would lose if you didn't have it. How many customers are you willing to lose because you don't have it?
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #41
Charlie ny
BANNED

Dick,
Zero difference to me....it's the guy behind the business not the 800#
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #42
Heard

Dick,
I place WAY more importance on the service I get.
I want a human to answer the phone.
I want someone who is knowledgeable.
I want someone who provides good service after the sale.

Spending a few cents either way on the phone call is not an issue for me.

Having said that, you can save a bundle of money on the 800 number if you can get away from the main carriers (ATT, Sprint, etc.). I did this years ago for my business. I think my 800 number for my business costs about $10 per month now.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #43
jim1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Dick,
On the orders I have placed with you I always call direct and not on your 800#. That way I know I can talk to you or ? since I always have questions about an order. We have unlimited cell and home phone service so a "free" call doesn't make any difference.
Always a pleasure to get parts from you.
John
Isn't the other guy Bill?

I don't pay any attention to whether it is 800 or not.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #44
APDAVE

I agree no need for 800 number on my phones! Dave
APDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #45
Bader

So, if I send you a letter and order a quikchange,how much is my discount?
Bader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #46
epw1949

I think most businesses that have a toll free 800#want your business,and are not thinking about the cost added to the product your buying. Also at 65 years old,I have a hard time believing that the cost of any business droping there 800#,will lower there product price,but instead increase there profits. I do not have a long distance phone carrier,and I only use my land line to call local,and 800#s.And if what I read above is true,I would not be using my cell phone to make 800#s,if it uses up my minutes,because that would be adding to the cost of the product I would be buying. So I say, keep the 800#,walk to work,eat less,or sell more product. E.P.W.
epw1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #47
41panelmark

800 is no big deal anymore.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #48
Joe AZ

Not a deal breaker for me.......I usually dial the direct number, if given a choice.
Joe
Joe AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #49
okiedokie

Not important to me. Cancel it.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #50
Ken Bull

Save some $ 800#s are going like landlines are going. And thanks for your advice and parts when I was restoring my 40 PU & my 36 Cabriolet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kens 36 cabriolet @ Car Show.jpg (86.4 KB, 6 views)
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #51
joel

No need for the 800 #, I also use the cell. However, I prefer the land line for passing CC info.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:27 PM   #52
Tinker

If the question is if an 800 i will get a cheaper price? No the number will not matter. What would matter is if the service is solid, talking to someone in the company. Ill wait for a better product, i'd always pay a bit more for a better product or service. I agree with the statement of internet ordering. Its a big deal and if done right will increase return customers.

Product will always be key to sales.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:52 AM   #53
Zeke...PA

Like some others I like to order on line 24/7 makes it easy. Zeke
Old 03-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #54
Terry,OH

Every time I dial an 800# with my cell, I feel like I've gone back in time. Total waste of $. Your survey doesn't reach the folks that only have a land line and no computer, it may be biased.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #55
john in illinois

Dick it makes no difference to me. I will try to call on regular line now. I did not know an 800# was billed per call.Good thread.
John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #56
36Bill

Am 800# is handy calling from a pay phone, if you can find one.

Bill
Old 03-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #57
42panel

Makes no difference to me.
42panel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #58
Kerk

Dick, I use a regular number when available and do not feel bad about asking questions and enjoy talking to a person who will take the time to try to help the customer on the other end. I tend to avoid the 800 numbers.Kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #59
Rowdy
BANNED

All that matters to me when ordering parts is the quality of what they sell and their ability to solve problems when one arrises. Rod
Old 03-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #60
BILL WZOREK

Dick:
We have a dumpster Bussiness thet when we bought it we added a 800 # thought it would help sales. and as it turned out we " NEVER " receved 1 call on that line.

As it turned out the 800# makes you far & distant / people want to know where you are not that it changes the service but it is peace of mind.

We both know that our business is built on ¢ not The $$$$ that a lot of peolpe may think.

So put the 800# in the circular file & keep giving the great service that we have been known to receive yet take for granted when we all.

BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #61
41LjH

If a vendor has a 800 number I always DO NOT use it. I have found it much easier to get through on the regular number. My only phone is an unlimited cell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #62

Dick, No Need For The 800 Number.
3340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #63
sidevalve8ba

Personally I feel that an 800 number is rapidly becoming a relic of the past. Kind of like me. I use my cell phone or my computer these days so I have no objections to dialing a non-800 number. I sure do prefer to talk to a real human being on the other end rather than one of those computer generated call directories though.
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #64
SkipShift

Both my cell and home phone have unlimited nationwide calling. 800 no advantage for me and if I have to wait for calls answered in order a disadvantage.
SkipShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #65
32phil

Dick I always call you on the NY number. no charge to me and you don't get hit with the 800 charge. I know about the 800 charges when I was working, so I avoid them when I can.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #66
Tony, NY

It's a little different for me. I am local to Dick's place. If I need something, just hop in my truck and drive over.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #67
jughead

I have no long distance carrier on my land line and rely on a prepaid cell phone when 800 numbers are not available. But cell phone service in my area is marginal at best, sometimes forcing me to leave the house to make a call. I do most of my shopping on line but once in a while need to talk to someone about parts availability etc. 800 numbers are a convenience but not a show stopper for me.
jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #68
mfagan

Cell works just fine!
mfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #69
37slantback

I have talked to you a few times in the past when I bought my fenders and never really thought one way or the other about whether it was a 800 number.
37slantback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #70
Allan Lundblad

800 number is not a priority for me. I use my cell phone and call whatever phone number is shown. I have no problem with a non 800 number. My vote is to drop it.
Allan
Allan Lundblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #71
fordy_nine

I see no need for an 800 number nowadays. If there is one, I usually avoid it....Bob L
fordy_nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #72
FL&WVMIKE

If the 800 charges are too high for you, You should probably drop them. You might miss a few customers, but I think most people have unlimited calling by now.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #73
Shu47

800 number no longer matters to me. My service allows unlimited long distance if I need to call. Most of the time I prefer to do my ordering and all but the most difficult communications on line. So for me a strong web site is more of a motivator than an 800 number
Shu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #74
DavidG

Dick,

If you have a significant Canadian customer base, you might want to slow walk abandoning your 800 service. I believe that Canadians with cross-border service without expensive roaming charges are a small minority, just as Americans with cross-border service into Canada are a small minority of cell phone users. If you don't many Canadian customers, then it won't matter.

Dave
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #75
HCO41

I didn't realize a business incurred these charges. If I did, I would never use the 800# . We've had unlimited calling for years, so we get a flat rate bill, no matter where we call. Venders, etc. may as well drop their 800#s, I'll never use one again when a regular number is known.
Ain't consumerism great, no government, no law enforcement, just good friends, it works!!
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #76
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Like others, I too feel an 800 number would not make a difference in whether or not I called a reputable business.
IF on the other hand, I called to walk through those darn recorded messages guiding me to press this and press that and / or be put on hold, well, yeah, I would probably look elsewhere.

This. I think getting a live person first shot is more important that having a 800. It may seem small, but I often hang up when I get a machine instead of person.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #77
Pete
BANNED

The number doesn't matter to me.
I don't own a cell phone and I won't talk to machinery that answers the phone.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #78
Mike B

I might be in the minority, but an "800" number gives me a sense that it's a real company, not someone working out of their kitchen...just me.

Now, that said, I know who most of the vendors here on the Ford Barn are, and know of their integrity, so guys like Dick, Mac, etc...wouldn't concern me at all not having an 800 number...but if folks searching the web are looking for parts an come across Call (609) xxx-xxxx vs (800) xxx-xxxx, they may (as I would) think twice before calling.

I'm not sure how much you have to pay for an 800 number nor how much is added to any particular part...has to be minuscule I'd think?
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #79
Wmgmitchell

It's not important to me, but from a business perspective, I think it's important to be highly accessible to everyone through all channels. The cost of these lines is negligible these days, assuming you're using a carrier other than ATT et al and there are still people out there that don't use cell phones or for whom toll free calls are important.
Wmgmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #80
TagMan

Actually, I prefer to call a non-1-800 line, as I feel I'm contacting the business directly and not through an answering service, which knows little about the product.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #81
seadog

I'd like to add another vote for a LIVE PERSON on the other end of the phone and NO trips through Voice Mail Hell. To me that's much more important than an 800 number. It is, after all, about Customer Service; which I have found to be very good at your shop, Mr. Spadaro!
seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #82
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishsteel View Post
An easily navigated website is more important to me than an 800 number. If a vendor has what I need the phone number doesn't matter. However, if I'm searching for a part and the website says they have it but I have to enter the year and model and make, etc, etc of the vehicle I'm working on, I don't bother. Direct answer to your question--no an 800 number doesn't influence whether I call or not--if you have what I'm looking for, I'll call if need be. Rod

I agree. All my parts ordering is done via internet. It's fast and efficient ( when you live at the ass end of the world) and yes I agree an easily navigated website is more important as I don't want to be "fart assing" around within the site trying to find the bits I want to order. I rarely use 0800 numbers on any phone call I make.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"

Last edited by Graeme / New Zealand; 03-07-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #83
Cecil/WV

Doesn't matter to me, I have no land lines at all. Do what works best for your business.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #84
ems customer service

dick, do you believe me now????
ems customer service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #85
Beecher

I rarely phone 800 numbers when given a choice, and I know many like me. Most 800 numbers you phone wind up going threw big annoying automated answering thingies , which must cost a bit of dough, and rarely help the customer at all, in fact, usually irritates them, and they hang up. Where as calling the "local" number, a real live person usually answers the phone. When Ive called you, I didnt use the 800, and someone answered, so not sure if you use a computer on the 800 line or not, but I know plenty that do. Then of course there are the 800 numbers that only work in certain areas (MANY 800s cant be called from Canada, and its usually when you only have the 800 number), but Ive encounted US to US 800s that can be used from the area I was in, never could figure that one out. Ill use 800s the rare time its an overseas call, but cant even remember the last time I dialed "1800" lol

My family business was also on the flip side of that, we had a 800 number, and no one called it anyway, talk about money down the drain, that was before cells with unlimited nation wide calling even came about. We got rid of it, and no one even noticed.

In the day of emails, VOIP, and unlimited talk, I would say 800 numbers are a bit antiquated. They have their place, mind you.

Will you loose customers, because they wont pay for a LD phone call to you? Maybe. Will it be many? Doubtful.
Beecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #86
Beecher

Talking Re: Does lack of an 800 Telephone number deter ordering from parts houses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
I might be in the minority, but an "800" number gives me a sense that it's a real company, not someone working out of their kitchen...just me.

Funny, my 800 line phone was in....the KITCHEN! lol

just saying
Beecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #87
GreenMonster48

I don't like talking to people and avoid it whenever possible. I know what I'm looking for before I order 99% of the time, so I do my shopping online.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote