Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
Airsho93

Question Amp meter readings normal

Hey Guys, While I was driving around today my amp gauge was reading 10 amps. I know that is a bunch. So what I did was turn on my lights but the amp meter went to 0 or a little less depending on what beam I was on.

Is this normal?
Airsho93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
Paul from Maine

Default Re: Amp meter readings normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsho93 View Post
Hey Guys, While I was driving around today my amp gauge was reading 10 amps. I know that is a bunch. So what I did was turn on my lights but the amp meter went to 0 or a little less depending on what beam I was on.

Is this normal?
That's normal, but not so good for the battery(or the headlights). Buy one of the voltage regulators that replace the cutout. You can then set the third brush to 15 amps charge, but the regulator will limit the amperage to just what the battery needs to maintain a charge. I run Sealed beams which take about 15 amps to operate. With just a cut out and lights off, I would overcharge the battery, boil the acid and maybe warp the plates at 15 amps. But the regulator lets me run the lights without overcharging the battery when the lights are off.
Plus I am not feeding my lights 7 or 8 volts, which diminishes their life considerably.
Paul from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
eagle

I too have the voltage regulator that replaces the cutout. Works just as paul says. I like to take night drives with the family and I had to adjust the 3rd brush before I went and when I got back because I didn't want to discharge the battery at night or overcharge it during the day. The voltage regulator pays for itself just in the extra life you get out of your battery.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Patrick L.

I'm a big fan of the regulator that Tom Wesenberg sells.. It replaces the third brush..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Jerry Parr WI

The proper method is to adjust the charge rate for your driving conditions by moving the generator third brush. The regulator does it for you. Just a modern convenience.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Airsho93

I have Tom's info and will sending the money as soon as I get a bank check. I just had a birthday and got a little money.
Airsho93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

10 amps seems a little high to me for normal daytime driving.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
columbiA

If you want more modern conveniences,put in a Pinto or whatever & you wont have to retard spark,turn GAV,pull choke,adj 3rd brush etc.As for me,the whole idea of having my A,s is to relive driving as it was back in the day.My only concession to modern traffic conditions is overdrive & 5.9 cyl head.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
Patrick L.

A high compression cylinder head and an overdrive is OK, but, a voltage regulator isn't ?? Humm.....
Mike makes a good point.. I don't mind adjusting the third brush, its easy to do.. If driving is mostly during the day, the brush should be set to produce about 3-4 amps.. At night about 12-14 amps.. That brush can be set quickly while checking the oil.. Once done a couple times, you'll know how much to move it..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote