Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
ldj1002

Default Setting carb float height

I have read 2 different ways. One says to turn card upside down and with float level measure from flange to lower edge of bead on float and it should be 1". Says to bend float arm in necessary. If that is correct which is lower bead? The way I an looking at it then or the way it is when in the carb. The other way is with a tool to measure fuel height in bowl which should be 9/16 to 5/8". Since it don't have that tool could I place carb upper casting with float on a plastic dish with flat sides? That dish would act like lower bowl and it is clear. Would be easy to see right where fuel stopped entering.

Right now with 2 gaskets under seat float is 1" from gasket flange to lower bead on float as I am looking at it upside down , ie. where float starts getting larger so 1 part will fit in the other.
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
ChicagoBob

Default Re: Setting carb float height

Yes you can use a transparent container. It's described in some of the old manuals, and it worked for me.
ChicagoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
Tom Endy

My experience has been that the best way to set the float level is to use some type of jig where you can view the actual level. I set it at a nominal 5\8" down from where the top and bottom casting joins.

It is best to never molest the float when trying to set the level. Most of the problems I have seen where the level is off or it won't hold the level is because someone in the past tweeked with the float. If the float does not actuate straight it will push the valve to one side and not allow it to seat properly.

The float level should be adjusted by the thickness of the gasket under the valve. I have encountered floats that were so molested that they were impossible to use.

I have discovered that a new float from Bratton's and a new viton tip float valve from Bratton's usually work perfect with just one gasket under the valve.

It is prudent to take the float valve apart before you install it and check and clean out any brass debris left over from the machining process. Walt does not have complete quality control over his manufacturing suppliers.

Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zenith-A.JPG (39.7 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg Zenith-B.JPG (37.7 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg Zenith-C.JPG (39.7 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg Zenith-D.JPG (42.5 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg Zenith-E.JPG (46.8 KB, 209 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
cars56

This is how I solved my issue with float height
Used 2 clear neoprene gaskets under a modern square Viton needle valve.
Prior to contacting Bert's it took hours of trial and error, leaks, gas pouring out of the carb air inlet. Very frustrating.
After installing the parts listed above the car now runs fine.

Last edited by cars56; 07-27-2011 at 06:26 PM.
cars56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
1931 flamingo

Me thinks the "new" gas is going to screw up your neoprene gaskets. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Me thinks the "new" gas is going to screw up your neoprene gaskets. JMO
Paul in CT

Yeah, that and the viton tipped needle. The ethanol fuel will cause the viton tiped needle to stick closed, then NO gas can enter the bowl. Since the influx of ethanol spiked fuel, I have went back to the original style needle and seat.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
TinCup

The new viton tipped needle is designed for ethanol. Maybe the older units were not but the last two I bought specificaly state that they are resistant to ethanol. I have had this unit on my coupe for 4 years with no problem.

Viton Tipped Float Valve
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Richard Lorenz

The part of the float that presses against the needle should be perpendicular to the needle. Old floats often have a depression where the float pressed on the needle. In some cases the depression pushes the bottom of the needle to the side so that you cannot get a good seal. If this is the case, you should get rid of the depression. One way is to fill it with solder. The solder is soft, but it should last a while. I have soldered a piece of brass shim over the depression.
Richard Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote