Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #41
Pilotdave

Default Re: Compression Problem Revisited - Update - See p2

J Franklin - thanks for the suggestion. Will depend on what those valves look like when I get the head off this time. There's also a pencil lead test that I've read about - similar to the Prussian blue test but different!
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #42
Pilotdave

1930 coupe, that sounds like a great idea. Very clever. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #43
rally 1

While grinding the valve seats, check the intake valve cam lift for that cylinder compared to the others. A wiped/worn lobe and/or lifter will give a low compression reading.
Pretty rare on an A (steel cam), but worth checking.

Ken
rally 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #44
Pilotdave

Yet another good idea - and easy to do while the valves are out of the block. Thanks, Ken.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #45
Frank Miller

Dave you do not need to take the valve out. I do not think it is your problem but to make sure just remove the manifolds and put some air pressure in the #2 cylinder. Spray soapy water in the ports at the valves and see if you get bubbles. I have not tried that but it seems like it might work. I think as some experts have said you have a warped head or the head gasket is not sealing for some other reason. You need a machinist straight edged, not just a flat piece of steel to properly check it. Just my opinion.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #46
Pilotdave

Frankie - nice to hear from you! It'd be easy to do what you are suggesting. I'm getting quite a list.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #47
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotdave View Post
So.....my education continues! Paul and James - interesting that you both recommend installing the gasket with the rolled edge side up. [I was asking mostly in order to establish from which (#2 or #3) cylinder was more involved in the head gasket staining, though I imagine that I installed the new gasket last fall rolled side down.] I'll have to pull the head and have it checked.

How much can the head be milled before it becomes unusable?

Bill - what is the name of the "modern high tech gasket" that you mention? Something like the Premium Head Gasket (A-6051-M) as listed in Synder's catalog?

When running a compression test, should you leave other spark plugs installed when testing each cylinder? I tested compression yesterday with all plugs removed.

Thanks again!
Dave,
It's the same gasket everyone's selling, it's been around quite awhile. Black on both sides, with a stainless core and red silicone lines around EVERY stud & water jacket hole. Mine was marked "TOP" printed on the black & not easy to read!! Black surface is more like modern car gaskets, made to"FUSE" with heat! If this gasket ever failed, something was done WRONG, such as trash, crooked head, crooked deck, cracks, improper torqueing, or not torqueing enough times!!! TORQUE IT "COLD." DON'T LOOSEN NUTS WHEN RETORQUEING.
If any want to argue the last two points, save your typing effort. I DO know my s**t. I'll even BRAG, I'm an A.S.E. Certified Master Auto Technician, retired on disability since 1990, re-take the tests every 4 years, and am STILL CERTIFIED. Why I do this? I don't know! "See, I got CREDINTALS."
(It's a thin gasket, and if you have a "wavy' deck, when checked with an accurate straight edge by a machinest, then use "only the thicker copper gasket." Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 03-13-2012 at 10:10 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #48
Pilotdave

Bill - appreciate the explanation.

All - my project is now on hold as I'm stuck in the hospital for several weeks. I expect that I will spend hours every day on this forum! Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #49
J and M Machine

Actually if you're having problems with the copper gasket sealing the black gasket may not work either. If the block deck is warped and the head surface is out then the only solution may be to get some machine work done.
We just got in an engine that the deck was warped but the head was resurfaced with the black gasket and the gasket couldn't hold the water back from leaking.
A gasket is sometimes only as good as the surface.

www.jandm-machine.com
J and M Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:58 AM   #50
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotdave View Post
Bill - appreciate the explanation.

All - my project is now on hold as I'm stuck in the hospital for several weeks. I expect that I will spend hours every day on this forum! Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
Dave,
Hope you do well, nothing serious I pray. Took Gregg, my son & seat builder to emergency for 5 hours tonight, left hand and arm jumping uncontrolably, faint, weak, etc. He had heart valve replaced & an aneurism repaired 6 years ago. Prognosis was maybe nerve pinched by collar bone & excessive stress from job search & Mom may go to Jesus any moment. Bill Williamson
Old 03-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #51
1931 flamingo

Is there an address for cards?? Hoping you're better soon.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #52
flatheadernie

BILL, I am praying for Dave and Gregg, MOM also, now how are you doing? sounds busy out your way. ernie n tx
flatheadernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #53
Pilotdave

Thanks for your concerns and good wishes. If someone would like to send a card by snail mail, here's my address: Dave Libbey, 44 George Hill Rd, Grafton, MA 01519. I'm dealing with a highly curable form of leukemia - should be through Phase 1 of Chemo in about 4 weeks. This is not how I planned to spend the spring, but we do what we have to do.

Bill, Gregg and your Mom are in my prayers.

Dave