Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
Dick Carne

Default '29 Town Sedan Assist Pulls

I hope to soon start thinking about the interior in my '29 Briggs Town Sedan project, but I remain stumped by the rear door assist pulls. The originals were unique to 1929 cars, and featured what appears to be a piece of robe rail rope with a woven covered finial and tightly packed ball of invidual strands of thread on the end. The ball probably has a diameter something in the area of 1.5 inches. These were mounted on the rear door post with a chrome plated brass end, similar to the ones used to secure the ends of robe rails on the back of the front seat. Smaller examples were also used on the shade "pull downs" or "tassels" as well. Although I have one original piece to perhaps use as a pattern, I have been unsuccessful in finding anyone who either makes a suitable replacement, or who can offer suggestions for replicating another (or two). Can anyone offer any suggestions along these lines?

Thanks in advance for any (and all) suggestions.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: '29 Town Sedan Assist Pulls

Try a sewing class at local technical school or vocational school. Are you near a LARGE city's (NYC, CHICAGO,ETC) garment district??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Dick Carne

Thanks for the suggestion. There are no doubt several technical schools in the metro Atlanta area where I live, but to this point, I've not had much encouragement from any of the material suppliers who have more contact with their technical school customers and counterparts than I.

I'm not so much concerned with the rope or even the finial aspect, but rather the ball and then how to tie it all together. One suggestion an upholsterer in the area made was to turn the ball portion out of wood on a lathe, and then somehow (key point) tie it into the rope. I'm still not certain how to best proceed, but I will try to make some contacts with some of the techinical schools on this end of town.

Thanks for your insight.

Dick
Old 07-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
redmodelt

It is hard to see in the photo, there is a turned wood piece that covers the junction between the ball and rope.

Last edited by redmodelt; 02-17-2016 at 01:49 AM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
1930artdeco

Dick,

I have heard a rumor from MAFFI that there is someone reproducing the tassle for the rear shade for my 30 TS. She may be able to do the assist straps as well. I am at work so when I get home I will try and get the info to you.

Mike
Old 07-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Big Al

Hi dick,
i have a 30 t.s. Murray and it has assist straps. I am about 100% sure your 29 uses assist ropes with the fuzzy ball on the ends if you need the rope, i found some nylon rope in home depot that is real close to the color and size as our robe rope is..however it just might be too large for assist ropes. Chk. It out
on the ball, the ball is covered with the same mohair as the seats. The trick is to strech the mohair to cover the ball without wrinkles. Along with that the robe rope and the assist rope has a little tan lace in bttween the ball and the rope. Same for the robe rope. I think the lace is a tan color.
I just moght have a rope that i took off of a parts car. Let us know how you made out.

Big al

Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
Dick Carne

Thanks to all for the many fine comments and recommendations! I have one original pull with the "threaded ball" on the end that I can use to fabricate some kind of replacement pieces. However, if MAFFI is looking to offer some assistance in this area, that would be exceptional. Any ideas on who might be a good contact at MAFFI? I spoke with Bill Sturm sometime back about this, and he was not aware of anyone attempting to replicate replacements at that time - same with Lebaron Bonney.

In the alternative, an otherwise possible solution may now involve using a piece of mohair with a couple of darts taken in, as Big Al has suggested in one of the responses. Along these lines, the upholsterer that I used to put the top on the car suggested turning the "finial" and a wooden ball as one piece, and then covering the ball and finial in two separate steps using two different fabrics as appropriate (presumably the combined piece would be center-drilled and the rope passed through the combined turning?). Even with this approach, I'm still not sure how to securely attach the rope to the bottom of the ball - perhaps some kind of washer/clamp fitting?

Thanks once again to everyone for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate each of them, and all who make this forum such a great resource.

Dick