Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #81
Chris

Default Re: A-V8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Chris:

Did you dearch that spring? Curious how you got it sitting so flat/low without reversing the eye or z-ing the rear of the frame.

Thanks.

Tim

Nope, just used a Model T rear spring with one leaf removed
Old 05-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #82
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Nope, just used a Model T rear spring with one leaf removed

Interesting. Thanks. I have a T spring in mine with a few leaves removed. Doesn't seem to be sitting as low as yours.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #83
tuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by X38 View Post
Well, I guess you know it all Deuce Man. Why the hell you bothered asking questions beats me. Several people have suggested you get a particular book that covers all the ins and outs about these things, including suggested different ways of doing things. But no, you throw it back in our faces and want people to drip feed you instead.

Some attitude.
yeah didnt make much sence askin questions if you have been doing it forever like Vern.its a good book for info,i just built my first AV8 and i did refer to the book for a few things..like setting up the basic chassis.and my car looks nothin like the BT roadster.the book isnt a blue print just a good tool.
tuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #84
ora masters

Smile Re: A-V8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadA View Post
I used a 39 rear end and torque tube,I did cut the tube and the drive shaft,(did not want to go with open drive shaft),also cut the rear wishbones.I'm not done with the build yet(5 years)so I can't tell you how well it will work. Like hotrodvideo said the bishop / tardel book is an excellent investment.As you will read in the book,I did not box the frame.I guess I'll see how that works out this spring when I have it finished.
Menno
flathead i am driveing mine went by the book all the way almost i did not change windshield
ora masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #85
Chris

This thread is old, but I figured I would show the roadster I was working on. My brother bought it from me and finished it up and got it on the road. He is continuing to do body work and will eventually paint it

Old 12-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #86
Gumpy

cool lookin ride!
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #87
Karl Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The Bishop/Tardel book addressed this by cutting off the F1 frame mount flange and welding on a model A flange after adjusting for a workable length on the sector shaft part of the housing. Vern Tardel also has a little book published that gives good info on both the F1 and F100 box modification for the early Ford conversions and it's available from his web-site.

On the frame boxing, there is a lot of variables about whether to box or not. I have seen some frames that are so rusty at the old 4-banger rear motor mounts that they either have to be patched there or boxed or both. This was an area that got fatigued from years of service and corroded to boot. If the frame breaks there, which has been known to happen, it will kill your ability to steer the car due to the location of the side steer box. If it happens at high speed a person would be lucky to survive it. A fella just has to look it over real well, scratch his head, and decide for himself if he wants to box that area. Its a must if you use a heavier 200+ HP overhead valve engine in there.

Kerby
I shortened the steering box by pushing the two bushings together, leaving enough material to hold a very small seal, cut off end of box. Made a piece of 3/8" plate to fit the frame as a flange... Chamfered for a weld, and preheated parts, used nickel rod to weld 3/8" plate to box.

Still, not a lot of room for the rear exhaust outlet.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #88
Bader

So did this guy ( deuce man) finish this car? Or is he still reading the book?
Bader is offline   Reply With Quote