Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2022, 09:59 AM   #1
mustang1215

Default install 41 motor.

I have a 1936 car that needs a new v8 motor, would a 41 v8 motor go in without too many problems ,and hook up to my car
mustang1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:03 PM   #2
Brian

Default Re: install 41 motor.

You'll need different radiator hoses to suit
Old 05-31-2022, 01:18 PM   #3
johndee138

I had one in my 36. Until it developed a hole in the water jacket down close to the pan rail back by#8 cylinder. I had a new built french block motor at the ready though.
Yes it fit without much trouble at all, and as Brian said the radiator hose situation was really the only "problem". Not that it can't be overcome with pipe and hose rearrangement
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:30 PM   #4
tubman

There is one more thing to watch. Back when Hurst was making mounts for all of the popular engines, they standardized on mounts that would go directly into '41-'48 Fords. They then sold frame adapters to allow these mounts to be used with other cars. They had adapters for Model"A"'s, '32-'34 fords, Chevrolets, Shoe box Fords, etc. They also listed spacers (SP-150) for '35-'36 Fords as the engine sat lower in them than the '41-'48 cars.

Check this Hurst ad from back in the day. They list the spacers for the '35-'36 Fords and none for the later cars. I believe it is something worth investigating to achieve the best possible results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hurst mounts.jpg (92.6 KB, 40 views)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:56 PM   #5
richard crow

see if you can get a 37 eng. you can get a set of block off plates & use your 36 heads. the 37 has insert bearings & is a very good eng. it will bolt right in
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:00 AM   #6
Brian

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
No spacers required for this swap! For bottom hoses, use 8BA bottom hoses. I 'think' Drake offered top hoses to suit 24 stud engine to 36 radiator a while back; possibly now unavailable, but as johndee above says, it is possible to make suitable hoses using sections of hose and pipes.
Old 06-01-2022, 02:20 AM   #7
Brian

You'll want to run the 36 style fan; mounted on the generator. Depending on the crank pulley, you may need to remove an outer sheave in order to clear front crossmember. And use your existing exhaust manifolds, then it'll bolt up to your current exhaust system.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:57 AM   #8
mustang1215

Thank you every one for the advice, now I know what to look for and it is doable. Ed
mustang1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:31 AM   #9
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
No spacers required for this swap! For bottom hoses, use 8BA bottom hoses. I 'think' Drake offered top hoses to suit 24 stud engine to 36 radiator a while back; possibly now unavailable, but as johndee above says, it is possible to make suitable hoses using sections of hose and pipes.
Are your sure about this? I put an 8BA in with truck pumps in a '36 3-window, and the oil pan hit the front crossmember without spacers. After doing a little lookin' around, I came across the Hurst catalog that contains just such a device. I made my own and solved the problem.

Why would they offer them if they are not needed? These guys wrote the book on custom engine mounting systems. I know you're a "21 stud guy" and they made the last of those in 1938, not 1941. I'm just saying it's definite possibility and the O/P should do some checking and measuring before doing the final install.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:00 PM   #10
Brian

yes tubman, I am sure....the op asked about a 1941 engine into a 36....I know nothing about 8BA series engines, however I can assure you any flathead built between 35 and 48 will directly fit into a 36. The points of interference 'could be' the front pulley to crossmember, depending on the configuration of said pulley. Also, because of the radiator layout, must use generator mounted fan. The oilpans are all the same shape 35-48.
33-34 engine mount spacing is narrower, accordingly the 35-48 engine mounts will not line up....spacers are made for that application.
My trusty old 35 becomes the test bed for every engine I build. I've only ever built pre 48 engines. They have all bolted right into place!
Old 06-01-2022, 01:32 PM   #11
tubman

I'd still measure and check.