Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
40cpe

Default '38 deluxe hood side mounting

'38 DeLuxe: Was/is there any padding/welting between the hood side and the fender? Were there spacers/bumpers between the side and the inner fender to create a space between them? I get rattles from them flapping against the fender when I hit a bump. I have all the rubber bumpers, etc, in place and the sides secured at the studs at the top of the inner fenders. Also attached at the hood hinges, center bar, and radiator top. What did Ford do that I'm not doing?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
fourfords

Default Re: '38 deluxe hood side mounting

My '37 Fordor has black welting between removable hood side panels and the fender.
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:55 AM   #3
fordscript

There is fender welting, runs all the way from the bottom of the grille to at least the front of the running board. My 38 deluxe hood sides rattle badly also, what I have found is the hood side rattles against the 3 rubber firewall grommets. You need to get the hood side adjustment so that there is some tension of the hood sides against those rubber grommets
fordscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
johnny

I am working on a 38 club convt. ,Have been fitting the fenders, hood, and side panels My suggestion is to add an additional rubber to the 3 U shaped brackets the sides fit into.I don't think the sides are supposed to touch the side of the fenders, The new u brackets come with a rubber ring ,maybe a good thick O ring would do the job for you . Also if your 38 is a club I could use a bit of information re the rear Quarter inner panel set up Also the horn mounting .Johnny.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
40cpe

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to figure out some padding.

Johnny, My car is a Club coupe. PM me with your questions
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:31 PM   #6
fordv8j

The 38 restoration book says the fender welting can stop at the hood side, the a piece of something is fastened to the inner fender with rhe tabs punched in the inner fender, or the welting can go from runningboard to bottom of grill, depending where car was assembled. the horn bracket bolts to top of frame close to water pumps with two 1/4'' bolts on both sides, the horns sticks out under the radiator, there are holes in the panel behind the grill that they sound through, there are braces bolted to the crossmember with a notch in top that the horns set on....I have some horn parts, if I can help let me know
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote