Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2015, 09:20 PM   #1
Clem Clement

Default power train noise

In third gear my '39 peeekup howls loudly in any speed. We think the tranny is from a '35. Tonite I jacked up the rear and ran the tranny thru its gears. In first and reverse no sounds. Second gear and about 20 is fairly quiet. third gear howls. Pushing in the clutch and letting the rear end slow down, no howling. Pumpkin fluid level is fine. Pumpkin did not get warm with 5 minutes of running. Sound seems to be coming from the rear, but I realize sounds travels in a closed system. Uni is full of Cornhead grease.

what next?
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:42 PM   #2
quickchange34

Default Re: power train noise

Carrier bearings in rear
quickchange34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
V8COOPMAN

In my experience with a couple of different vehicles, that howling turned-out to be pinion bearings. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
Clem Clement

Where is the carrier bearing located? The Green book tied it into the Uni joint.
MAC's catalogue doesn't mention it.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Two carrier bearings.......one on each side of the differential / ring gear assy. DD

Part numbers 4221 and 4222 below, X2!

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 07-31-2015 at 01:17 PM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:18 PM   #6
Clem Clement

Golly. Them's is buried.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Everything on a rear end is "buried" LOL
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:55 PM   #8
rotorwrench

Pinion bearings that are not set up with good turning pre-load on the taper bearings will make a howl under load and it will stop when you take the load off. I'd check there first. Transmission bearings for the main input or the main output will make noise all the time if they are bad. There will also be a fair amount of metal in the oil as a general rule.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:37 PM   #9
Clem Clement

thanks all. How do I adj the pinion bearing?
Old 08-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #10
rotorwrench

If you scope out the detail illustration, you will see two nuts with a lockwasher associated with the pinion shaft. The nut against the forward bearing is tightened to get the preload and the second nut locks it.

There may be a lot of wear in that Timken stack up so it would be a good idea to inspect the bearings for deterioration on the rollers or races. If the bearings have normal wear then they may be able to take a tightening but pre-load is always less on a used set of bearings. I would consider replacing the bearing/race stack. The condition of the gear teeth are also suspect if it's been running this way for a long time. the teeth will wear unevenly and can cause difficulty in setting up backlash during an overhaul.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #11
Clem Clement

Did I mention that with just me in the truck the noise is much less.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:20 AM   #12
Mart

Before you tear anything apart, try one easy thing, if only to "eliminate from enquiries".

My roadster had an awful "banshee wail" that would kick in sometimes. It was worse when cold, and was kind of intermittent. It was getting more frequent so I investigated. It was related to road speed, and did it when in gear, neutral, engine off, engine on. I worked out it had to be something to do with the output side of the gearbox, or the torque ntube, or axle. I had already swapped the axle (luckily not as an attempt to try and fix the noise), so I could rule that and the torque tube out. W was about to pull the engine and box to strip the gearbox when I found the cause, almost by accident.

It was the speedo.

It must have a dry bearing in it or something. I disconnected it and the noise went away.

Long story, easy fix.

At least try disconnecting the speedo cable before tearing anything apart.

Second thing: If the noise is axle related, it does not know what gear you are in. If the noise occurs at a speed where you can get in either second or top, get it at that speed and try in both gears. If the noise is the same, then it is probably differential related. If not, it is probably transmission related.

If the noise only happens at a speed above the speed range available in second gear, then it is probably axle related.

My 33 has a noisy axle that starts making a noise when warmed up at about 55mph. once it starts making the noise, I can play tunes on it by altering the amount of pedal I apply. Once it has started making tha noise I can also detect it at half the speed (25-30mph).

This is a typical worn rear end, and will require a rebuild to fix it. I have chosen to leave it alone for the time being and put up with it as I do not believe it is a sign of imminent failure. (I sand being corrected if anyone can advise).

I describe the synptoms here in case yours is similar.

One last point, don't forget the 39's have a bearing half way along the torque tube. It should have a grease fitting. Try greasing that and also shoot the lube of your choice into the u joint area.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #13
rotorwrench

If other checks don't pan out, you can check the pinion shaft for shake movement after removing the torque tube. This of course would require disconnecting the whole rear drive unit from the shocks, frame, & u-joint and rolling it out from under the vehicle. The pinion shaft normally will have no movement other than normal rotation. If the bearings are loose, it will have noticeable side to side shake and/or in and out play.