Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2022, 05:56 AM   #341
jrvariel48

Default Re: Engine temp rises when I get to cruise speed

So the saga continues...I replaced the Speedway water pumps last night with a pair modified by Skip Haney. The impellers are definitely different. There was nothing wrong with the impellers on the speedway pumps as they're only about 2 years old. No pitting
Because of the rain, I won't be able to test drive today
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 01:40 PM   #342
jrvariel48

Test ride today and there's no difference. 73* outside today and the gauge read 205* at its highest.
Forgot to mention I went back to propylene glycol at a 50/50 ratio

Last edited by jrvariel48; 10-08-2022 at 05:39 AM. Reason: add to post
Old 10-08-2022, 10:40 AM   #343
Bored&Stroked

You need a radiator with a bigger core to dissipate more heat. God only knows you've tried everything else and then some. Hopefully Brassworks will meet you in the middle and get the right solution to your problem.

Best of luck,
B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 12:15 PM   #344
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
You need a radiator with a bigger core to dissipate more heat. God only knows you've tried everything else and then some. Hopefully Brassworks will meet you in the middle and get the right solution to your problem.

Best of luck,
B&S
That's what I'm hoping for. You're right, I tried everything EXCEPT mounting a second fan which is what Brassworks recommended. I told Lee that wasn't an option for me. I don't like running one fan, but I don't have a choice because of the blower, pullies, etc. I'll email him this week.
Old 10-08-2022, 12:45 PM   #345
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvariel48 View Post
That's what I'm hoping for. You're right, I tried everything EXCEPT mounting a second fan which is what Brassworks recommended. I told Lee that wasn't an option for me. I don't like running one fan, but I don't have a choice because of the blower, pullies, etc. I'll email him this week.
I can understand how a second fan would help when the car isn't moving or is at low speed. BUT I think you've told us many times that your temps continue to rise out on the highway at highway speeds. At higher speeds the fans are doing nothing as you're pumping tons of air through the radiator core via the fact you're moving at a high rate of speed.

If your temperatures are rising to 205 on the highway and Lee says that a second fan is going to lower them, then I'm not buying that for one minute. No offense to Lee, but fans (any dang fans) are not helping you at 55 mph.

My goal would be for not higher than about 190 going down the highway - unless it was 100 degrees out and I was pulling some huge grade.

Best of luck, hope you get things sorted out.
B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 05:49 AM   #346
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I can understand how a second fan would help when the car isn't moving or is at low speed. BUT I think you've told us many times that your temps continue to rise out on the highway at highway speeds. At higher speeds the fans are doing nothing as you're pumping tons of air through the radiator core via the fact you're moving at a high rate of speed.

If your temperatures are rising to 205 on the highway and Lee says that a second fan is going to lower them, then I'm not buying that for one minute. No offense to Lee, but fans (any dang fans) are not helping you at 55 mph.

My goal would be for not higher than about 190 going down the highway - unless it was 100 degrees out and I was pulling some huge grade.

Best of luck, hope you get things sorted out.
B&S
B & S That's 100% correct. The only time I see an increase in temp is on the highway. When I get off the highway, the temp drops back down.
Thanks
Old 10-09-2022, 08:35 AM   #347
kurt v

There was a post on a drake rad with problems, out come was plugged tubes from factory, maybe you got a brass works (drake rad style with plugged tubes ) any way to check the flow ?
kurt v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:25 AM   #348
slowforty

One of my friends had an issue where the flat head ran around 200 degrees. But it never got any hotter or lost water, it did have a catch can, He put a piece of tape over the temp gauge and enjoyed the heat while driving in the winter.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 12:00 PM   #349
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt v View Post
There was a post on a drake rad with problems, out come was plugged tubes from factory, maybe you got a brass works (drake rad style with plugged tubes ) any way to check the flow ?
I'm sure there's a formula for that flow ratio, but I don't know what it is. I can put water into the filler neck, but I really can tell if individual tubes are clogged.

Anyone have a way to test this???
Old 10-09-2022, 12:04 PM   #350
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
One of my friends had an issue where the flat head ran around 200 degrees. But it never got any hotter or lost water, it did have a catch can, He put a piece of tape over the temp gauge and enjoyed the heat while driving in the winter.
I installed a 2 quart overflow tank which works well. I had a smaller tank and it kept puking water coolant and it was always empty when the motor cooler. I thought maybe air was getting into the system, but the larger tank disproved that theory.
The outside temp was 43* degrees today when I went for my ride. It didn't go over 180* even without the fan on the entire 1 hour ride!
Old 10-09-2022, 08:27 PM   #351
tubman

If you can afford a supercharger, I think you should be able to afford the correct radiator.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:57 PM   #352
Ronnieroadster

With 43 degrees outside temp the engine should be no where's near 180 degrees running temp it should be a lot lower. I realize you were able to finally drive an hour without the fan on the entire time but there's a still HUGE problem with that cooling system. I'm thinking RADIATOR is the problem.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:15 PM   #353
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
With 43 degrees outside temp the engine should be no where's near 180 degrees running temp it should be a lot lower. I realize you were able to finally drive an hour without the fan on the entire time but there's a still HUGE problem with that cooling system. I'm thinking RADIATOR is the problem.
Ronnieroadster
Yup. See post #4.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 12:23 PM   #354
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Yup. See post #4.
Oh heck that was only three months ago
Now just think if the radiator was changed at the beginning of all this how many fun miles would have been driven since then.
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 01:36 PM   #355
ford38v8

Quote:
Now just think if the radiator was changed at the beginning of all this how many fun miles would have been driven since then.

I think the OP has no intention of ever changing out his radiator. He's having too much fun keeping this thread going on forever.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:47 PM   #356
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
I think the OP has no intention of ever changing out his radiator. He's having too much fun keeping this thread going on forever.
Believe me this has not been fun at all. I can think of better things to do with my time than chase this problem. I've also spent well over $3000 between the radiator, the repair to the radiator, the water pumps, the different coolants, etc.,etc., etc. There's a point to be proven in the name of process of elimination and seeing a problem through. It's my money and my time.
Hopefully people are learning from this post.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:49 PM   #357
jrvariel48

Quote:
Ron, the driving is always fun and never a burden. I just had to focus on my temp but that didn't stop me from driving!
Old 10-10-2022, 03:49 PM   #358
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
If you can afford a supercharger, I think you should be able to afford the correct radiator.
Money is not the issue
Old 10-10-2022, 04:39 PM   #359
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvariel48 View Post
Believe me this has not been fun at all. I can think of better things to do with my time than chase this problem. I've also spent well over $3000 between the radiator, the repair to the radiator, the water pumps, the different coolants, etc.,etc., etc. There's a point to be proven in the name of process of elimination and seeing a problem through. It's my money and my time.
Hopefully people are learning from this post.
Ya, the lesson to be learned is how to ignore the advice you’ve asked for.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:21 AM   #360
Gene1949

(1) flathead rule of thumb/safe operating temperature; ambient air temp in degrees + 100
(2) your current powerplant is producing more BTUs than your radiator can reject.
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote