Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2023, 07:55 AM   #1
hatman53

Default New Rockers for a 1939 Convertible

I would like to ask for some advise.I am new to the early V-8 world.I inherited a 39 convertible with no floor from the rumble area to the fire wall. I want to install the new rockers and floor but can not find any videos or instructions as to how specifically place the rockers. Do they go under the door pillars or inside? Does the front rocker extend beyond the rear pillar of the door? I did see one video that said the rocker goes on top of the floor. Are there any reference materials about body assembly that I can look for?
Thanks
hatman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 12:50 PM   #2
Atlasboy

Default Re: New Rockers for a 1939 Convertible

Hello,
I apologize for the fact that I cannot help you as I have never owned a 1939 Convertible , but , coincidently I am looking to buy one. When I see the prices of restored ones , I believe I will be in the same ballpark as you are -
So here is what I will ask you , have you found any sources for the answer to your question that you can share with me ?
Happy New Year
Atlasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 04:11 PM   #3
hatman53

I unfortunately hav not found any real definitive answer as yet. On further investigation of my project the floor is under the rocker where the floor still exists. There is a series of videos out there from Iron Trap Garage on the restoration of a 39 coupe which does give some help on other areas
Old 01-01-2024, 04:51 PM   #4
Ken/Alabama

On the convertible there is a heavy sub rail that runs from underneath the cowl all the way back to where the frame kicks up at the wheel opening . This rail sits on the frame and the floor pan is welded to it then the rockers on top. The closed cars doesn’t have that extra rail. Been 30 years since I did mine so I can’t remember the particulars. Might have some pictures.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 10:18 AM   #5
hatman53

Ken, Thank you very much for that information. Apparently the sub rail had been taken off of the car that I have before I got it. The only thing present was the sides rails and the x member. The parts of the original rockers that were there are actually outboard of the frame side rail.
If you have any picture that you could share that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-02-2024, 08:10 PM   #6
Kube

Hatman,
Ken nailed it.... there is indeed a heavy rail beneath the thin sheet metal rockers.

I'd replaced these in a few of my restorations but wasn't smart enough to take photos of the "in process".
The only photo that I could find might at the very least, give you an idea what those rails appear as. The photo is a '40. However, same rails as a '39 as I recall. If not, well, still should give you an idea.
Those subrails used to be available. Not sure if they still are. Karl Wescott perhaps? If he doesn't offer them, I'd be willing to bet he'd know if they are available elsewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.JPG (24.7 KB, 81 views)
Old 01-02-2024, 09:22 PM   #7
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatman53 View Post
Ken, Thank you very much for that information. Apparently the sub rail had been taken off of the car that I have before I got it. The only thing present was the sides rails and the x member. The parts of the original rockers that were there are actually outboard of the frame side rail.
If you have any picture that you could share that would be greatly appreciated.
Dennis Carpenter -Rocker Panel Full Length - Coupe Only - 1939-40 Ford Car
Would they be the same for a Convertible?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 01-02-2024 at 09:37 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 09:31 AM   #8
Kube

Pete, I believe those are the "upper" sheet metal rockers. They are not the same as the convertible.
The poster was inquiring about the subrails.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:06 PM   #9
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Pete, I believe those are the "upper" sheet metal rockers. They are not the same as the convertible.
The poster was inquiring about the subrails.
I’m thinking the rockers for the two door sedan and convertible are the same since the door length is the same.
Old 01-03-2024, 09:49 PM   #10
Shumburg

I’m working on a 39 convertible coupe that my dad took completely apart in the early 60s. The car came from Minnesota so the pan has been patched from other pans but I believe it to be correct. I took some pictures with my phone but can’t figure out how to paste them in this box. Since I don’t have 10 posts on this forum I can’t give you my email. I’d be happy to email them to you though. Also, if you need wood parts for your car, Brad’s Woodshop made all my wood parts and they’re a thing of beauty!
Steve
Shumburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:37 AM   #11
Atlasboy

Hello Hatman53 again,
I found these Videos showing some ( but not all ) Installation of Floor Pans , but I think they glossed over the Rocker problem.
Here they are - Youtube , 1939 Ford Junkyard Hot Rod Revival - Ep. 4 , 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 , 20 , 21 , 22 , and 23 . You need to be pitient , this is a long series of sometimes painful watching , but it is somewhat interesting.
Atlasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 01:54 PM   #12
hatman53

Hello Atlasboy, Thank you for that response. I have actually looked at those videos. You are correct they are sometimes painful viewing. The problem is that they are redoing a closed body car and I am working on a convertible. The rocker boxes were only present on the convertible not the closed car.
I do thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry
Old 01-04-2024, 02:23 PM   #13
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatman53 View Post
Hello Atlasboy, Thank you for that response. I have actually looked at those videos. You are correct they are sometimes painful viewing. The problem is that they are redoing a closed body car and I am working on a convertible. The rocker boxes were only present on the convertible not the closed car.
I do thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry
The floor pan and rockers are the same between the closed cars and the convertible with the difference being the added sub rail under the rockers. Are the doors on the 39 convertible short like a coupe or are they long like a two door sedan? On the 40 convertible the door is long like a sedan but the 40 convertible has a backseat in the car. Whereas the 39 does not.
Old 01-04-2024, 03:06 PM   #14
hatman53

Ken, Thank you. I actually have the rockers and the floor pans covered, I am specifically interested in the sub frame that is specific to the 2 door convertible coupe. The example that I got apparently had those removed before I got the car. I should mention that I got the car essentially in pieces so I was not aware that these were missing. my bad!
Old 01-06-2024, 10:39 PM   #15
ronzmtrwrx

I just cut the old floor out of my 39 Convertible coupe this afternoon. None of the floor had ever been touched and it only had two thicknesses present, the floor pan and the rocker panel over the top of it. No “sub rail” as has been mentioned. It is a very early body, #19, so maybe that is why. Any thoughts on this Kube?
ronzmtrwrx is offline   Reply With Quote