Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
Paul Selfe

Angry Broken door latch

Went to move the 39 last week, only to discover that the drivers door latch spring was broken. I took it out today, I'm hoping I can repair it (I think I have the spring from an old repair kit) but I'm not sure everything else is where it should be. Does anyone have a pic, or a breakdown of the latchworks, or possibly a spare D/S latch they would be willing to sell? The one thing I'm a little concerned about is the shoulder pin that the inside pull link rides in. I can grind the weld to remove it, and try to weld it back in place once the spring is replaced. I'm also curious about the little "c" shaped stop that is held in place by the shoulder pin. Is there supposed to be a spring (?) attached to it? Thanks, Paul.
Paul Selfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: Broken door latch

Paul: which spring broke? The spiral spring on the latch mechanism 1 of 2 or the U shaped spring on the inside door handle mechanism? Either way you should not have to grind or weld. The mechanism is held together with ears that are bent over, straighten them out and remove the cover.

Last edited by Terry,OH; 12-01-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
Paul Selfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Paul: which spring broke? The spiral spring on the latch mechanism 1 of 2 or the U shaped spring on the inside door handle mechanism? Either way you should not have to grind or weld. The mechanism is held together with ears that are bent over, straighten them out and remove the cover.
Terry, The removable (bent tabs) cover is for the handle return spring, I need to replace the spiral spring that holds the door latch closed. You have to remove the latch dog to get at that spring. It's held in place with a large head shoulder pin through the slide and mounting plate. Paul.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
TJ

I have ground down the shoulder pin on the back side of the latch to remove it. Once you put in a new spring, put the shoulder pin back in and weld on the back side. I've done 3 latches this way and all are still working like they should. Chances of the spring breaking again are slim to none. You do find used latches on e-Bay from time to time, but you may be buying another latch just waiting to break the spring. NOS driver's side latches can be pricey.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:27 PM   #5
Paul Selfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
I have ground down the shoulder pin on the back side of the latch to remove it. Once you put in a new spring, put the shoulder pin back in and weld on the back side. I've done 3 latches this way and all are still working like they should. Chances of the spring breaking again are slim to none. You do find used latches on e-Bay from time to time, but you may be buying another latch just waiting to break the spring. NOS driver's side latches can be pricey.
TJ, I figured that's what I would do, and it looks like it was done once before (welded pin). Yes, 150 bucks for a pair of (who knows from where made) replacement latches is not what I would like to do. Thanks for the responses. Paul Selfe.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
TJ

Paul, just for info the passenger side door latch of the right rear door of a four door sedan will work on the driver's side front door. '39 and 4'0 used the same latch.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote