Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
Daddy's Girl

Default Should I Part Them Out?

Hello, I'm new here and hoping to get some advice. My father recently passed away and he was an avid Model A fan. I've inherited a 1931 Model A (soft top with a rumble seat), a 1928 Sedan, two rolling frames with engines, and a garage full of Model A parts that he planned to use to finish restorations on the two frames. The 31 is in good condition and runs. My father always described the 28 as "75% complete". I wish I could keep 31 and the 28, but the debts of his estate (I'm his executor) make that impossible.

My question is this, do you think the 31 and the 28 are worth more money sold as is, or would they bring more money if they were parted out? The reason I ask is that my husband actually makes his living by running an eBay business where he parts out vintage motorcycles and even though he isn't a Model A guy, it probably wouldn't be too much of a stretch for him to part these out as well. He is guessing that if we part out the 31 and the 28 that it would probably bring in twice as much money as if we sold them out right. Does that seem reasonable? I really hate to see them come to that, but my father's financial affairs were really a mess and every penny is going to count.

thank you for any advice or opinions you might have to offer me!

Daddy's Girl
Daddy's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
dlshady

Default Re: Should I Part Them Out?

The problem I see with parting out the two cars is that the more desirable parts will sell quickly and leave you with a large pile of common stuff that you'll have to deal with. Keep in mind that Ford produced over 4 million Model A's so parts aren't exactly scarce or rare, and a lot of people seem to mistakenly have the opinion that just because something is old, it must be valuable.

Having said that, it would help if you could post a few photos of the cars so that the folks here will have a better idea of what you're dealing with. It's tough to say without knowing exactly what you have.

Deron
dlshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with everything Deron just said, and I'd think an antique motorcycle would do best sold whole also. My Friend's 1946 original Harley sold for over $50,000. I can't imagine it parting out for that.

Even if the car isn't 100% complete, if the engine runs and the buyer can hear it run, that's a big plus.

I'm still dealing with my mom's estate and it can be a mess, especially if one sibling thows a fuss.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
ctlikon0712

I inherited my fathers car. I know that no one know's your situation, but if it were me I would try to save at least one of your dad's complete cars. If its something that was dear to him, it might be somthing you'd regret selling later on down the road. Plus it sounds like you have pleanty of parts to sell first that arent complete cars, to sorta get your feet wet and try the market. If you have parts, by all means sell them. But it the cars are together, don't break them up. Try it with the parts first.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
Daddy's Girl

Deron, thanks for the reply and I'll try to get some pictures up soon and maybe you can give me a better idea of what I actually have here.

Tom, I understand what you mean about the money in restored vintage vehicles. In my husband's case, he parts out bikes that he describes as "basket-cases", mostly Honda bikes from the 70's and up (which definitely have their own following). The condition of my father's Model A's is way above what I would think of as a basket-case, but they fall quite a bit short of being in show-piece condition, which was what his long term goal always was. As for dealing with an estate... I can see where it might be one of those situations where it is a blessing to be an only child!

thanks

Daddy's Girl
Daddy's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Start out with the "garage full of parts" work next on the 2 rolling frames and then the whole cars last.

Do your homework on the parts by looking at completed sales on ebay to see what the parts will bring. Whatever parts may be left over contact the national clubs to see what youth are restoring Model A's and donate the parts to them. Don't throw them away!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #7
supergnat

You could contacl some Madel A Car Clubs in your area since they would likely have people interested in buying the parts and possibly even the cars. If we knew the area of the country where the cars/parts are located some of the Ford Barner's could recommend some clubs. It must be very difficult to deal with both the loss of your dad and the settling of an estate with severe financial problems. Sorry for the loss of your dad.
Supergnat
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
pooch

Last edited by pooch; 04-09-2012 at 06:34 AM.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
John Kennedy

Sorry to hear of your loss.
Where are you located? There's a good chance a respectable FordBarner would come by and help you out.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #10
Roadster62

Sorry for your loss. A lot depends on were you live, shipping a front fender vs. allowing the buyer to pick it up makes it more likely to sell IF you live in an Urban area. Can the cars and parts stay were they are, or do you have to clean out the house and garage? Posting photos of the parts cars may help us deside if "As Is" vs parting them out is the way to go. You'll have to spend tind disassembling them, that adds to your cost.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
real550A

My initial instinct is the "31 soft top w/rumble seat" would be more valuable intact.
If a roadster/cabriolet, it will be restored by someone. If a sport coupe, there's a following there, also. A 75% '28 would also be a good candidate for resto.
As others have said, there are a lot of parts out there, but a lot of hoarders to scoop them up. Sorry for your loss, best of luck, which ever way you do it.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
Jordan

If you sell them as whole cars, they will likely bring you more money. And the money will come faster than if you sold them part by part.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #13
Great Lakes Greg

I think if you were to part them out, it would require quite bit of space and a lot of grunt work, especially body lifts and trying to get stuff apart like door hinge pins and what-not without damaging parts. Heavy iron like axles and springs can be a challenge to get any money out of because of the difficulty in shipping at a reasonable price. Combined with the general hassles of boxing and dealing with your shipper choice, I humbly suggest you sell the cars complete. The difference in money, if there would be any, is hardly worth all the labor involved. A guy shows up with a car trailer and bam, it's all gone in ten minutes.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
eagle

I don't think you'll get as much for the parts as you'll get for the whole car. Especially if, as it seems, you have some desirable models there. One thing to remember with the Model As, you can buy almost every single part in the whole car brand new reproduction. While most model A'ers would rather have original parts, it has kept the price of parts quite low. Have a Model A club member come by and give you some ideas before you jump into a decision that may not be right. Another option is to sell the whole collection as a lot. You will bring in a different customer that way, and it may be that that may give you your best price.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
Cool Hand Lurker

If you sell piece by piece the good ones will go fast and the rest will hang around for years. What is your time worth? It will take a huge amount of time to sell off the collection piece by piece. You should get paid for that time in addition to what the parts bring, but if the estate is not large there may be nothing left to reimburse you. And the other heirs will still want their share. It will be a can of worms.
I would advise selling off the cars whole and the remaining parts as a collection at one price. You will have plenty of other things to do as Executor and taking on a parts selling job will take a toll on you and your husband.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #16
Rex_A_Lott

Sorry to hear of your loss, may your Dad rest in peace. He probably had some friends, they could be interested buyers, or may at least help you know what you have, and a price to put on it.
I bought a lot of parts from a friend of mine when his health started failing, but he would never turn loose of his old truck. I bought it from his widow a few months after he passed....he had told her to give me first shot at it, and even the price to put on it.
It means a lot more to me than if I had bought it from a stranger...your Dad may have a friend in the market. Good Luck.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote