Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
Sal ModelA

Default 1932 roadster - no S/N

Hey V-8 gurus,

I am restoring my 32 roadster and decided to confirm the s/n (18 MR18113xxx) to the bill of sale and registration, but with no luck. After removing 15 very rusty bolts holding down the left fender, I expected to find it on the frame rail, perhaps near the firewall or the steering box. But nothing was there.

How could a frame leave the factory with no s/n?

I do know that the transmission was exchanged at some point as the s/n (18-17xxx) on the housing is different to the registration.

On another note, what do the registration and transmission s/n tell you about the vehicle? Maybe I can determine what month it was built or what year the transmission was exchanged?

Thanks guys,

Sally
Sal ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
Krylon32

Default Re: 1932 roadster - no S/N

There may be one on the rail about under the door or toward the rear possibly on the kickup both on the left rail???
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
DavidG

No '32 engine number (aka serial number or vin) exceeded seven digits after the prefix and even then, only if built with a four-cylinder engine as the number series began 5000001. In the case of '32 V-8 engine numbers (those produced in the U.S.), no number exceeded six digits after the prefix and none had a six digit number beginning with a number higher than "2".

It is, therefore, highly unlikely that you will find your number 18MR18113xxx stamped anywhere on the frame and if you do, it will not have been placed there by Ford when the car was manufactured.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
DICK SPADARO

No such number, if you used the18-113xxx group maybe legit but 32 Fords only had a 6 digit serial number. Trans number seems legit. Re issued title or no title registration?

Dave answer while I was typing.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Sal ModelA

Guru Guys,

I guess I wasn't communicating properly. Even though the registration shows number 18 MR18113xxx, I did expect to find MR18- plus 6 numbers, ie 18- 113xxx. Is this not correct?

This is a factory chassis, so why I am I not seeing anything?

Thanks for helping.

Sally
Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Sal ModelA

Guru Guys,

Sorry, I provided a wrong s/n from the registration. It should be MR1813XXX, ie 5 numbers after MR18.

Does this put this vehicle as being produced in the 13 thousand range?

Does anyone know how many of each body style was produced? I would particularly like to know the production numbers for roadsters and pickups and panel vans.

Thanks guys,

Sally
Old 01-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Lawson Cox

That number just doesn't compute. I have never seen a Ford Serial number start with the letters MR. Is this some foreign job??

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Sal ModelA

Guru guys,

The MR1813xxx s/n is from the registration, not from the frame. Therefore, this was originally a California car, I would guess that MR may stand for "Motor Registry" (?)

What do you think?

Thanks again,

Sally
Old 01-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
jimTN

If you have the body off, there will be another number back towards the rear of the frame, David should be able to give you the correct coordinates.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
ford3

the serial # can be any where from the front frame horn to under the drivers door
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
1931 flamingo

If you think the MR stands for "Motor Registry", it's not an original stamping (IMO) but possibly a restamp due to lost title, orig # unknown, etc. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
If you have the body off, there will be another number back towards the rear of the frame, David should be able to give you the correct coordinates.

Look here-
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ame#post562781
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #13
DavidG

Absent the MR, 18-13xxx is a legitimate '32 V-8 engine number for one produced in the second week of May, 1932.

As for '32 model unit production, there were 14,985 roadsters produced worldwide, 14,330 pickup bodies (both open and closed cab versions), and 6,634 panel deliveries on the 106" wheelbase commercial chassis.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I don't think the stars have been mentioned above...a proper stamp should have a star at each end to prevent tampering, and of course the funny 1931-onward font that has been mentioned. If you lack the service bulletins (get with it, and buy the resto book as well!) the fonts have been pictured on the Model A barn and can be searched up fairly easily.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
alchemy

You should find your SN at the inside edge of the top rail, right near the firewall foot. I've never seen a '32 with it stamped more than a few inches either direction from there. If you are pulling the body off you can look in the two other places the guys here have said.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #16
jughead

Hi - Trying to correlate serial numbers on a roadster that has the body on. I realize the need to pull the body to see two of the numbers on the frame rail. What's involved with searching for the front number near the steering box? Can I get by with just removing the fender?

Thanks much for any help or suggestions for my "Bucket List" project.

Jughead
jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #17
Mike in AZ

here's the link to MacVP's website showing serial numbers and where they might be found.....good luck...Mike

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ialnumbers.htm
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #18
Andy

The number would not be hidden under the firewall foot or the fender. It was meant to be used to identify the car. It is right beside the firewall foot on the edge of the frame on the drivers side. I agree you have a later add on ID number. The frame would have been stamped like this *18-15xxx* using the strange stamps. I would wire brush the area and see if the original number is still there.
Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #19
PeteVS

My '32 has the serial number just in front of the firewall (it matches the title, with the stars fore and aft) but it took a lot to see it. At first there appeared to be nothing there. But, with some (sort of a lot) of wire brushing, it came up. Very difficult to make out, but if one studies it, it's there. New Jersey DMV wanted a pencil rubbing or photo. Took a lot of images to get one that was really readable. Was never able to find the one on the rear frame kick up. I'm assuming that the body welting strip held moisture over that spot and it's gone.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #20
John R

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
.... Was never able to find the one on the rear frame kick up. I'm assuming that the body welting strip held moisture over that spot and it's gone.
It is also very possible that the numbers were never stamped on the two places "under the body". I have seen frames with the number stamped only in one of these two locations and frames with no stamps other than the "firewall" location.