Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
jughead

Default Stubborn Distributor Cap

I'm changing plug wires in my 32 V-8. The right side went fairly easy. But the left (driver side) not so. I can't seem to remove the distributor cap at all. After I release the wire bale, the cap is loose but can only pull it outward an 1/8" or so. It feels like something is hanging up inside. Obviously I don't want to pry on anything to force it out.

Am I missing something here or has anyone encountered anything similar? I'm in the early stages of learning this great hobby.

Thanks as always.
jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Stubborn Distributor Cap

The outer cap has a projection, that goes through a hole in center of inner cap, that usually has a rubber O ring holding the two caps together. The inner cap swells over time and tends to lock itself in the aluminum housing. When this has happened to me in the past, I take a piece of 3/8" to 1/2" wooden dowel about 8-10" long, insert it in through the side without the inner cap, and very carefully and lightly tap on the inside of the inner cap that is stuck and it should come out. However, if you are not very careful, you can break/crack that inner cap.
I lightly sand the OD of the inner caps so they fit better into the aluminum housing and do not stick in place after reassembling the distributor.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 09-13-2014 at 04:06 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
oldscout

If the coil is off, you can get your finger in there to push on the inner cap also. It worked for me anyway.
oldscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscout View Post
If the coil is off, you can get your finger in there to push on the inner cap also. It worked for me anyway.
Yes, I have gone in through the top when the coil was off as well, but I never had much luck pushing those really stuck inner caps out with my finger. I still had to use a wooden dowel and some light hammer tapping.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
jughead

My thanks to all responders. Light tapping from the opposite side popped it loose and away we go. Simple enough, but invaluable to the old newbie.

Thanks again
jughead is offline   Reply With Quote