Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2024, 05:41 PM   #21
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: Banjo Steering Wheel - why are they sought after?

I see its a sedan you can do as suggested, it may come through the rear door ,the rod can take a little bending but not much ,a 35 wheel has straight spokes.you need a puller to remove it .loosen of all your bolts on the box maybe replace the top one with a longer one to aid in reassembly.I do have pictorial of how to repair the rim involving silicone rubber on photo bucket, if I can get into it , Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 05:47 PM   #22
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
When I looked at the avatar picture, I thought it was a sedan. Didn't notice it was a pickup. I shouldn't have mentioned if the top was off!
Mike , you are right the OP does have a 35 blue passenger car in the avatar and asked the original question about the banjo wheel and asked about having to pull the horn rod.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 05:49 PM   #23
TJ

Duplicate post
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:06 PM   #24
Gary Tosel

I like the style of the 36 Ford banjo wheel and I have one on my Coupe.

Just a note to those that have a 35 Ford steering wheel that it is a one year only design and my experience has been that they are more rare than the banjo wheel. See attached and note the ribs on the top of the wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35Steerwheel.jpg (99.3 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 35SteerWheelDonRogers.jpg (76.5 KB, 130 views)
Gary Tosel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:31 PM   #25
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Tosel View Post
I like the style of the 36 Ford banjo wheel and I have one on my Coupe.

Just a note to those that have a 35 Ford steering wheel that it is a one year only design and my experience has been that they are more rare than the banjo wheel. See attached and note the ribs on the top of the wheel.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:40 AM   #26
cas3

Tim A, you are a talented guy, read your posts for years now. Very surprised you have no luck straightening these rods. I have done several, and shortened and repaired kinked tubes and loose tops, its not a big deal. 1st, I make a block of wood with a hole the size of the rod, then cut a slice in it so it will pinch on the tube so you can hold it in a vice without damage, and that serves as a pivot point to turn it to see if it turns straight after you loosen the vice a bit.

Straight as an arrow is certainly the best option, but the rod has about a 1/16" clearance around the bigger hole in the steering shaft. Meaning, if its not dead on, there is some room for error. I have slid the rod down into the steering shaft to check for drag. If you're close, and still not happy with the drag, spray it with paint and check again, then once you see the problem put it back in the wood block and fix it. Glennpm posted a link to a hamb thread I did a while back that shows all of this. Sorry, I have computer issues at present and can not copy n paste.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 06:21 AM   #27
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Tim A, you are a talented guy, read your posts for years now. Very surprised you have no luck straightening these rods. I have done several, and shortened and repaired kinked tubes and loose tops, its not a big deal. 1st, I make a block of wood with a hole the size of the rod, then cut a slice in it so it will pinch on the tube so you can hold it in a vice without damage, and that serves as a pivot point to turn it to see if it turns straight after you loosen the vice a bit.

Straight as an arrow is certainly the best option, but the rod has about a 1/16" clearance around the bigger hole in the steering shaft. Meaning, if its not dead on, there is some room for error. I have slid the rod down into the steering shaft to check for drag. If you're close, and still not happy with the drag, spray it with paint and check again, then once you see the problem put it back in the wood block and fix it. Glennpm posted a link to a hamb thread I did a while back that shows all of this. Sorry, I have computer issues at present and can not copy n paste.
Thank you for the post and the compliment. I made a few fixtures using angle iron to help me sight down the rod, but your way is almost like uncoiling brake line. I'll find the post and give it a try. I have a '32 rod that I would like to use but has too big of a kink in it and drags.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:28 AM   #28
glennpm

This is the link cas3 mentioned and what I did to straighten my horn rod.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...13&postcount=5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~---------------
Rumble Seat's Notes
Techno-Source for the 1932 thru 1953 Flathead Ford
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote