Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #41
OLD...BILL

Default Re: Stromberg Jet tool / substitute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
On the chaser...what I am envisioning/hallucinating is one with a very thin hollow tip that would go as far as possible over the wrench part of the jet, especially designed to try to clear damage and crud BELOW the jet to possibly allow non-violent jet removal on carbs with messed up threads right below jets. I have some 81's in the basement that somehow got the threads damaged way up in there with jets in place...
I can't figure out the sequence of events that would do this and allow the jets to go in, but some hotrodder of the past managed it!
I think I could simply bore out the end of a bolt, probably with cross cuts to remove the junk, to the greatest ID that would not reach daylight. It would be pretty weak, but still stronger and harder than that zinc.
That or nano-robots...I'm sure Harbor Freight will have those soon.
Hey Bruce: How about a piece on broken jet wrench, being forced around by the rest of the wrench, trying to get the jet out/in. don't ask how I know this ,well ok some years ago I was handed a carb, with just that. The owner showed me his fresh broken jet wrench, and the small piece stuck in place, (the jet pocket area) yes I got the small piece of jet wrench out, by using a small blade screw driver, the threads suffered, I did get the jet out, ran it in and out a couple of times. Yes I did have some of the threads in my hand, then I used the most sufficed tool in my shop, at the time,I used the air hose, to blow it clean....OLD....BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote