Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2016, 04:46 PM   #1
Scott754

Default 35 Fordor Deluxe Steering/Dash color

The (black) paint on the steering wheel of my '35 Fordor Deluxe touring sedan is flacking off, and it is brown underneath. I'm trying to determine the original color. I have a 1935 brochure, that has color drawings rather than actual pictures; in some drawings the wheel looks black, some brown. My dash is grey but I can't tell from the brochure if the 35 dashs came in other colors or if all were grey?
Scott754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:08 PM   #2
35fordtn

Default Re: 35 Fordor Deluxe Steering/Dash color

Deluxe dashes were Metallic Taupe as with the steering wheel and column tube. Standard dashes were maroon and the steering wheel and column tube were black. TCP Global sells the Metallic Taupe paint. Attached you will see the metallic taupe color. This is a dash I painted last year for a deluxe 1935 4 door like yours.

IMG_1359.jpg
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:14 AM   #3
Scott754

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Deluxe dashes were Metallic Taupe as with the steering wheel and column tube. Standard dashes were maroon and the steering wheel and column tube were black. TCP Global sells the Metallic Taupe paint. Attached you will see the metallic taupe color. This is a dash I painted last year for a deluxe 1935 4 door like yours.

Attachment 292884
Thanks... that's really helpful. Metallic Taupe sounds like it should be brown/tan, but in your picture, it looks black or dark grey? Is it really black or dark grey or is that just the picture? As reference, attached is the current color of my wheel/dash. I assume my dash color is different than the metallic taupe?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8729.jpg (71.8 KB, 70 views)
Old 11-02-2016, 07:37 AM   #4
weemark

i find it a hard colour to describe because it kind of changes with the light. its more of a brown colour than anything else. it has a very slight purple tinge to it as well though - its a strange colour for sure.
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #5
Don Rogers

Scott, Go by what 35fordtn said regarding dash and steering wheel colors. The only clarification that I would ad is that the wheel and column is taupe with no metallic flake. Your steering wheel is a 36 banjo wheel (35 didn't have them) and was originally painted brown to harmonize with a wood grained dash (Mid to late 36)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
35fordtn

Scott,
Sorry the photo is sideways.. The picture makes it seem a bit darker than it is. I can send you a small sample of the paint I used if it helps.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
Scott754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
Scott, Go by what 35fordtn said regarding dash and steering wheel colors. The only clarification that I would ad is that the wheel and column is taupe with no metallic flake. Your steering wheel is a 36 banjo wheel (35 didn't have them) and was originally painted brown to harmonize with a wood grained dash (Mid to late 36)
Thanks - it hadn't occurred to me that the banjo wheel was a '36, so that explains the brown paint under where the black is flaking off.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #8
Scott754

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Scott,
Sorry the photo is sideways.. The picture makes it seem a bit darker than it is. I can send you a small sample of the paint I used if it helps.
No problem on the sideways photo, I saved the image and rotated it. I found the color charts for the '35 Fords on the TCP global site: (http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclc...-Ford-pg01.jpg)
and if you scroll down you'll see the charts, including the ones attached (page 4) showing the Metallic Taupe.
For the interior colors (on page 3 attached) it lists Metallic Taupe, Non-Metallic Taupe and Dark Taupe (in addition to the Maroon, Black, Vermillion).

Since my dash is a lighter grey, and there's no grey interior listed, I'm assuming this was repainted by someone along the way and is not any of the taupe's listed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 4.50.17 PM.jpg (13.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 4.49.15 PM.jpg (9.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #9
DavidG

Don,

Your eyesight is failing. It is more gray than brown by a wide margin. It's another one of Ford's interior paint color misnomers like '32 interior gray (more brown than gray) and Benton Gray (more brown than gray).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote