Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2016, 12:18 AM   #21
GB SISSON

Default Re: Patton Mercury

[QUOTE=Graeme / New Zealand;1378110]snappydon I stand corrected on the handles you are right. McArthur whether "dugout doug" or " bugout doug", it was for the same reason. He will never be forgiven because of Bataan.

When I'm not working, posting here or working on my old fords, I'm reading on WW2. That's the one Dobie Gillis' dad called 'the big one'. My dad was in the Army air corps in Europe and I've had two father in laws. They both fought in the Pacific and the subject rarely came up in conversation. 'The Greatest Generation'. Hands down in my mind.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:50 AM   #22
Graeme / New Zealand

[QUOTE=GB SISSON;1378119]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
snappydon I stand corrected on the handles you are right. McArthur whether "dugout doug" or " bugout doug", it was for the same reason. He will never be forgiven because of Bataan.

When I'm not working, posting here or working on my old fords, I'm reading on WW2. That's the one Dobie Gillis' dad called 'the big one'. My dad was in the Army air corps in Europe and I've had two father in laws. They both fought in the Pacific and the subject rarely came up in conversation. 'The Greatest Generation'. Hands down in my mind.

GB same here ...both World conflicts. Just finished reading a book on Passchendaele. Hard to imagine the youth of today who wear the crotches of their trousers down to the ground with cap on backwards, atop a scateboard or those that play x box or Playstation all day, doing what their generation did at their age 70 to 75 rears ago.

Graeme

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:28 AM   #23
Lawrie

Graeme, you want to go and see Pashendale, both my g/fathers fought there and survived, we spent a week there last year.VERY moving when you learn the number of casualties there.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:08 AM   #24
fotfod

[QUOTE=GB SISSON;1378119]
Quote:
snappydon I stand corrected on the handles you are right. McArthur whether "dugout doug" or " bugout doug", it was for the same reason. He will never be forgiven because of Bataan.

i dont remember dobie gillis father saying that, but archie bunker said that was the big one a
lot
fotfod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:25 AM   #25
RalphG

[QUOTE=fotfod;1378136]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
i dont remember dobie gillis father saying that, but archie bunker said that was the big one a
lot
Archie Bunker is who I recall using that expression. I believe he was a veteran of "WWII, the big one"
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:40 AM   #26
Milt/Las Vegas

Quote:
We have some nut case generals now Wes Clark comes to mind.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:17 PM   #27
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
Graeme, you want to go and see Pashendale, both my g/fathers fought there and survived, we spent a week there last year.VERY moving when you learn the number of casualties there.
Lawrie
Yes Lawrie I plan to in the next couple of years to do a tour of the battlefields of both conflicts. They have just errected a statue here in NZ in tribute to one of our blokes "shot" by the British for so called "cowardice" because he was shell shocked. I admire the Aussies stand when they tried to the same to some of their boys, they told the poms to "bugger off" and did not allow it to happen.

GB

Old 11-01-2016, 12:40 AM   #28
ford38v8

I sometimes wonder at the degree to which those whose home is in the South Pacific read and study about WWII...Then I remember that while we here in the States enjoyed full employment for the war effort, after the initial attack on Pearl, the war to us was never again as close as it was for those Down Under for the entire duration of the war.
My father, too old to serve, was employed making bomb casings, working seven days a week for months at a time. He had a single Sunday off, and a pocket full of money to spend on furniture, but no retailers were open on Sunday. He was able to phone a store owner in San Francisco, who met him and opened his store just for him. I was too young to remember that, but my mother never tired of recanting the story!
I'm sure there are those in the South Pacific whose WWII memories are considerably more personal than mine.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:24 AM   #29
fotfod

[QUOTE=RalphG;1378235]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotfod View Post
Archie Bunker is who I recall using that expression. I believe he was a veteran of "WWII, the big one"
archie was bragging he was wounded during the big one until edith told everybody he got shot in the rump
fotfod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:57 PM   #30
woodiewagon46

Just finished reading "Killing the Rising Sun" by Bill O'Reilly. Talks a great deal about the Pacific War including McArthur and Oppenheimer. I wouldn't call Patton a "nut case". He was military all the way and if left alone he would have marched east, right thru Russia.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #31
snappydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
Just finished reading "Killing the Rising Sun" by Bill O'Reilly. Talks a great deal about the Pacific War including McArthur and Oppenheimer. I wouldn't call Patton a "nut case". He was military all the way and if left alone he would have marched east, right thru Russia.
I too, just finished "Killing the Rising Sun"...I found it quite enlightening and educational. Just like all the other "Killing" books he has written.
snappydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #32
russcc

Patton was respected by his men, and feared by Hitler. At the daily German high command meeting, the first question was always, "where is Patton" What more could you ask. He was an excellent leader, whether it was commanding troops, or managing war torn post war Germany. We all have a some quirks, so what, he go the job done.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:59 PM   #33
flatford8

Good posts... Thanks..... My Dad served in Morocco, Algiers, Italy and Austria. Didnt talk about it much..... mostly I remember him saying " I hope nobody else ever has to go through that"...... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #34
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappydon View Post
I too, just finished "Killing the Rising Sun"...I found it quite enlightening and educational. Just like all the other "Killing" books he has written.

As for me, I got it last week. I'm 2/3 of the way through it and it's excellent. I never get tired of reading about 'The Big One'.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:44 PM   #35
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Good posts... Thanks..... My Dad served in Morocco, Algiers, Italy and Austria. Didnt talk about it much..... mostly I remember him saying " I hope nobody else ever has to go through that"...... Mark
Some of my dad's first experience with flathead Fords was training in the Canadian army driving CMP (army trucks, gun towing vehicles etc. In Canada and Britain. Later in Normandy. Somewhere I have a photo of him standing in front of a 1940 Ford woody wagon.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:17 AM   #36
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
I sometimes wonder at the degree to which those whose home is in the South Pacific read and study about WWII...Then I remember that while we here in the States enjoyed full employment for the war effort, after the initial attack on Pearl, the war to us was never again as close as it was for those Down Under for the entire duration of the war.
My father, too old to serve, was employed making bomb casings, working seven days a week for months at a time. He had a single Sunday off, and a pocket full of money to spend on furniture, but no retailers were open on Sunday. He was able to phone a store owner in San Francisco, who met him and opened his store just for him. I was too young to remember that, but my mother never tired of recanting the story!
I'm sure there are those in the South Pacific whose WWII memories are considerably more personal than mine.

We were in the war from day 1 being part of what was the British Empire in those days, where Great Britain went NZ went and so did Australia. We had troops committed to the Middle East when Japan attacked, many down here felt we should be back home in the Pacific defending our back yard when this happened however the "masters" had us remain where we were. We will always be grateful for the US and the role they played down here. Eventually we did have millitary in the Pacific, mainly airforce. The USMC trained here and used us as a "jumping off point" for Guadalcanal. We were a backwater of western civilisation in those days due to our isolation and this was our introduction to " things American" eg Coca-Cola . We did have American cars already though because they handled the shitty roads here. The coming of the jet age "shrunk the world" for us. Now its even smaller with the world wide web.