Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2018, 02:25 AM   #1
Grumpy Rick

Default '55 T-Bird slow warm up

My '55 T-Bird takes forever to warm up. I just replaced the thermostat because I figured it must be missing, since it takes so long.

Turns out it had a 160 degree already in it, which I replaced with the recommended NAPA unit which is 170. Drove about 4 miles before my aftermarket temp gage started to move.

Am I Just spoiled from driving newer cars? My 06 Jeep Wrangler would be at operating temp after one mile easy.

It is a fairly stock 292 with some more modern touches, carb, ignition,etc. It doesn't start to overheat unless it is 100, in stop and go traffic.

Thank you, Someday I will get all the bugs out.
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: '55 T-Bird slow warm up

Sounds normal to me. Y-blocks are notoriously cold hearted. Modern cars heat up much quicker for emissions reasons; the system goes into open loop quickly to allow the ECM to lean the injectors. None of this was a consideration when our cars were built. Modern vehicles also tend to have aluminum blocks and/or heads, another reason they heat quicker than a huge lump of cold cast iron. You can block off part of the radiator with an appropriately sized piece of cardboard to warm it faster, just don't forget to remove it when the engine reaches operating temperature.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
scicala

"Am I Just spoiled from driving newer cars? "

Yes, new cars and trucks are designed for better heater and A/C performance, due to the ever spoiled customers and competition.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
KULTULZ

Question Re: '55 T-Bird slow warm up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Rick View Post

My '55 T-Bird takes forever to warm up. I just replaced the thermostat because I figured it must be missing, since it takes so long.

Turns out it had a 160 degree already in it, which I replaced with the recommended NAPA unit which is 170. Drove about 4 miles before my aftermarket temp gage started to move.
No good reason for it...

Do you mean you have poor heater output in colder weather? You need a 180 thermostat.

TECH ARTICLE HERE- https://www.ctci.org/gilsgarage/Thermostats2.php

Now if the thermostat causes overheating in the summer, you merely change it back to 160 in the spring. That was how it was done on the old days.

Also remember, the engine needs to operate at a certain minimum temp for the oil to work correctly, especially if road draft equipped.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:53 PM   #5
miker98038

The other thing I’ve found on my bird is the heater valve really doesn’t close completely. So even in warm weather, with it off, you’re running the heater too. And if the seals are leaking on the air pick up (which they do), you’ve got some heat going into the interior too.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #6
dmsfrr

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
The other thing I’ve found on my bird is the heater valve really doesn’t close completely. So even in warm weather, with it off, you’re running the heater too. And if the seals are leaking on the air pick up (which they do), you’ve got some heat going into the interior too.
If this is happening there are manual in-line valves available to insert into a heater hose to stop water flow thru the heater core.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:51 AM   #7
Grumpy Rick

Heater? Where I live, I hardly use the heater on my newer cars. It was about 60-65 on the day in question. The top is not on either. I cannot stand driving it with the top on. Struggle to get in, then I can't see out. Don't mean to come off sounding like a wise ass, just clarifying. If I had to leave the top on, the car would be gone.

I have to go look to see if the heater hoses are even on the car. I don't think so. If they are I will look into mikers suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Leaving tomorrow for my Grandaughter's wedding Saturday on the beach at Camp Pendleton. Won't be able to check it for a while.
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:17 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Talking Re: '55 T-Bird slow warm up

Quote:

The top is not on either. I cannot stand driving it with the top on. Struggle to get in, then I can't see out. Don't mean to come off sounding like a wise ass, just clarifying. If I had to leave the top on, the car would be gone.
One of the reasons I got rid of mine (1970), overheating, fricasseed butt and hard to get in and out of.

Had a 67 GT-500. Same thing, hard to get in and out.

Now the things are worth a fortune...

If the heater is not a concern, most likely lazy thermostat and/or the WP bypass needs to be restricted.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 03-21-2018, 06:04 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Post Re: '55 T-Bird slow warm up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

If this is happening there are manual in-line valves available to insert into a heater hose to stop water flow thru the heater core.
GOOD SOLUTION!

It seems quality valves are not being produced any longer and the ones still available are low quality off-shore. NOS is questionable.

I stumbled across this while browsing through their catalog. I always hated the appearance of the valve as it made the car look old tech to me. I guess the dedicated could re-insert the valve if showing the car.

http://www.classictbird.com/Manual-H...tinfo/18495MK/

Quote:
Where the hoses go on the heater core is not a big deal. But flowing from bottom to the top may help expel air bubbles in the core.

The reason for our directions saying put the manual valve in the "heater core to pump" hose is because that valve is directional - it may leak flow in one direction but seals flow in the other direction
Also, the coolant flowing as described allows the coolant to remain a little longer in the heater core (slower flow) allowing more heat extraction from the core.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 03-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #10
Marv

Smile Re: '55 T-Bird slow warm up

Quote:

Am I Just spoiled from driving newer cars? My 06 Jeep Wrangler would be at operating temp after one mile easy.

It is a fairly stock 292 with some more modern touches, carb, ignition,etc. It doesn't start to overheat unless it is 100, in stop and go traffic.

Thank you, Someday I will get all the bugs out.
Too low or defective pressure cap or Too high of mixture of antifreeze can cause it.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #11
Kahuna

Restrict the heater by-pass hose
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote