Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
Ed H.

Default Run away gen

This is not a Model A, but a Ford 8 N with a 4 cyc engine, 6 volt Pos grd.
Issue is tractor has not run for yrs, water pump was froze up so I cut the fan belt. Once the power was turned on the gen turned into a electric motor.

There is only one wire coming from the back of the gen, which is hot all the time, switch on or off. Thinking I would polarize the reg would solve the issue I flashed the term on the reg. Nope, gen still wants to be electric motor.

Any ideas?
Thanks for the help
Ed

United States Navy
Ed H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Run away gen

I think I would start by removing the cover to see what you have. This may be as simple as stuck/frozen points or a broken/missing spring.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Ed H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
I think I would start by removing the cover to see what you have. This may be as simple as stuck/frozen points or a broken/missing spring.
Your talking the regulator correct?
That was going to be my next move, thinking at some point may someone reversed the polarity and fried the reg.

Thanks for the suggestion

United States Navy
Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I think your tractor only has a CUTOUT, and not a regulator, unless someone changed things. Anyway it sounds like the cutout is stuck shut, or some wiring is messed up and feeding power to the generator output terminal. Can you post a picture of the cutout and generator output terminal?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
mass A man

I don't think anything major is wrong. You state the fan belt is cut off, which will not hold back a weak "motoring" of the generator and you state the ignition is "turned on", telling me the cut out is closed, allowing your 6 volt battery current to motor the "free" generator. The cut out should close only after a certain engine speed is made. I believe the cut out is just stuck in the closed position. Try rapping on the cut out to see if you can un-stick it. That is just a temp. fix though.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
Willie Krash

This is a 17 amp generator. The VR is bolted down with three screws and has three terminals. The reverse current relay (cutout) is part of the VR and is the single point relay with the heavy windings, within the regulator. If the points have stuck best to replace it. It's part # is 8N-10505-C or 13092.
This is an A circuit reg, Ford typically used B circuit. Also I show the same VR for both two and three brush generator. If my memory serves me correct the early three brush was B circuit. I am using Lester's online cataloging and is pretty much the bible. I question the VR used with the early three brush. PM if there is a question. Almost all vendor go by Lester.
Now many will disagree with me but many 6V gens will survive a stuck cutout. A 12v will not, they will burn and often times the wiring too.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Ed H.

Took everyone's advice THANK YOU, got the top off the cut out, the points were welded together. As soon as I pried them open the gen stopped dead in it's bearings.

Thanks again, great group am happy to be a part of the Ford barn.
Ed

United States Navy