Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #1
Jayce

Post New to the forums/Introduction

Hello, I'm Jayce, I'm 16 years old and just got my first car a 1955 Ford Customline. Why? Well my grandpa and dad got into collecting old cars in the mid 50s and have had dozens of old cars over the years my grandpa only dealt with Ford cars.

The 55' is a temporary vehicle for the time being, my plan is to use it throughout high school, then sell it off to build my dream pickup - a 1928-29 model a pickup, we have a 28-29 AA body that I prey is in good enough condition to use. My grandpa passed away five years ago, and my dad and I are just getting into messing around with his cars/parts and junk.
I wish I could tell, or even show you what all we have, but lets just say every time I go into the shop, I see something different. My dad bought a 1928 Tudor Sedan AR when he was 12 (He's 63 now) my grandpa restored it in the mid 80s after restoring a 29' Roadster.

All I can tell ya is he has (This is in the back, we have a whole other piece of property where the gold is)
1928 Model a Tudor Sedan AR
1929 Phaeton
1929 Roadster
1915 Model T (All original, great condition)
and a 1939 Ford Mercury.
We just had to sell our 1936 Ford Pickup, my grandpa always said it's the only 36' you'll be able to find in that good a condition in the part of the county, and he was right.

I really want to restore a model A pickup, and use it everyday, I can't stand any of this new crap, rat rods, or hot rods. Any car I own has to be pre 1950's and all original.

-Thanks for reading! I hope to get to know a lot of you, and I hope to be on here often asking questions, and getting help.

-Jayce
Jayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #2
Bill in SoCal

Default Re: New to the forums/Introduction

Welcome - Sounds like you have a great plan. Start looking for and organizing your parts. Have fun - good luck, Bill
Bill in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #3
Jayce

Oh, my dad and I have already begun, we went through an old barn today and found wood and metal spoked wheels stacked to the ceiling, and around that about 40, or so radios my grandpa horded up. We plan on selling every part that isn't for a model T, or A, because I don't ever plan on restoring anything that isn't A, or T.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
stewwolfe

Welcome and above all enjoy the experience of these cars.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:46 PM   #5
Jayce

Oh, I will. I don't have a license yet but when I get one, I'll have all the A's up and running. I plan on taking my dads 28 AR to Prom next year.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:00 PM   #6
Redbird

Welcome aboard. My first car was the same 55 Ford, with FordOmatic trans and 272 ci. I paid $75 for it back in 1963 and was the first motor I ever rebuilt. I used the old Motors Auto Repair Manual for reference and rebuilt most things on it..
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #7
BudP

Welcome, Jayce! It's nice to have you here. Summer will be coming soon. I would like to suggest that in addition to your summer job, which I hope you will be lucky enough to get, that you take ANY course you can find at your local vocational school, summer high school or community college in ANYTHING having to do with cars. You will be surprised at how transferable anything you learn about brakes, ignition systems, body work, engine work, etc. is to working on the Model A or T. Such a course will be the beginning to a lot of satisfaction and fulfillment when working on these wonderful old cars that contributed so very much to the country and the world we live in.

Last edited by BudP; 03-28-2015 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Eliminated the same word appearing twice in a single sentence
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:28 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Welcome and we stand by ready to help you anyway we can.