Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #21
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: T5- From 59 to 8BA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvariel48 View Post
I need the adapter ring. Unless the bellhouse that's in the picture will work.
That's the one the motor came with.
You could use that bellhousing, but that would require a different setup. I would look for the other (earlier) style bellhousing and your current setup will work. Not sure what they are going for, but shouldn't be that much. As always, be sure the bellhousing and the lower cover are a matched set.

Looks like there are several on ebay in the $150 range. Also looks like they come as both cast and steel-stamped. I do not know anything about the cast ones, but they look the same. Make sure it is a V8 and it has or you can get the matching cover. There are also some of the after market aluminum adapters (copies of the original Ford bellhousing) on ebay.

Note: we are talking about the one like V8COOPMAN posted in #3 above.

Last edited by JSeery; 12-29-2014 at 02:59 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:36 PM   #22
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
That is in fact an 8BA type bellhousing, but this is the first mention of IT in this thread.

Before we go any further, how is your current clutch disengaged? Is it actuated via an arm on the Cornhuskers adapter? You need to think about how the clutch will be controlled on your new set-up. DD
Sorry V8, I should have mentioned the other bellhouse.

Right now I'm using the Pete & Jakes hydraulic clutch set up. I'll keep the same set up

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpBUP6TCPM.jpg (80.0 KB, 158 views)
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #23
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Sorry V8, I should have mentioned the other bellhouse.

Right now I'm using the Pete & Jakes hydraulic clutch set up. I'll keep the same set up

Thank you
That would be "actuated via an arm on the Cornhuskers adapter". I would think you would want to keep this setup and use the Cornhusker adapter with the 8ba.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:06 PM   #24
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
That would be "actuated via an arm on the Cornhuskers adapter". I would think you would want to keep this setup and use the Cornhusker adapter with the 8ba.
Yes! Thanks JSeery, sounds like a great plan! I just order the adapter ring from Cornhuskers, as I purchased the bellhouse from them originally.
Gary was a big help!

They'll be lots of specific questions on this build as it progresses & I really appreciate everyone's input!

Thank you for your help!
Old 12-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #25
V8COOPMAN

Your picture depicts the clutch actuating arm on the adapter, exactly as we expected to see. It is a great set-up. FORGET that other bellhousing that came with the 8BA and it's own, DIFFERENT clutch actuating system.

Below is an eBay link to the Mercury half bell and starter plate that will bolt your Cornhuskers adapter right up to your 8BA. They're on eBay all the time. Make sure you get one WITH the correct starter plate. This is your simplest and cleanest way to accomplish your intended change-over. Click the link below. DD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111556256843...#ht_569wt_1105

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #26
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Yes! Thanks JSeery, sounds like a great plan! I just order the adapter ring from Cornhuskers, as I purchased the bellhouse from them originally.
Gary was a big help!

They'll be lots of specific questions on this build as it progresses & I really appreciate everyone's input!

Thank you for your help!
I have talked to Gary before and found him very helpful. Built my own adapter using a hogshead my own creation of an adapter plate. He was supportive, I would recommend Cornhuskers to anyone looking for a T5 conversion.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #27
butchbov

Smile Re: T5- From 59 to 8BA

I'm running a 93 wc t5 in my 49 with the stock steel bell & a home made 3/4" thick aluminum adapter plate. Works great & i have about 54k on it now. I did have to sleeve the throwout bearing to fit the front shaft & make a bracket to hang the clutch pivot. Also pressed an s10 pilot bushing into the stock ford one.

I'm also running a set of 3:31 gears in the back & it cruises really nice.

That's it folks

In a world filled with stress it is better to give than to receive.
butchbov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #28
Richard in Florida

Quote:
Will the measurement between the motor and trans. be the same for the 8BA as the 59 motor? I'm thinking I may have to move the trans forward or back to make this happen.
Whatever you use and whatever you do to mate the T5 to the 8BA, make very sure of two things:

1. Be sure the pilot stub on the end of the T5 input shaft goes almost all the way into your flywheel's pilot bearing or bushing but not so far that the rest of the shaft is pressing against the bearing or bushing. You don't want the shaft pushing on the pilot bearing or bushing.

You also don't want the end of the input shaft pressing against the inside of the crankshaft. The T5's front bearing won't last long that way.

2. Be sure the spline on the input shaft is in contact with all of the spline on the clutch disk hub, or as much as you can get. Otherwise, that blown flathead could make short work of the hub.

Both of these things are determined by the thickness of your adapter plate; that thickness needs to be tailored for your situation -- one thickness does not fit all. Simple measurement tools can be made to get these numbers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cautions.jpg (25.5 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Richard in Florida; 12-30-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Richard in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #29
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchbov View Post
I'm running a 93 wc t5 in my 49 with the stock steel bell & a home made 3/4" thick aluminum adapter plate. Works great & i have about 54k on it now. I did have to sleeve the throwout bearing to fit the front shaft & make a bracket to hang the clutch pivot. Also pressed an s10 pilot bushing into the stock ford one.

I'm also running a set of 3:31 gears in the back & it cruises really nice.

That's it folks
Nice work! What are you taching at about 65mph with the 3:31 gears?
What size tires?
Old 12-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #30
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Florida View Post

Whatever you use and whatever you do to mate the T5 to the 8BA, make very sure of two things:

1. Be sure the pilot stub on the end of the T5 input shaft goes almost all the way into your flywheel's pilot bearing or bushing but not so far that the rest of the shaft is pressing against the bearing or bushing. You don't want the shaft pushing on the pilot bearing or bushing.

You also don't want the end of the input shaft pressing against the inside of the crankshaft. The T5's front bearing won't last long that way.

2. Be sure the spline on the input shaft is in contact with all of the spline on the clutch disk hub, or as much as you can get. Otherwise, that blown flathead could make short work of the hub.

Both of these things are determined by the thickness of your adapter plate; that thickness needs to be tailored for your situation -- one thickness does not fit all. Simple measurement tools can be made to get these numbers.
Thanks Richard, I'll be sure to check it! Thanks for the info.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #31
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Gary was a big help!

Thank you for your help!
Can you state more definitively what type "adapter ring" that you just purchased from Gary? A couple of us are truly interested in exactly what you're doing. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #32
jrvariel48

I'll try not to sound to dumb, but I'm not really sure. V8,I would image it's similar to the one that you have a picture of in post #3.
I'm not sure if it's stamped steel or cast aluminium. Gary knows the set-up I have because I purchase it from Cornhusker. He told me he had the parts I needed, so I purchased them. Again, I would think it's similar to the photo you provided but also included the starter plate.
Maybe Gary will chime in....
Old 12-30-2014, 08:23 PM   #33
V8COOPMAN

That makes sense......it should all work-out if Gary said it's what you need. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-31-2014, 05:45 AM   #34
jrvariel48

I should be getting it in the mail soon. When I do, I'll post some pictures.