Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
drpepper1885

Default Model A Troubles

Dear fellow Model A’ers:

Hello everyone. I took the Model A out for a spin and she did fairly well for a while. I just got her back after having the engine rebuilt. Unfortunately, I am running into some puzzling issues.

She idles very high and if the throttle gets below half-way on the quadrant (between the top of the quadrant and half-way down) she immediately dies. As we were driving her and turned a corner in one of the neighborhoods, she died. We were going about 15-20 mph as we approached the corner and I applied the clutch then brake since we were in 3rd gear. I was downshifting and she just quit. When I tried to restart, the starter would turn over only one time and nothing else. After about twenty minutes, she finally restarted and we nursed her home.

When I got home I put on a brand new Zenith carburetor, replaced the throttle rod going to the carburetor, the gas line from the sediment bowl to the carburetor, and installed a new choke rod. I encountered the exact same problem with new carburetor. She has to have a lot of throttle to start up, now more than half-way down the quadrant. If I decrease the throttle advance below half-way on the quadrant (as described above), she immediately dies. Also, I noticed a little bit of backfiring with the new carburetor. Intermittently, I am getting the one turnover on the starter and then nothing.

I tested the battery by applying the starter with the lights on. The lights dimmed considerably. I have a brand new alternator on the car.

So, I am left with the following questions:

1. I am having the same idling issue with both carburetors (one a rebuilt original and the other a brand new manufacture). I did not adjust the carburetor I purchased from Brattons since it was supposed to be pre-set. It can’t be right to have to run the car at a racing idle.
2. Is it my battery? I am going to check the voltage right after I post this.
3. Could the new alternator causing any of these issues? Seems like it wouldn't, but everything is on the table.
4. Is this a timing problem? Has something perhaps gone out of adjustment on the rebuilt motor?

Your thoughts on these questions are most appreciated.
Thanks so much for your help.
drpepper1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
drpepper1885

Default Re: Model A Troubles

Checked the battery...a strong 6 volts. Rule that out.
drpepper1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpepper1885 View Post
Checked the battery...a strong 6 volts. Rule that out.
Did you have a load on the battery when you checked the voltage? What does it measure while cranking the engine? What does it measure with the lights on? A good 6 volt battery should measure about 6.4 to 6.7 volts with no load, and should still show about 5 volts while cranking the engine with a stock head.

A hydrometer check is also a good way to test a battery.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Barry B./ Ma.

You could have a vacuum leak. Check the manifold for cracks and leaks at the block surface. Does it pick up speed if the choke is pulled out part way?
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
1931 flamingo

DITTO on the vacuum leak.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
eagle

When its running, spray some ether or wd40 around the intake manifold CAREFULLY, use a can with a "straw" on it. The engine will speed up if there is a leak. That won't be causing the starter issue though... When the starter won't turn over the engine, use the hand crank and see if the engine turns over hard.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
Aerocraft

Check the fit of the gaskets between the manifold assembly and the block. You may find that the intake is not sealed correctly to the block. Easy fix........ Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote