Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #21
X38

Default Re: A-V8 Roadster

Get the book. It will save you a lot of typing here as well!
X38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #22
Deuce Man

hey guys I have probably been doing this as long as your book guy vern. if I wanted to copy his car i guess i would just buy his book!i have a pretty good idea of what i want to build . just looking for some new and interesting ideas.thanks to all the guys with the helpful ideas to anyone who is bothered by this post, go bash bob drake or waste your time some other way dont spoil my fun!
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #23
mikebishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by X38 View Post
Get the book. It will save you a lot of typing here as well!
I concur. In fact, I'll sell you a copy, complete with autographs, if you like, $28.00 including S&H. (It's two buck more without the autographs.)

Mike
mikebishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #24
Bassman/NZ

Good to see you here on FordBarn Mike.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #25
mikebishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
Good to see you here on FordBarn Mike.
Thanks, Bassman, but it looks like Deuce Man just handed me my hat an pointed me to the door. I'll hang out and help when I can.

Mike
mikebishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #26
Grandadeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebishop View Post
I concur. In fact, I'll sell you a copy, complete with autographs, if you like, $28.00 including S&H. (It's two buck more without the autographs.)

Mike
Hey Mike, it's been a long time since the rocket powered pine wood derby races in Burbank. Good to see you in the Barn. My son still has his autographed copy of The Book.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50
Grandadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #27
Hotrodvideo

I think I have about 5 or 6 leaves in the rear spring, it rides ok for an antique car.
The stance is everything with these cars.
Hotrodvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #28
X38

Well, I guess you know it all Deuce Man. Why the hell you bothered asking questions beats me. Several people have suggested you get a particular book that covers all the ins and outs about these things, including suggested different ways of doing things. But no, you throw it back in our faces and want people to drip feed you instead.

Some attitude.
X38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #29
chuck stevens

On the rear spring question, I think I've had mine in and out several times fine "tuning" it. I honestly don't know how many leaves I ended up with but, you start at the top and take every other one out. After you get this thing up and running you can add a small amount of ballast,weight, to improve the ride. I have the battery mounted in the trunk. Also i used a duce gas tank with some frame extensions to add some weight to the rear. No matter what you do to it, she'll still ride like a buck board. Chuck
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #30
Deuce Man

Sorry for my tantrum last night! I have nothing against books! I grew up with books, there is probably not one question on this forum that cannot be answered by a book, if you have access to the right book and a lot of time. We have come along way since we were kids. The internet and forums like this have opened up to us a vast pool of information and ideas, unheard of in the past. So when someone tells me to stop wasting time typing and buy a book it pizzes me off! This idea contradicts the very concept of an online forum. Sorry Vern & Company, this was not directed at you. I have a ton of books and will probably buy yours too! It's just the backward attitude of a few that I object to. By far, I have enjoyed this thread. The majority of the contributors have been real helpful. As for the rest, as I said before, if this thread and my initial question bothers you, don't look at it! Go and help some guy figure what color inner tube to use on his 1919 model T speedster with white tires. Oh my, here we go again....Actually, I love speedsters and especially the aluminum one posted on the Model A section. There must be someone in Europe making these. There was one just like this on ebay last month. It had fenders and a few different accessories than the one on FordBarn. (they both make me drool)
Old 02-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #31
Bob/Ohio

Look on my profile page and you can see what I have on my AV/8 project so far. I made my "x" out of pieces and parts from a 48 frame. The "x" also gives you your pedal mounts. Just my way of doing it.
Bob
Bob/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #32
Deuce Man

This started as one of the nicest A-chassis I've seen in some time. While running his hand along the inside edge of the rails my son said "Dad, if I was blind I would think these rails were stamped yesterday. The edges are so square!"

I made my boxing plates out of .125 mild steel plate. Had X-member channels bent up. Hole-sawed access holes for body bolts, etc. Did most of my cutting with a band saw. Had chassis blasted this week. Primed it this morning with a two-part epoxy primer. Finally got to tack my pieces together - chassis really stiffened up! Can't wait to finish weld it all together. But am going to resist till I am sure everything works. Built the chassis for my 32 coupe upside down - got a little carried away with the tacking. Pretty much finished the X-member, when I turned it over the clutch brake cutout was on the passenger side. Easy swap if I ever send it to Australia or England!

Soon as I find some '39 pedals I will finish the front half of the X-member.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1052.jpg (62.2 KB, 189 views)
Old 02-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #33
Grandadeo

So while the rest of us were at breakfast this morning - you were hittin it. That's why your stuff gets done and mine waits in the wings.

Lee
Old 03-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #34
Deuce Man

Hey Lee! Guess what I did while you guys were out for breakfast this morning? tacked in my front motor mounts, made up a little fan carrier, set my motor and transmission in place. Have to notch the center crossmember to get the back end of the motor, trans, up a little higher. Next thing to do is mock up my crossmember transmission mount/wishbone locator. Will do this in plywood first, then take template to Randy at Martin County Sheetmetal to have it cut and bent to shape. Besides 12 volt, my other modern concession is an RTS Ford four-speed overdrive. Going to cut off that ugly stick and graft on one of my old '39 sticks. Still fun up to this point.

Have this project at work - steal and hour (from myself) here and there. Work a little after work and Friday afternoons (we finish at 11:00 a.m. Fridays). If I had this at home waiting for me to do it evenings, it would still be a pile of rusty parts!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1054.jpg (76.9 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1057.jpg (66.7 KB, 220 views)
Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #35
Grandadeo

HA, we were not at breakfast this morning. That's tomorrow morning, every Friday.

Lee
Old 03-04-2011, 12:31 AM   #36
Chris

Heres my AV8 although mine is a little different. I used a F-1 center crossmember to locate the transmission and pedals. The rear end is a 40 vintage I cut the torque tub and drive shaft down and used 46-48 short arms on. I also cut some Model A rear spring hangers off some jubk tubes and bolted/welded them on the 40 rear to hang the T rear spring.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #37
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Dagels (spelling) sells an X member for model A's. They have an ad in most of the Street Rod magazines.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #38
Deuce Man

Chris: beautiful,. pure simplicity, hope I can get mine up on wheels soon! Tell me about your rear spring? Did you buy it or did you rework an original? if you did it yourself did you reverse the eyes yourself? I cant find a spring shop to do this anymore they all say "too much liability". Am tempted to try it myself anyone know about re tempering? Chris what year is the wishbone?I have a 32 does anyone know is the ball the same diam. as a Model A?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #39
Chris

My T spring is an original with the stock eyes. I took a couple leafs out...that lowers a stock Model A about 3-4". The front wishbone is a 33-34, I made a mount off the F-1 crossmember out of a 33-34 trans/wishbone mount. A 32 would also work, I just did not have one. A 32 wishbone is 2" longer then a 33/34, and yes I belive the ball is the same size on all early Fords

Heres the car mocked up

Old 03-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #40
Grandadeo

Rich, here's a tech article on reversing main leaf spring eyes from the H.A.M.B. Of course it's dealing with a front spring. See ya tomorrow. Don't forget your raffle ticket. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ghlight=spring

Lee