Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2023, 10:01 AM   #1
Bob Bidonde

Default How Old Is Too Old?

How old is too old to drive a Model "A"? I am 80 years old now and I pray that I will be fit to drive ten years into the future from now. I am thinking that my clutch leg may not be able to do the task, so an automatic transmission conversion is in my thoughts. I am also thinking about power assisted steering.

Who is the oldest Model "A" driver now I wonder? What if anything did he do to his "A" to make it derivable for him?
Old 08-04-2023, 10:19 AM   #2
ronn

Default Re: How Old Is Too Old?

Bob, Im not sure focusing on age is the answer.
It is much more important how you feel and how well your body performs. Some guys in there 80s and 90s are doing great.
Im 63 and the arthritis in my ankles.......... get my point?

do what you want to do, regardless of age, if you are in fact capable.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 01:08 PM   #3
mhsprecher

Exercise to keep your strength up. I also do yoga.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 03:26 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

I am not as old as you (I am only 79) but think I might go for one of the truck steering conversions by Randy Gross. The automatic transmissions sounds like too much work unless I just wanted to throw money at it. The problem with throwing money is that I don't know anyone I would trust to do a good job.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 03:30 PM   #5
mcgarrett

To me, this inspiring story underscores this topic perfectly:

I met am older gentleman a couple of years ago in our community who was in his early 80's and had severe COPD an other serious health issues and lived alone. He was on oxygen and other medications and his daughter was told to bring in hospice to care for him - it was touch and go for a while; they weren't sure he was going to make it. During this ordeal, he started reading about Model A's while confined at home and somehow got bit by the Model A bug. He found a '29 Tudor on Craigslist, bought it and had it delivered to his home. He got really interested in driving and working on the car some when he had the strength. After a short time, he was driving the car more - almost daily and went everywhere in it...with his oxygen bottle and breathing medications in the seat beside him!

On an outing a few months later, he was out in his Tudor and got his shoestrings tangled up in the pedals and couldn't get his foot on the brake pedal and hit a pole. Crumpled up the left front fender pretty good. Undeterred by that setback, he had the car taken to a body shop, had the fender repaired and was back on the road in no time attending some Model A driving events and short tours. He told me that he credits buying that Model A with giving him a new lease on life!

Never give up on what you love to do!!
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 06:18 PM   #6
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

A good story mcgarrett......and a good reason to not be wearing shoes that need strings also I think.
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 06:58 PM   #7
nkaminar

Exercise, physical therapy, keeping the weight off, and glucosamine supplements. Talk to your doctor.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 07:52 PM   #8
GPierce

Exercise to keep limber, proper diet to keep the weight off. Good genes help.
I am 85, active pilot with current medical. I can still crawl under my A to grease it.
For me, morning exercise to keep limber and a 2 mile brisk walk daily is essential .
I fell off that program a while back and realized not doing it came with consequences.
200 miles in my CCPU doable but would rather not. 100 miles no issue. I fly regularly.
I have a physical every year with a 6 month follow up and religiously follow the Doc’s advice.
Yes I am lucky. I won’t speculate how long that will last. Too many unknowns in life.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 08:35 PM   #9
vic

Bob,I'm 91 and my 30 town Sedan is driven at least 2 or 3 times a week..I just gave her a full lube last week.....sure beats going to the gym ! .. a hoist or a pit would make things easier....maybe one day .....I'm a bit of a stickler for originality so avoid any desire to stray from the original specs with mod cons..(.each to his own ) I enjoy the full model A experience,warts and all.My doctor once gave me some simple advice, "keep moving !" the model A provides plenty of incentive for that to happen!
Cheers Vic
vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 08:54 PM   #10
daveymc29

87,COPD, congestive heart failure, AFIB, asthma, Allergies to several trees and grasses,
almost constantly out of breathe, tired to the point of falling asleep if I sit still very long. That's the bad stuff, good stuff is I can do most all my own work on my A, Looking for a T to learn to drive it, just to do it. Helped some ladies write a book about the aunt that raised me, then wrote my own book so others can know more than they did about me and can pass it on. Besides that, it really is a interesting story, (many) Drive my A three times a week to coffee and more just to do it. To each his own as long as it's fun. If it's not fun, I'll quit.
The "Ace" mechanic. AKA David Mc Arthur of "From the Shadows of Coyote Mountain."
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 09:15 PM   #11
Banditorama

You guys are an inspiration. I hope I'm still driving cool antique cars by the time I get up to your age

A hydraulic clutch/brake conversion and power steering system would make the car much easier to drive. That and it would be a lot cheaper/easier to install too
Banditorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 07:47 AM   #12
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic View Post
Bob, I'm 91 and my 30 town Sedan is driven at least 2 or 3 times a week. I just gave her a full lube last week.....sure beats going to the gym! My doctor once gave me some simple advice, "keep moving !" the model A provides plenty of incentive for that to happen!
Cheers Vic
Vic, Being the most senior Model A driver posting so far I want to say, what a great life you are leading, an inspiration to all of us! Apparently you go about life the way I was told it works. A young fellow said, adding a constant of 15 to your current age would establish old. He was 88 + 15 made him old at 103 years. Of coarse next year at 89 he would add 15 which made him old at 104.
It made sense to me but he didn't have a way to figure what "too" old was. Don't worry about that he said, just see how it goes. I was good with that!

Bob, for you 80 + 15 = 95, and surpasses your goal of 90 by 5 years being old but not "too old" Enjoy your Model A Bob and see how it goes.
All the best!

Bob Intini
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 08:16 AM   #13
JayJay

I’ve always told my kids that “middle age” is my age plus ten. Since I’m now 70 some of us are just approaching “middle age” and using that logic none of us can possibly be “old”. (Senior discount does come in handy, though. Especially the National Parks Senior lifetime pass - best deal by far!)

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 09:07 AM   #14
Planojc

I'm 80 and had knee replacement on my left leg in January. The new knee works great for the clutch and hopefully after I get my other knee done, i'll be able to use the brakes.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 09:12 AM   #15
mcgarrett

Planojc,
Are those knee replacements of yours NOS or reproduction?
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 09:20 AM   #16
Bob Bidonde

I will be 81 this coming October, and since 2008 I have survived B Cell Lymphoma three times. I just finished a six-month chemo therapy, so I am out of shape. However, I am still driving my Victoria and soon will start refurbishing my 1931 Coupe since driving it 50,000 miles (restored in 1980). Model A's are great therapy for us Gen X folks. May God bless us all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Montage 45B & 190A Restorations kb.jpg (42.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-05-2023, 10:12 AM   #17
Planojc

These old cars are what keeps us going.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 11:11 AM   #18
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
I will be 81 this coming October, and since 2008 I have survived B Cell Lymphoma three times. I just finished a six-month chemo therapy, so I am out of shape. However, I am still driving my Victoria and soon will start refurbishing my 1931 Coupe since driving it 50,000 miles (restored in 1980). Model A's are great therapy for us Gen X folks. May God bless us all!
Uh, Bob, I think you mean Boomers, not GenX... but you can put yourself wherever you want.

But glad you're up and about.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 11:28 AM   #19
fordmerc7

I agree that the numerical age is unimportant. Physiologic age obviously doesn't keep octogenarians and nonagenarians out of cars. IMHO, the most important thing is mental age: if you have any doubts, don't do it for your sake and the sake of others.Recognize that if ANY episode or problem occurs, like an accident or near-accident, or disorientation, etc. it may be a sign that you should think seriously about keeping the car in the garage.
fordmerc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 11:42 AM   #20
David in San Antonio

Bob, I’ve come to depend on your slides, so clear, which allow me to understand how to fix my car! A thousand thanks.
After surviving prostate cancer in 2013 I thought I’d checked that box. Ha! Then in 2018 I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma (bone marrow cancer) completely unrelated to the first one. Oh, and kidney disease, too. I suddenly realized I don’t know how many shopping days I have left. I retired, bought a two-car garage (with house attached) and last year finally got the Model A I’ve wanted since I was a boy. Loving life, raising my son who’s on the autism spectrum, and recently started dating a great lady. Grateful every time I start that little engine and drive the Wretched Roadster.
Someone said “We don’t stop playing because we’re old, we get old because we stop playing.”

PS - How do you pronounce your last name? Buh DON dee?
Alamo A’s Club
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote