Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2023, 09:40 AM   #1
Kelly mt

Question Borg Warner OD No Reverse?

I have a Borg Warner OD in my '29 Coupe that has stopped working in reverse. The cable is out and should be in direct. It worked when I got the car several months ago. More info, It is wired using the governor and the solenoid is a one wire type. It does have a relay which is a newer cube type. When I try to back up I can hear a light clicking like gears just touching but not engaging. The OD works good in all ways except reverse. Ideas?
Kelly mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 10:05 AM   #2
katy

Default Re: Borg Warner OD No Reverse?

Try removing the cable from the shift lever on the OD and see if manually shifting it does anything.
Old 07-31-2023, 02:28 PM   #3
daveymc29

The cable as mentioned above. It may be that it has slipped a bit and the mechanism is really not in reverse. Mine is mounted on my shift lever for the tranny and it seems to creep down the cable holder and every once in a while I find I have no reverse, it then is just a matter of pulling the O/D shifter back up a tad and it's back in busines. Annoying, but it is a self inflicted annoyance as when I was putting the unit in my car, I made real sure the cable moved freely and was well lubed. Should have let it have a little drag and it would stay in place.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 04:33 PM   #4
AzBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
The cable as mentioned above. It may be that it has slipped a bit and the mechanism is really not in reverse. Mine is mounted on my shift lever for the tranny and it seems to creep down the cable holder and every once in a while I find I have no reverse, it then is just a matter of pulling the O/D shifter back up a tad and it's back in busines. Annoying, but it is a self inflicted annoyance as when I was putting the unit in my car, I made real sure the cable moved freely and was well lubed. Should have let it have a little drag and it would stay in place.

That is exactly what happens to my cable. I cleaned and lubed the cable a while back and now it gradually works its way down towards the OD position. Have to check it occasionally by pulling up on the knob while driving. It works its way down faster on bumpy roads. Like daveymc29, I wished it had a little more drag.
AzBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 10:43 AM   #5
AzBob

Kelly mt, here is a link to Tom Endy's article on Borg Warner overdrives.

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...r-Apr-2005.pdf

The only times my OD made that clicking noise with no movement in reverse was when the cable was down in the OD position. Quickly remedied by pulling up on the cable. (With the clutch disengaged.)

Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2023, 11:43 AM   #6
rotorwrench

The solenoid and pawl have to be disengaged to use the lockout function. As was mentioned, it has to be in lockout position to use reverse gear. It the solenoid is engaged, serious damage will result if operated in reverse. Problems can arise if the solenoid will not disengage.

Borg Warner used several safety devices in their design of this system originally. The reverse gear shifting mechanism, in the original design, would insure that the transmission would lock out. Separating the overdrive from the transmission did away with that safety function and others are generally done away with to simplify operation for applications like the model A.

There are control cables that can be locked to prevent slippage but they can be expensive.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:53 AM   #7
AzBob

If the overdrive solenoid is wired into the governor switch correctly as the OP indicated, the solenoid will be disengaged when stopped and attempting to reverse. Thus the "clicking" sound. No damage done in this case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Borg Warner OD Wiring-Model.jpg (29.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-01-2023, 05:06 PM   #8
rotorwrench

The R10 and R11 overdrive both have a sprag type free wheeling unit or one way drive. The sun gear has to be locked out or it will free wheel in reverse.

I've had solenoids stay engaged or stuck even after turning off the ignition switch on one of my Mercs. It's not a common failure but sh!t happens. I've seen and heard of the failures that can happen with these BW designs. All in all they are reliable but I prefer running them with all the safety features.
Old 08-01-2023, 05:52 PM   #9
daveymc29

I wired my hot lead to the overdrive to a lock out switch that I created on the rear of the low/reverse shifter rod housing, that is the right hand tube of the shift tower as seen from the drivers seat. Laycock de Normanville units on my Austin Healeys all had lock outs when reverse was engaged and some has it when 1st gear was engaged also. (That is the unit found on the Volvo that is rightfully so popular.)
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:25 PM   #10
AzBob

I've actually tried reversing mine in overdrive with the solenoid engaged. This was before I installed the governor switch circuit which was left out by the previous owner.

Guess what? the sprag drive free wheeling clutch didn't blow up and the world didn't end. Unless you pop the clutch, you'll immediately realize you are not going anywhere in reverse. and I might add, with no damage done.

I later disassembled the overdrive for inspection and installation of the governor switch drive gear which was missing for some reason. Found no evidence of internal damage to the unit.

Last edited by AzBob; 08-01-2023 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 08-02-2023, 12:33 AM   #11
Kelly mt

The cable has enough travel to two block the lever to the milled stop of the case. I pulled it down and everything inside looks good. The sprag clutch is in nice shape the gears have sharp edges, no metal floating around. The only thing I see is it looks like the lever isn't moving the sun gear far enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230728_111202 crop.jpg (69.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20230728_091158.jpg (70.4 KB, 19 views)
Kelly mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 02:36 PM   #12
rotorwrench

The different applications sometimes had different lock out control rod assemblies. Most of these units were made from a specific R10 unit that was easy to adapt. I'm not sure what vehicles they came from or I could find the control rod to match the unit.