Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2023, 07:37 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default finding more foot/leg room in the 31 deluxe coupe

I am a bit short in the leg for my height, now down from 5'11 and 7/8", but I still have my size 12 shoes to try to maneuver into the coupe past the door opening to the front and the seat to my heel. Not to be out done, my bride seems to usually have to exit the car a time or two per entry to retrieve a wayward shoe. So at this point I'm looking at the problem and the short answer seems to be to remove the package rack and move the seat whatever amount is then available, to the rear. What all is involved? I have seen several mentions of people having done that but no specifics of best practice. Maybe even a video to help an old guy understand?
Thanks, Davey Mc. Then there is also a question of room under the air conditioning evaporator, (Where I often find one foot during, a now panic stop.) I saw and entry about gaining room by working over the firewall/tray for the speedometer cable and the wires. Any thoughts?
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 10:06 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: finding more foot/leg room in the 31 deluxe coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
I am a bit short in the leg for my height, now down from 5'11 and 7/8", but I still have my size 12 shoes to try to maneuver into the coupe past the door opening to the front and the seat to my heel. Not to be out done, my bride seems to usually have to exit the car a time or two per entry to retrieve a wayward shoe. So at this point I'm looking at the problem and the short answer seems to be to remove the package rack and move the seat whatever amount is then available, to the rear. What all is involved? I have seen several mentions of people having done that but no specifics of best practice. Maybe even a video to help an old guy understand?
Thanks, Davey Mc. Then there is also a question of room under the air conditioning evaporator, (Where I often find one foot during, a now panic stop.) I saw and entry about gaining room by working over the firewall/tray for the speedometer cable and the wires. Any thoughts?

The package tray can be modified by removing a few inches out of it and re-welding it together. Just remember, this package tray is a structural member of the body, so don't get carried away. Below is some pix of a tray that we modified for a Cabriolet body to gain the occupants more room. Maybe that will give some inspiration??

On the A/C units we have installed, we cut the gas tank open where we could reinforce the floor of the tank. Then we welded brackets to hold the unit more securely, and also modified the tunnel where we gained a little over 2 inches of room. That's a lot of work to do on a restored car though. Below are a few pix showing how we installed that unit which does give WAY more leg/foot room.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3174.JPG (119.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3175.JPG (110.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3176.JPG (110.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3178.JPG (113.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3221.JPG (115.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3222.JPG (111.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3232.JPG (123.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4221.jpg (48.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4226.jpg (31.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 71.jpg (56.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 70.5.jpg (63.3 KB, 51 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 07:58 PM   #3
clifforddward

The package tray alteration I performed is exactly same as described by Brent, although I must admit his welds are a bit more elegant (Well, actually MUCH better) than mine. My photos attached here to provide more perspective if you decide to go this route...(I do think this is the best option to gain additional space without much show of the alteration).

I also wish to reinforce a comment Brent made...under no circumstances should the package tray be eliminated entirely...it is a structural element of the body and deleting it entirely would no doubt result in shifting that would change the geometry of the body....if you need the space make the alteration as we describe...it is a proven method that has been done many times.

Not a terribly difficult job...just a bit tedious and time consuming depending on your shop set up and working speed....for me it took a couple of weekends of "hobby time".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-P1140320.JPG (258.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 2-P1140333.jpg (65.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 3-IMG_0673.jpg (62.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 4-IMG_0672.jpg (74.3 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by clifforddward; 08-09-2023 at 07:59 PM. Reason: correcting grammar
clifforddward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 09:17 PM   #4
daveymc29

Brent and Cliff. I sure do appreciate the amount of time and effort that you spent answering my questions. I will probably opt for the package rack rebuilding. I understand you dont take the tongue off the wagon so the horses will feel less restricted. It appears that about 2 inches is about the maximum removal one can safely acheive. Is that about right? I think that would do wonders for access, Also a member of this forum has the same unit in a sedan and he managed to raise it some by lowering th cross/cab mounting bar right down into the evaporator until it almost is touching the coils. He cut a slot for the bar and removed a strip the length of the evaporator, or close to it. I will try to get a picture from him, but I could see that netting another inch and perhaps a tad more. I turned my pedals a tad and moved both clutch and brake about an inch toward the drivers door, then welded them back on the operating shafts, I might look into someting similar with the gas pedal and foot rest. Will have to examine that possibility also. Right now it is a bit of an uncomforatable reach from on the gas to on the brake, an my foot is still inclined to bring the whole unit toward me in a quick braking situation. I believe that will be doable without a major change though I haven't really thought this through yet. removing the tank would be perhaps more of an abventure than I am willing to undertake. I myself am no welder and I can't see the tank job being accomplished quickly by someone who doesn't work on these cars regularly, that being a son in law who has a shop that caters to Ferrari's and high end race machines.
Thanks again guys, Herb Newcome, you may wish to add your thoughts, sir?
Dave Mc Arthur
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote