Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #21
John Duden

Default Re: What makes a Grown Man Cry?

where do i start................i've done some of these things too.
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #22
Dick Webber

I had a 8 ft flourescent out in the shop recently, above my red 49 Ford pickup. No need to move the truck as the ladder reached from beside. I carefully removed the tubes, no problem. BUT one of the panels was loose, and as soon as the 2nd tube came out it fell, landing point down on the top of the bedside. No dent, but a nasty scratch.

Looks like as old as I am I would've learned by now . . . .
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #23
Craig Lewis

Paintless dent repair is almost an art form. Ask around some of the higher end car lots, these guys use paintless dent repair a lot and should know who's good.
You'll be amazed what a true expert can do...but the field is ripe with those who are still learning (on your car) which could lead to disappointment.
I had a 3" baseball dent fixed ontop my F150 fender. It took this guy about 5 minutes to get it perfect by working from behind with special plastic tools. He said it came out well because I hadn't messed with it first
He charged $100xx but I didn't feel ripped off.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #24
dumb person

Squeezing fresh onion juice in your eyes can do that. The dent is tiny by the way.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #25
snowbird06

Was tiling around the tub/shower during a bathroom remodel at my house. I had a hammer with me and placed it on the window sill inside the tub area.Big mistake.

Phone rang and I went to grab the phone and bumped the hammer. It fell off and took a big ugly chunk out of the tub finish.

I was so upset I actually felt sick. I know how upsetting these things can be.
snowbird06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #26
Hudsn47

As a teen, backing up my dads red 1963 F100 along side a hedge row and was looking over my shoulder and didnt realize the door was open and as I backed up the door was hitting the hedge row and sprung it back. He didnt say anything after he got me stopped but for the remaining years he owned it the door had to be slammed to close. Pretty dumb on my part think dads understand these things.
Hudsn47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #27
takomaned

Send a message via Yahoo to takomaned

A friend has an alloy bodied Allard sports car. He always bragged " it has never been rained on". while waxing it in his driveway, it started to sprinkle. In his hurry to not let it get wet, he caught the outside faucet and ripped the front fender from the headlight to the wheel opening. That'll make you cry !
Old 06-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #28
BarracudaBoy
BANNED

I had one of my garage door springs break/explode and hit the right front fender a couple of weeks ago. Wife and I hear the noise that night but I didn't know what it was until I tried to lift the door. My car isn't so nice that I really worried about the scratch.
BarracudaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #29
Roadster Rich

Thanks for all the messages. I checked out the place you mentioned in Atlanta and found it is only about 5 miles from me. I will let you know how it turns out after I work with them.
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #30
QGolden

This will do it....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grown-man-cry01b.jpg (38.3 KB, 16 views)

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #31
fordcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaBoy View Post
I had one of my garage door springs break/explode and hit the right front fender a couple of weeks ago. Wife and I hear the noise that night but I didn't know what it was until I tried to lift the door. My car isn't so nice that I really worried about the scratch.
This is a good reminder for me to put safety cables inside my garage door springs first time one broke the car was not in the garage i had them in my old garage but forgot to put them in my new one thanks
fordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #32
Not George

Sorry to hear that.
I agree with 700R.P.M. but understand your feelings as well. I hope paintless repair works for you. Good luck.
Not George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #33
mass A man

After things like that happen, I usually say "It could have been worse". Don't really know if it makes me feel THAT much better, but...there will always be accidents involving us humans! Fordcoupe, could you expand on the installation of cables through the garage door springs? How many of us have these door springs, ready to let go??
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #34
fordcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass A man View Post
After things like that happen, I usually say "It could have been worse". Don't really know if it makes me feel THAT much better, but...there will always be accidents involving us humans! Fordcoupe, could you expand on the installation of cables through the garage door springs? How many of us have these door springs, ready to let go??
Sure When a spring brakes on a older garage door like a lot of us have it wants to fly anywere and take out anything in it's way I was told by a old garage door installer with the spring stretched full to run a small rope cable true the center of the spring attach one side with cable clamps to the eyelet were the spring hooks on to the other side of the cable attach to the bracket that your springs hooks to That way when a spring brakes the cable holds the broken spring in place i hope this helps you (note if you have the garage door with the springs over the top of the door with a steel rod inside them no problum with broken springs just hard to open door till you replace them)

Last edited by fordcoupe; 06-15-2013 at 03:44 PM.
fordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #35
mass A man

Thanks Fordcoupe, A spring let go years ago in a garage where I was storing a 1927 Packard and it just missed the car by an inch. It put a hole in his cement block wall behind car. SEE? It could have been worse!
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote