Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
Duke of Earl

Default What engine do I have?

29 closed cab mod a pickup. Titled vin# A2252539 engine has no number on a machined plate 3 1/4 x 7/8. Engine also has no oil return tube, solid valve cover and a plate over what looks like a fuel pump mount. Timing cover is same as 29 stock cover, Simmons super power head that's marked for model a. Runs great and hate taking it down to try to find out what it is. Could this be a model b block?
Are parts interchangeable between them?
Are there any other differences I can look for on the outside?
Thanks, George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.3 KB, 213 views)
Duke of Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Paul_nz

Default Re: What engine do I have?

Looking at the lower plate it blocks off the fuel pump, so my best guess is that it is a Model B block
Paul_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

The provision for a fuel pump that is blocked off definitely says it is a B block. No need to look inside it is a B block. The B block did not have a serial number, the number was stamped into the flywheel housing for the B. Depending upon the distributer used it could have either a Model A or Model B timing cover (see http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/timingcovers.htm). The oil pan is different in the back, you will probably see indications that someone modified it to use in a Model A (unless the used the B transmission also). Most parts are similar but not interchangeable, did you have any specific question?

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 05-29-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:59 AM   #4
Duke of Earl

I agree the pump mount makes it look like a b block, but what about the Simmons head would that also fit on a b block? There is a narrow strip of thin metal between the oil pan and bell housing held in by pan bolts, possibly to hide alterations to oil pan. No numbers on housing above starter. From what I've been reading there were changes in water passages in the block, so would the Simmons head still fit, and what gasket would be used? Thanks guys for the info, it's great to get answers to some of these burning questions I have
George
Old 05-30-2014, 06:21 AM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Charlie is the authority ! He knows of what he speaks. So now you know it is a B go and enjoy it.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:36 AM   #6
29Cabriolet

Does it have a 3 bolt water pump or 4 bolt water pump?
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:40 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Earl View Post
I agree the pump mount makes it look like a b block, but what about the Simmons head would that also fit on a b block? There is a narrow strip of thin metal between the oil pan and bell housing held in by pan bolts, possibly to hide alterations to oil pan. No numbers on housing above starter. From what I've been reading there were changes in water passages in the block, so would the Simmons head still fit, and what gasket would be used? Thanks guys for the info, it's great to get answers to some of these burning questions I have
George
Yup it would fit as the bolt pattern id the same.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
George
The Simmons head would fit right on either engine. I would use the gasket the closest matches the combustion chamber but there is a lot of data in the archives about head gaskets. Be sure the two extra water passage holes in the block are covered by the gasket or plug them. The attached picture shows the two extra water passage holes circled in white in a B head. These are the holes I am referring to but in the block itself. The Model B pan extended under the flywheel housing (it was the bottom of the housing). Someone cut the back off to use with a Model A transmission. I left "a thin strip of metal" when I cut the Model B pan off to use in my Model A. When you talk about numbers on the flywheel housing above the starter these numbers are on a Model B housing only and not on the Model A.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7854.jpg (72.9 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 05-30-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
chiliman

Your B block for sure check the block for a small diamond in. Front of upper right corner of valve cover if so you have hard valve seats and bigger gusset s around the main s also pull your oil filler tube and shine light in to see if it has counter weights and if condensor is out side of distrbtor its a B with centrifugal anvance if so you will need to time with light to get it right on the money with A timing cover
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #10
chiliman

O yea you haVe oil presser to mains bigger journinals on crank mains and rods
Old 05-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #11
Duke of Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Cabriolet View Post
Does it have a 3 bolt water pump or 4 bolt water pump?
Has 4 bolt water pump. No diamond on block
Old 05-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #12
29Cabriolet

Quote:
Has 4 bolt water pump. No diamond on block
I have a 3 bolt water pump and was told that is because its a B engine; A engines's have 4 bolt. Guess maybe that's not always the case(?)
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #13
chiliman

Yes B heads have 3 bolts on water pump HE has siminos high compression head for A or B with 4 bolt water pump aftermarket speed item
Old 05-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #14
Duke of Earl

Thanks everyone for the info, my mind is at ease.
George