Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2022, 12:16 PM   #1
ModelAMitch

Default Distributor Help!

Hey guys, I thought I had my car running great. I took it out yesterday and it all of a sudden died. No spitting and sputtering, just died. Long story, but I thought it was fuel and messed with the carb, then realized it was a spark issue. I got it towed home and now I’m messing with the distributor. I plan to rebuild it because I’m not sure the last time it was done (I’ve owned the car for 3 months). The distributor shaft does not have the hole to oil it which leads me to believe it’s old and a 1 piece shaft.
During my diagnosis, when I hand crank the car over, my distributor cam is not spinning.. I can’t spin the distributor cam with my hand so the teeth on the bottom of the shaft are not chewed up? Is something else in the engine chewed up?
This is my first time messing with the distributor, I currently have the top plate hanging off to the side with the wire still connected to the bottom plate, but I cannot lift the bottom plate out of the distributor body. I’d like to pull the distributor shaft out of the engine so I can provide the Fordbarn with more information to my problem but I don’t want to wreck anything.

Any info will be greatly appreciated and thank you guys in advance.
It’s unfortunate because the last time I had it out, it ran so well and had no hiccups.
Thanks again Fordbarn
ModelAMitch is offline   Reply With Quote