Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Stretch Cab

Default Can I get by?

I have read previous posts and know and agree that bigger is better when talking about a compressor. My question is whether I can use my Dewalt nail gun compressor that has 2 scfm @90lb. with my HVLP gun to spray "small" individual chassis parts? No panels or fenders just spindels, axels etc...
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Can I get by?

Probably not,, it might depend on the size of the gun ,, but,, cut back the pressure and give it try.. Use some cheap stuff through it,, if it'll blow thinner or reducer it'll probably throw paint.. Its worth a try..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

hook up the gun dry, pull the trigger, watch the pressure, if it stays above the pressure you want at the gun it is enough---but I dobt it will work a high volume low pressure type of gun (high volume means lots of air at low pressure)----a gun made for a diaphram compresser will probably work ---I painted my car with a "speedy sprayer", it used a low pressure (35 lb) low volume (1/3hp)compresser---

I did have a system many years ago using a low hp compresser and several large tanks(about 200 gallon), could paint for 20 min of an hour with the compresser running steady
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Stretch Cab

Thanks so much. I will give it a try and I remembered I also have a regular gun stuck away somewhere that might take less volume.
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Popeye31

you really need at least 6.9scfm at 40 psi and that is about the lowest you would want to go for spraing. I have a cambels housefield 26 gallon compressor I got from walmart that is great for small stuff (chassis,rearend,front axle,springs,etc). you might be able to spray spindals and brackets with the small compressor but you will realy need to turn the pressure down.use the small touchup gun from harberfreight the purple one with the white cup and it might work.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
29restorod

I once painted a car with an old refrigerater compressor,connected to an empty freon bottle. The next compressor I had was a dentist unit,a little better,but not by much. A nail gun compressor would be a big step up from those.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
socalplanedoc

It'll work! I do it often. Get yourself a Paasche Model H airbrish with a #5 tip. the little nailgun compressors power it fine and with the #5 tip it throws almost a much paint as a rattle can. real easy to clean too.

I use it all the time for painting airplane parts after stripping the old paint off for inspections.. Landing gear legs, wheel halves, etc...
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Jim Brierley

A small compressor will work if you have a large reservoir, just be patient as it will take time to fill the tank.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote