Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2017, 07:06 AM   #1
captndan

Default Car shows

What makes a really good car show? What makes you want to show your car?
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:56 AM   #2
jhowes

Default Re: Car shows

Lack of loud music really helps. Cost of getting in is an issue discussed on the barn other times. Let the spectators pay, we have thousands in the cars that they have come to see. I go to one each year that separates the cars by year groups. Like pre 35, then 35 to 50 then 50 on up which includes the muscle cars. nothing newer than 25 year old vehicles. I find it nice to see a Model A next to a Whippet or Chevy. Judging and trophies not necessary, distracting at best. Some find the hotrods a distraction, but if they have their own place on the grounds I say suck it up and let them in.
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
Licensed to kill

Nothing really makes me want to show my cars. However, there are 5 very small town within a hour of me and if they put one on I will pit a few in just to support the community. Having a cruise included is a plus for me. No judging or prizes is a HUGE plus for me. This hobby is NOT a competition IMO. If there is judging, I wont enter. Don't need nor want the approval of others. Now, having said that, I AM planning on taking "Henry" (the truck in my avatar) to a show this coming weekend that is an 8 hour drive from here. It's a large show that typically gets 1100-1200 cars. The only reason I'll go is because a buddy of mine (best man at my wedding) is heavily involved in it and it's more of an excuse to go for a visit. Well, that and "Henry" could use a little exercise before winter.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #4
denis4x4

Been participating in car shows since 1958! Very simply, the best car shows have the best people or put another way, the best people make the best car shows! It costs money to promote a car show and I don't buy into the "why should I pay money to enter a car show so that other people can pay money to see my car" argument.

My car show participation is limited to single day shows promoted by clubs that give registration money to non profits.

Finally, I'm a car guy and I enjoy looking at a wide variety of cars and meeting new people with different views.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #5
leo

Pets, weapons and alcohol should be excluded.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #6
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
My opinion: I like the Concours D'Elegance type shows. They don't allow hot rods, and the cars are almost all very high quality restorations or very well preserved originals.

There is a big one coming up this weekend at Ironstone. I like to be there on Friday afternoon and early Saturday when the cars drive onto the lawns.

No loud music (especially not that darned 50's stuff the hot rodders seem to love), no dogs, and no kids running around screaming. Big plus if the Concours is on beautiful lawns or other picnic-able area.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #7
oldbird55

Local cruise nites are great.
oldbird55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
glenn in camino

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
My opinion: I like the Concours D'Elegance type shows. They don't allow hot rods, and the cars are almost all very high quality restorations or very well preserved originals.

There is a big one coming up this weekend at Ironstone. I like to be there on Friday afternoon and early Saturday when the cars drive onto the lawns.

No loud music (especially not that darned 50's stuff the hot rodders seem to love), no dogs, and no kids running around screaming. Big plus if the Concours is on beautiful lawns or other picnic-able area.
I'll be there showing my Model A sport coupe. Great place, great cars, wine tasting. Always a good time.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #9
Railcarmover
BANNED

Bugorama Sacramento,VW show,swap and drag racing...camping,alcohol,loud music,open fires,you name it...Woodstock for cars..I'm too old for those shenanigans
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #10
mhsprecher

I guess the three for me are location, variety of cars and the weather.

My three favorite shows are all on grass fields, which, if the weather is good, is a much more forgiving surface than asphalt. My favorite shows are Rockville, MD; the car show at Hershey in October and my local club's show in Sully, VA. All have a good variety of cars. The two local ones have lots of people I know, so the socializing is good.

The quality and variety of cars at Hershey makes it a favorite, although the size of the crowd makes it difficult getting around. I also enjoy the marque club shows, like MARC and the Early Ford V8 club. I went to the Concours in Greenwich, CT once and really enjoyed that one, too.

Last edited by mhsprecher; 09-17-2017 at 09:55 PM.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #11
Bill G

Quote:
A cruise really adds spice to a show. We just had one last week end on a Friday evening, preceding the actual car show on Saturday. The cruise lasted about an hour and wound its way all through town. Our city is about 35,000 population so it is large enough to have a great turn out, but small enough that the cruise can wind around pretty much the major parts of town. Crowds of people everywhere, and they really get off when I blew the ahooga horn.

So, maybe the community involvement is one good element for the show.

The Saturday show had about 300-400 cars, and yes there were kids, music and pets. I enjoyed it all.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:45 AM   #12
JOHN CT

I'm in charge of a show today. We have about 70 cars but only 10 model A's and it's free
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (108.5 KB, 115 views)
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #13
Michael M

I like the local shows put on by churches, schools, fraternal groups, etc. These shows usually attract more families (children) and present an opportunity to inform and educate the young. This interaction is, to me, the best part of any show.

But ditto on the loud music! If you have to shout over the din it's not a good time for anyone. (I've never seen anyone pay attention to the music or the DJ anyway.)
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #14
Phil Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Bugorama Sacramento,VW show,swap and drag racing...camping,alcohol,loud music,open fires,you name it...Woodstock for cars..I'm too old for those shenanigans
But some of us refuse to grow up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hater maker.... last day.jpg (19.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Bug at Barona.jpg (60.7 KB, 38 views)
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #15
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Brown View Post
But some of us refuse to grow up
No kidding..they get likkered up Saturday night and then walk around the swap meet in the hot sun the next day,sick and hung over..I always spent the night when I was hustling parts but avoided the debauchery,bad enough sweating and covered in dust,the bottle flu only adds to the misery..

there sure is a bunch of model A / Vw types huh..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #16
1928Mik

I have shown several cars over the years and it's just not fun for me anymore. I noticed alot of shows were 'fixed' in the fact that if you were unknown or not friends with anyone in any of the clubs, you were overlooked. Local cruise-ins were the best, but I did notice alot of times it was the same people with the same cars week after week where they would arrive early, set up their cute little lawn chairs and ez-ups, and sit for 3 hours listening to that damn 50's DJ music. I could skip it for a year and go back and it would be the same. So now I really just enjoy meeting people and talking about cars wherever I go instead of sitting at a car show where the next guy would know just a bit more than you do.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #17
2manycars

Seems like I am not alone in hateing the loud 50's music. I dont even like the quiet 50's music. I like to look at cars. I like to talk to car people. Car show DO NOT need music!!
There is a nice cruise night in the next town each month, and I go to see the cars. I park my car as far away from the crappy, sappy 50's music as I can get. The fat little music guy thinks he is doing us a favor, but shouting to talk is not my idea of a good time. the cars are from the teens, 20's. 30's 40's 50's 60's and 70's but the music is the same old 50's crap each time. I cant wait for that guy to retire.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #18
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
I'll be there showing my Model A sport coupe. Great place, great cars, wine tasting. Always a good time.
Awesome!!! I am planning to bring the 31 Tudor. My 29 Fordor won "Best Unrestored" and "Best in Class" last year, so it was ineligible this year.

Let's hook up! My company is a silver sponsor, so I have passes for the VIP area with the fancy food and booze. It would be an honor to have you as my guest, Glenn. Just look for the youngest Model A owner out there, that's me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016 Ironstone Concours 3.jpg (54.0 KB, 110 views)
Old 09-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #19
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
Seems like I am not alone in hateing the loud 50's music. I dont even like the quiet 50's music. I like to look at cars. I like to talk to car people. Car show DO NOT need music

Agreed!!! Some of the Concours type shows have some live, usually acustic music playing softly in the background. That really adds to a show. This year, like others before, Ironstone will have a live big band playing the big band music of Glenn Miller, Harry James Orahestra, Benny Goodman, etc.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #20
TerryO

[QUOTE][This year, like others before, Ironstone will have a live big band playing the big band music of Glenn Miller, Harry James Orahestra, Benny Goodman, etc. /QUOTE]

NICE!!!

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #21
Curly

I love going to shows to see my Model A buddies, but I am more of a driver than a shower. At shows people sit on your fenders and stand around wanting to tell you about their muscle car they are restoring.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:55 PM   #22
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post

My car show participation is limited to single day shows promoted by clubs that give registration money to non profits.

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M View Post
I like the local shows put on by churches, schools, fraternal groups, etc. These shows usually attract more families (children) and present an opportunity to inform and educate the young. This interaction is, to me, the best part of any show.

But ditto on the loud music! If you have to shout over the din it's not a good time for anyone. (I've never seen anyone pay attention to the music or the DJ anyway.)
Again Ditto

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 09-18-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:10 AM   #23
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
To answer your question, variety.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:16 AM   #24
Bill G

I hate the music too. Actually, I used to enjoy music, but with a real bad hearing loss, I have grown to hate it because I can't carry on a conversation with background stuff going on. (Color me old and crabby)

On the other hand, agreeing with Mike V Florida, variety is a key to a good show, and music does attract people. The '50's/'60's music gives it a flare of "oldies" that goes along with old cars. At least I would rather listen to The Beach Boys than most anything else in mainstream music of today.

In order to have a show, there needs to be attendees, and the shows need attendees to be successful. I think those coming to a car show rather expect to also have the music, hot dogs, and the obligatory t-shirt.

Dang!
Old 09-18-2017, 04:48 AM   #25
BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 09-19-2017 at 05:35 PM.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:42 AM   #26
Jim Baskin III Pa.

Here in north central Pennsylvania ( Muncy,Montoursville ) we started a Model A Club in May of this year called the West Branch A's and are MARC sanctioned.We have 10 members.A Ford dealership had a all Fords show and we were able to pick up 4 new members.
So for us car shows are a great way to show people our cars and recruit new members.
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:01 AM   #27
Karl

I love driving all my cars and I used to enjoy showing them. However I don't show any more . I just got feed up with people telling me (almost always incorrectly) what they considered wrong about them. I have spent a lot of time and effort to ensure they are as original as I can make them consistent with me driving them safely and often. The last show I went to I ended up arguing with some one who felt that my 1930 Model A should be black as" that's the only color they came in". My efforts to explain that that was the model T but only from about 1914 to 1926 and not in this country in any case just fell on deaf ears . I thought why am I bothering! So now I don't -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #28
Lona

I think the best shows to attend are those with a variety of cars you haven't seen before and those with a variety of things to do so you don't need to sit around and chat all day. Yesterday, we went to the Stratford Hall show at the Robert E Lee birthplace in eastern Virginia. Besides the cars, there were many tents set up for wine and beer tasting, many craft tents, a good number of food vendors, a tractor pulling barrel cars for kids, and free tours of the Great House right on the grounds. ( the politically correct police will probably have that house torn down before next year's show or at least covered in black drapery) Also, there was an abundant amount of shade which was nice at any summer show.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:18 AM   #29
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I love driving all my cars and I used to enjoy showing them. However I don't show any more . I just got feed up with people telling me (almost always incorrectly) what they considered wrong about them. I have spent a lot of time and effort to ensure they are as original as I can make them consistent with me driving them safely and often. The last show I went to I ended up arguing with some one who felt that my 1930 Model A should be black as" that's the only color they came in". My efforts to explain that that was the model T but only from about 1914 to 1926 and not in this country in any case just fell on deaf ears . I thought why am I bothering! So now I don't -Karl
I had exactly the same thing. You can see their eyes glaze over when I try to explain that even the Model T was available in about half a dozen colours here. All black was in US only. (Sorry for the "All Black" pun!!)
Old 09-18-2017, 08:27 AM   #30
Tom Wesenberg

Anoka, Minnesota has a large car show every Saturday with several hundred cars always showing up, but the "music" is so loud it hurts my ears and I can't talk to the person next to me without yelling. I quit going mainly for that reason.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:05 AM   #31
rowens55

Man, I hope I never get to old to enjoy good ol 50s rockabilly music!! Hot rods, muscle cars, restored cars... I love em all and go to every show I can. Even when my 55CV is down for a few more mods. Loud music, parts venders, food venders, they are all part of the experience.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #32
burner31

I like them small, under 100 cars.
I don't go to the big city, big car shows.
Give me the small town, rural, show every time.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #33
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
Seems like I am not alone in hateing the loud 50's music. I dont even like the quiet 50's music. I like to look at cars. I like to talk to car people. Car show DO NOT need music!!
There is a nice cruise night in the next town each month, and I go to see the cars. I park my car as far away from the crappy, sappy 50's music as I can get. The fat little music guy thinks he is doing us a favor, but shouting to talk is not my idea of a good time.
I hate loud music too, but '50's music is about all there is. Music died in the '60's with the coming of the Beatles, etc. Ever since most "music" is just a bunch of drugged up monkeys beating on kitchen pots and pans. Totally no talent garbage!!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #34
nhusa

I haven't taken the A to a show yet, but have taken the 1919 T four times.
Sometimes it is a big show with a few hundred cars and sometimes it is a small one with 100 cars.

I think I enjoy the small ones better because people take time to stop and talk instead of rushing to the next vehicle.
I have a poster explaining the Model T and the history of my vehicle, with copies of the original registration.
I also let kids sit in the car after cautioning them to be careful while their parents take pictures.

All of the shows I go don't have judges- they let the crowd vote.
People seem to like the T (and maybe me for letting the kids sit in the car) because it has been voted to get a first, 2 seconds, and a third place trophy. Four for four!
At one show it also got a BIG spectator's choice trophy!
It was funny to see an old somewhat dusty Model T next to a perfect best of show 427 Cobra.

At least they were both FoMOCo products.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:08 AM   #35
KGBnut

I prefer the family-friendly shows. I love talking with both parents and kids about the history of the cars. Yes, some kids can be a little unruly, but I'm pretty good at managing them. Kids that are well-behaved are allowed to climb inside for pictures.

I agree with most of the comments about loud music. I don't really think it is needed, but if it is not too loud it doesn't bother me. One of my favorite shows, Beardsley Cider Mill, is only Model T and Model A era cars and they play mostly bluegrass and old-timey music and not too loud (thank you, Dan!).

It's all about conversation and sharing...no judging...no trophies.

Ken
Old 09-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #36
George Miller

I show all my cars on the road. I refuse to pay some one to show my cars.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #37
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
I hate loud music too, but '50's music is about all there is. Music died in the '60's with the coming of the Beatles, etc. Ever since most "music" is just a bunch of drugged up monkeys beating on kitchen pots and pans. Totally no talent garbage!!
Really! I believe The Beatles gave us some of the greatest music ever produced. I don't think they ever played kitchen pots -However Ringo once played a packing case on "Words of Love" but that was a remake of Buddy Holly's song from the 50's.They however may have been drugged later in the 60's (like a lot of their audience)

I disagree that many modern musicians aren't talented -I just suspect their talent lies in marketing rather than music ! -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #38
1931 flamingo

I and a couple of other A'ers and one T go to a show a week, weather permitting. I love the 50's music but everybody is right, NO need to play it as loud as it gets. Bummer.
The fellow with the sport coupe encourages kids to sit in the rumble seat. I have them sit in the driver's seat of my tudor. Mom, Dad, you got a cell phone with camera??
Hardly ever does any one ever touch the cars . We answer a lot of folks questions. Sometimes we're the only "old" cars there.
We have a good time, solve all the problems of the world.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:36 PM   #39
Mike V. Florida

Like others, I have had the person that comments negatively about my car. But unlike most, I take that as an icebreaker. I think of it as a conversation starter between them and I. Most ofter the story goes something like "I had one like that when I was younger, had to sell it when the family came about, etc, etc, etc. It was not that long ago that correct information about our cars was not easy to be found. I rarely correct them and if I do it goes something like "oh, I thought it was like ...." I have met these people more than once at shows and it's always hi, how are you doing, etc. Sure, once in a great while you get an ass but if he is an ass about a car he does not own then he is an ass in almost all things.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:43 AM   #40
kbinde2

Hagley Museum (Delaware) is a nice show we go to in September. The venue and assortment of cars is awesome. A different theme each year for special interest, and a general category that draws about 500-600 vehicles. No judging or trophy, just a family day to enjoy our hobby.! Always some steam, early electric, and a good representation of hobby and collector vehicles.
kbinde2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:44 AM   #41
pooch

Wow, I do not think I would like meeting most of you on this topic,

I like a bit of 50/s music, I hate concourse check book cars, I like hot rods.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:15 AM   #42
ronn

A real nice collection of cars-Hellertown PA comes to mind and I enjoy a bit of a flea!

good conversation as well............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:27 AM   #43
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Boy..............did you hit the nail on the head!
If it can't be good, it needs to be LOUD! B.S.

I remember when the Beetles hit the air, and it only went downhill from there. I thought this is just a passing fad, and they will soon get back to good music, but it never happened. Now it's a bunch of no talent freaks dressing weird and making loud noises to get attention.

Yesterday I walked into one of my favorite antique shops in Wisconsin, and Patsy Cline just came on with "Sweet Dreams". She is one of my all time favorites, and I've heard some imitators of Patsy that are also great, but it's too bad they aren't on the air.

Any more if you want good music you have to tune in the reruns of Lawrence Welk every Saturday from 6 to 7. Not only do you hear good music, but you get to see lots of beautiful talented women.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #44
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miller View Post
I show all my cars on the road. I refuse to pay some one to show my cars.
Exactly right.

That's the other reason I don't show my cars at the Anoka Saturday night car show. Why should I pay someone $3 to let other people see my car. Besides that I'd be missing all those beautiful talented ladies on Lawrence Welk.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:01 AM   #45
George Miller

Tom sorry I missed you at the Model A days. We stopped there on our way back from Alpena Mich on friday. But were in a hurry to get home, so we did not stay.

First time I ever seen a standup Model A truck.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #46
old31

Oh boy Tom.!! Tisk Tisk Tisk. This is one time I will disagree with you on something.

I think you really meant to say "Music STARTED in the '60's with the coming of the Beatles, Led Zepplin, The Animals, The Rolling Stones, The Monkeys, The Who, Janice Joplin, Cream, The Bryds, Crosby Stills & Nash, Jim Hendrix, The Turtles, Jefferson Airplane, The Dave Clark Five, Sam The Sham & The Pharoahs, Tommy James & The Shondells, Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention, Paul Revere & The Raiders, The Hollies, Steppenwolf, Herman's Hermits, The Grateful Dead, The Doors, Roy Orbison, The Four Seasons, Buffalo Springfield, Donovan, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The (Young) Rascals, Johnny Rivers, Pink Floyd, Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels, Blood, Sweat & Tears, The Spencer Davis Group, Three Dog Night, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Gerry & The Pacemakers, The Jeff Beck Group, The Buckinghams, Traffic, The Moody Blues, Sir Douglas Quintet, Procol Harum, The Zombies, The Righteous Brothers, The Animals.

That's just off the top of my head. Don't get me going.

Oh, by the way you said Lawrence Who-What. He must have been one of those later hair bands out of the 70's I guess.

Last edited by old31; 09-19-2017 at 03:57 PM.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:50 AM   #47
34pickup

I also have to agree with the others complaining about the LOUD music. If you want to have music, make it low key. If you want to hear it, park closer to the speakers. I hate the loud PA systems that are loud enough that people 100 yards away can't even hear themselves talking.

And the prices to participate are too high. Some of us older retired people are on fixed income. Spending $20 or more every weekend to let someone look at a car we spent thousands of dollars and years of labor to restore is just too expensive. Why do the spectators get in for nothing and we fit the whole bill? Drop the entrance fee and charge everyone so it isn't so painful to participate.

A swap meet area just makes the show to me. I get bored seeing the same cars every time so a stroll through the swap meet area is a nice treasure hunt. And if you charge the swap meet people less you might get some locals wanting to clean out the garage to show up.
Finally...having it in an area with shade is a real plus. Here in the south, it gets intolerable out in the sun after a few hours. Thats one of the reasons I always cut out early.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #48
BILL WILLIAMSON

If you attend a show with a NEGATIVE ATTITUDE, they should give you a TURD Trophy & direct you to the GATE!!!
Bill Blunt!
Old 09-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #49
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
Oh boy Tom.!! Tisk Tisk Tisk. This is one time I will disagree with you on something.

I think you really meant to say "Music STARTED in the '60's with the coming of the Beatles, Led Zepplin, The Animals, The Rolling Stones, The Monkeys, The Who, Janice Joplin, Cream, The Bryds, Crosby Stills & Nash, Jim Hendrix, The Turtles, Jefferson Airplane, The Dave Clark Five, Sam The Sham & The Pharoahs, Tommy James & The Shondells, Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention, Paul Revere & The Raiders, The Hollies, Steppenwolf, Herman's Hermits, The Grateful Dead, The Doors, Roy Orbison, The Four Seasons, Buffalo Springfield, Donovan, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The (Young) Rascals, Johnny Rivers, Pink Floyd, Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels, Blood, Sweat & Tears, The Spencer Davis Group, Three Dog Night, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Gerry & The Pacemakers, The Jeff Beck Group, The Buckinghams, Traffic, The Moody Blues, Sir Douglas Quintet, Procol Harum, The Zombies, The Righteous Brothers, The Animals.

That's just off the top of my head. Don't get me going.

Oh, by the way you said Lawrence Who-What. He must have been one of those later hair bands out of the 70's I guess.
Looks like you just posted a list of illegal drug users that should have been locked up!
Old 09-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #50
1928Mik

I got your back Old31. You hit the nail on the head.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #51
BILL WILLIAMSON

Some folks should NEVER go to a Car Show, jist stay at HOME & become a "harmless" RECLUSE!
Guess Who?
Old 09-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #52
denis4x4

34pickup said, "And the prices to participate are too high. Some of us older retired people are on fixed income. Spending $20 or more every weekend to let someone look at a car we spent thousands of dollars and years of labor to restore is just too expensive. Why do the spectators get in for nothing and we fit the whole bill? Drop the entrance fee and charge everyone so it isn't so painful to participate."

Bet most people on the 'barn have better things to do than hit a car show every week! More and more one day shows are held on a main street that's blocked off. How are you going to charge spectators that are already on the sidewalks? Yet to participate in a car show that didn't have a goodie bag that included useful stuff worth at least half my entry fee. BTW, that entry fee also covers liability insurance for the club/promoter that covers you when the guy in a muscle car doing burnouts gets out of shape a hits your fender.

Note to old31: you forgot the groups that made car songs famous like the Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, The Rip Cords, Ronny & the Daytonas and don't forget the great surf sounds from the Ventures, the Surfaries, the Meltones Dick Dale & the Del-Tones and a host other great SoCal groups from the fifties and sixties.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #53
old31

Quote:
Looks like you just posted a list of illegal drug users that should have been locked up!
Well, maybe. I never said they were angles. I am just saying that is when I consider the real music to have been started.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #54
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
34pickup said, "And the prices to participate are too high. Some of us older retired people are on fixed income. Spending $20 or more every weekend to let someone look at a car we spent thousands of dollars and years of labor to restore is just too expensive. Why do the spectators get in for nothing and we fit the whole bill? Drop the entrance fee and charge everyone so it isn't so painful to participate."

Bet most people on the 'barn have better things to do than hit a car show every week! More and more one day shows are held on a main street that's blocked off. How are you going to charge spectators that are already on the sidewalks? Yet to participate in a car show that didn't have a goodie bag that included useful stuff worth at least half my entry fee. BTW, that entry fee also covers liability insurance for the club/promoter that covers you when the guy in a muscle car doing burnouts gets out of shape a hits your fender.

Note to old31: you forgot the groups that made car songs famous like the Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, The Rip Cords, Ronny & the Daytonas and don't forget the great surf sounds from the Ventures, the Surfaries, the Meltones Dick Dale & the Del-Tones and a host other great SoCal groups from the fifties and sixties.
Denis, you are 100% correct. It was the Ventures that made me pick up my first guitar and start my first band.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:17 PM   #55
34pickup

Denis4X4: don't recall having a car show down here where the streets are blocked off and they charge to enter. We call those cruise-ins and they are free. The merchants on the street like it because it brings in spectator business.
I don't mind a reasonable fee to enter if it goes to charity but most of them here are just put on to make money. If you are going to do that, charge everyone a nominal fee, entrants and spectators alike. And $20 is way too much in my broke ass opinion.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #56
old31

Oh sorry Tom, I shouldn't be picking on you. Even if you do like Lawrence Welk. I thought it was you that made the comment about the Beatles. It was 40 Deluxe that made that terrible comment about music ending in the 60's.

Tisk tisk 40 deluxe. Please don't tell me you listen to Lawrence Welk too.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:40 PM   #57
ronn

Any more if you want good music you have to tune in the reruns of Lawrence Welk every Saturday from 6 to 7. Not only do you hear good music, but you get to see lots of beautiful talented women.

I know you are kidding Tom, right?!
My grandmom listened to Welk when I was a kid and it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Never got it and never will!
There is no point in loud music unless it is Zeppelin!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #58
SeaSlugs

Around here theres mostly cruise ins. Usually a huge parking lot or old town square. ALWAYS near a restaurant always free to go and see. Most people to drive their cars, go, park, eat dinner somewhere, wander about then leave. Very occasionally they will hold a cruise in for a local charity where your expected but dont have to make some kinda donation (few bucks to whatever you want) Sometimes local FORD or Chevy dealer will hold a cruise in on their lot - those are nice cuz they give participants free popcorn and sometimes a free hotdog for bringing your car!
Old 09-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #59
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
Oh sorry Tom, I shouldn't be picking on you. Even if you do like Lawrence Welk. I thought it was you that made the comment about the Beatles. It was 40 Deluxe that made that terrible comment about music ending in the 60's.

Tisk tisk 40 deluxe. Please don't tell me you listen to Lawrence Welk too.
"Terrible comment"?! Well, as they say 'The truth hurts, doesn't it'!
No, I don't listen to Lawrence Welk but my wife does. I prefer artists like Denis4X4 listed, and others from that era. Not the noise making freak no-talents that started popping up after those English mopheads somehow got on the Ed Sullivan show!
Most of those in your list are from the era of Chevy Vegas, Pintos, Citations and K cars. Oh, and Pontiac Azteks, too!
Old 09-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #60
JDupuis

Its wonderful, wonderful! Now let's give a big hand for Sissy and Bobby as they dance the night away.! Memories! . Jeff
Old 09-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #61
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
I also have to agree with the others complaining about the LOUD music. If you want to have music, make it low key. If you want to hear it, park closer to the speakers. I hate the loud PA systems that are loud enough that people 100 yards away can't even hear themselves talking.

And the prices to participate are too high. Some of us older retired people are on fixed income. Spending $20 or more every weekend to let someone look at a car we spent thousands of dollars and years of labor to restore is just too expensive. Why do the spectators get in for nothing and we fit the whole bill? Drop the entrance fee and charge everyone so it isn't so painful to participate.

A swap meet area just makes the show to me. I get bored seeing the same cars every time so a stroll through the swap meet area is a nice treasure hunt. And if you charge the swap meet people less you might get some locals wanting to clean out the garage to show up.
Finally...having it in an area with shade is a real plus. Here in the south, it gets intolerable out in the sun after a few hours. Thats one of the reasons I always cut out early.
Agreed. I could never understand paying to show your car. It would be like a concert where the spectators get in free and the performers have to pay to perform.

My favorite local show used to be The "Roaring Twenties" car show held in Southbury CT. They were very organized with all the cars parked by class and year, making viewing a pleasure. And they had a big flea market.

This year they moved their show to Bethlehem CT, and last weekend I attended with great expectations. Unfortunately I was disappointed. They did not supply windshield ID cards to show the year, make, and model of your car. And this year the parking was just a big "miss-mash". As a spectator viewing was not fun. I would not have wanted to be a judge! Imagine a museum where all their exhibits were just randomly thrown in a big room without any information, and visitors had to sort through it all themselves.

Cost was another issue. The admission fee was advertised as $10. While philosophically I am opposed to making cars pay to show, I can "deal" with $10 seeing it as a donation. However when we got to the table to pay, they were charging $5 extra for every person in the car besides the driver. So our REAL cost to enter was $15 not $10. IF you had a big sedan and filled it with friends & family, it might cost you $30-$40 to get into the show so they could make more money charging others to look at your car! Outrageous!!

The car corral was mostly empty ($40 to put your car in), and the flea market (also $40) was also not as good as in prior years. Can you spell GREED!

I hope they get their act together next year, or I will be no longer attending this show.

BTW If you go to our club's (The Fairfield County A's) website:

fairfieldcountymodelA.club

You will find links to club video's (including my trip to this show). An if you click on the "Photo Archive" link you can browse albums of all the local CT shows I have been to.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #62
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
"Terrible comment"?! Well, as they say 'The truth hurts, doesn't it'!
No, I don't listen to Lawrence Welk but my wife does. I prefer artists like Denis4X4 listed, and others from that era. Not the noise making freak no-talents that started popping up after those English mopheads somehow got on the Ed Sullivan show!
Most of those in your list are from the era of Chevy Vegas, Pintos, Citations and K cars. Oh, and Pontiac Azteks, too!
I always said that ugly car looked like it was designed by the Aztecs.

GM was so ashamed of it, that they dropped Pontiac altogether.

Lawrence Welk had great singers in your grandmother's day, and they still are great singers today. Not only lots of good talent, but how can you not like seeing all those beautiful gals.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:30 PM   #63
deetz

Amen to the revulsion of loud "50's" music. Not a fan of the "muscle car" culture either. Good car show? The curmudgeon in me just wants to see pre-WWII stockers parked on grass, with no music and no judging.
deetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:51 AM   #64
BILL WILLIAMSON

I do shows mostly for socializing & learning NEW stuff.
I pick out Guys sittin' ALONE, in their OLD YELLOW & BLACK lawn chair. "Sometimes" they're the most interesting folks.
I see a FINE finished & painted car with some small, empty "ornament" holes & say, "That one must bs a BITCH to find"???---THEN, the conversation warms up!----OR, ask them, "What was the HARDEST part to find"??
REMEMBER, whatever kind of car it is, to HIM, it's the greatest thing since PEANUT BUTTER!
Main thing is NOT to be an OPINIONATED SHIT HEAD!!
Bill Fun
Old 09-20-2017, 08:30 AM   #65
Lona

I agree with others regarding judged shows, especially when an event has such a huge variety of years and makes. People's choice awards are ok provided one guy doesn't bring his whole family and friends to vote. Went to a judged show once with both of our authentic 1931's and the trophy for the oldest car was given to a '27 T Bucket street rod. Only thing old on it was the bucket itself.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #66
George Miller

one time I had a 1929 Model A roadster at a car show. It had a fiber glass body and fenders, it looked like a real Model A. I guy came along and give me heck because it had 16" wheels.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #67
KGBnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
My favorite local show used to be The "Roaring Twenties" car show held in Southbury CT. They were very organized with all the cars parked by class and year, making viewing a pleasure. And they had a big flea market.

This year they moved their show to Bethlehem CT, and last weekend I attended with great expectations. Unfortunately I was disappointed. They did not supply windshield ID cards to show the year, make, and model of your car. And this year the parking was just a big "miss-mash". As a spectator viewing was not fun. I would not have wanted to be a judge! Imagine a museum where all their exhibits were just randomly thrown in a big room without any information, and visitors had to sort through it all themselves.
Paul,

I was at the "Roaring Twenties" show in Bethlehem as well. I didn't see you, or any of the other Model A guys I usually chat with. I was parked between a Mustang and a Fiat. My buddy and I were referring to it as a "Car Salad."

My father is 88 years old. He would always meet in Southbury and we would start at the lower fence. Together we would look at all the Model Ts and go up through all the pre-war cars. They were all in the same area. At that point, he had seen what he wanted, and was pretty worn out. He would sit and I would go off and look at the other things I was interested in. Had he joined me this year, he could not have made the hike all over that field trying to find the cars that interested him. I'm glad he didn't come.

I really like that show, and I appreciate all the work that those guys do to put it together. I hope they get it straightened out for next year.

Ken
Old 09-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #68
BILL WILLIAMSON

My BUCKET'S got a "HOLE IN IT"--LOL
Bill Stupid
Old 09-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #69
Oldbluoval

No judging.....
Allow flea market....
Agreed on no super loud music and minimal entrance fee if any.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #70
captndan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill williamson View Post
i do shows mostly for socializing & learning new stuff.
i pick out guys sittin' alone, in their old yellow & black lawn chair. "sometimes" they're the most interesting folks.
i see a fine finished & painted car with some small, empty "ornament" holes & say, "that one must bs a bitch to find"???---then, the conversation warms up!----or, ask them, "what was the hardest part to find"??
remember, whatever kind of car it is, to him, it's the greatest thing since peanut butter!
main thing is not to be an opinionated shit head!!
bill fun
here here!
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #71
Scottio57

As noted earlier the local cruise in seem to cater to the same old cars getting trophies all the time. Recently they put a limit on how many trophies one car can get to help include other cars and new comers. Now everyone can be included not just the folks with lots of money to throw at their cars. I have noticed that those same folks that always got trophies every weekend for years are now huddled together off in a corner away from the activity, pouting I suppose. They won't even come around and cheer on the same folks that cheered them on all these years. I enjoy going to the local shows and cruise ins to see the cars and talk shop with other car guys but I rarely bring one of my cars.
Scottio57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #72
wingski

Quote:
The best car show is when a small town devotes a day or a weekend to cars of all types. Fortuna, California does a womderful job. So does Troutdale, Oregon and Oregon City, Oregon. The people in these towns devote their main streets to showing cars and not playing loud music of any era. They usually have a parade on a Saturday evening and it is wonderful to see an original T or A followed by something that is outrageous like a rat rod. I saw the most beautiful car that I’ve ever seen this year at Fortuna. That ’46 Olds convertible was modified in such subtle ways that the average person wouldn’t know how many hundreds of hours of work, love, and ingenuity had went into it. The owner lives in Eureka, Ca. and put 13 years into making it what is today. If you ever get a chance to see this Olds do it. I consider it to be the equivalent of a Da Vinci painting.
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #73
P.S.

Good point about towns going all cars for a weekend. Sorta like Monterey car week? That was amazing this year.

Ready for the Ironstone Concours now. Last year, Wayne Carini was schmoozing around the patron's tent. He was very nice, and was interested in my Model A. There were also some other car related TV show celebrities schmoozing about, but I didn't know who they were until they told me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0338.jpg (90.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 09-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #74
rowens55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Wow, I do not think I would like meeting most of you on this topic,

I like a bit of 50/s music, I hate concourse check book cars, I like hot rods.
You n me pooch!! Buncha cranky old farts here!
Old 09-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #75
asapguy

Great weather makes a great car show especially here in the NW. This Sunday is the annual Snohomish Classic Car Show. They normally have 500-600 cars & close off Main St. & surrounding streets to park cars. Only 1st 150 registered can park on Main St. Yes, they do have 50's & 60's music. I've shown cars in this show for 30 yrs. & got several 1st & 2nds with the 31 68C & 35 5W cp. The last couple yrs. I've taken our 55 Chevy B/A 4dr. It's turquoise & white, 3spd. V-8 & gets lots of attention.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #76
Terry, NJ

That's what I love about Jacktown ( Blue Mountain Steam and Gas engines Assoc. Mt Bethel, Pa) NO entrance fees, no parking fees. They make their money on food and home made ice cream. But it's tractors, not cars, oh theres always a car or two around. It's a anything goes type show. The steam shed, tractor pull, miniature railway, flea market. Some C and W music with low amplification. Just a great day in the grove!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #77
Y-Blockhead

I only enter car shows with a cause. And those I don't mind paying to show my car because it is also helping the cause. Don't care about winning any plastic trophies but FREE T-Shirts are nice.
I DO wish they would charge entrance to spectators tho to increase their take... Opertunity Drawing are fun.
Our club recently entered 10 Model As in the Wounded Warrior Car Show. Had a great time with the other members. I also will be showing the Town Sedan at the Redondo Beach HS Car Show that benefits the RB PSTA.

Harbor A's @ Wounded Warrior Car Show

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 09-21-2017 at 01:15 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #78
Jeff/Illinois

Interesting thread and the songs and music! I'm 63, so anything pre-Beatles sounds weird to me, the doo-wop stuff makes me cringe Music got bad after at least 1973-'74 and the disco stuff,,,, what were they thinking?? Yes it is ALL about marketing today's singers and songs are the worst ever. Follow the $$ and you will find the answers. Of course they did that in the 60's too,,,, GM went out and bought up hundreds of thousands of copies of 'Little GTO' just to get it playing on the radio and make the Top 40 and get that exposure. To sell cars.

I too tire of the usual 'car' songs how many times can you listen to 'Little Deuce Coupe' and 'Spring Little Cobra'? (insert barf icon here) and yes the volume.... geez turn it down or turn it off my hearing is about gone anyway. The Beach Boys---- they stole their stuff from Jan and Dean anyways.

I took the '36 Ford to the first car show I've been in, in years, this summer actually had a good time I'll be back. Meeting the car people was the best part and there was a bit of everything so it was interesting. Big crowd.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:05 PM   #79
SeaSlugs

im with the others that say the 50's music needs to be toned down. ours plays it and im sick of it. most people but the club organizers tend to park far away from it or off to the side of the speakers so its bearable.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:57 AM   #80
Bill G

We really lucked out on a car show a couple weeks ago. Several blocks long with speakers up on towers at intersections. We were right at the center of a block and so the music was pretty tolerable. However a few months ago, I was at a show where there were very loud (extremely loud) mini racers on an adjacent street that was just terrible. I do not know why anyone would want to listen to that as a spectator, but it was very popular. Drove me nuts.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #81
Tom Wesenberg

Stores also think they have to play that loud crap all day long too.
I stay away from stores that play loud "music", or should I say loud noise.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #82
Jeff/Illinois

Today we hear instrumental music of The Doors and cuts from Sgt. Pepper's album in stores, elevators, and the doctor's office, wait a few years when they are blasting us with Hip Hop and all the Rap crap as the millenials take over

Thank goodness for Amazon the box stores think their retail sales are in the toilet now----------
Old 09-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #83
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
The Beach Boys---- they stole their stuff from Jan and Dean anyways.
I don't think so but looked it up to be sure. From Wiki on Jan & Dean "Playing local venues, they met and performed with the Beach Boys, and discovered the appeal of the latter's "surf sound"."
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #84
BILL WILLIAMSON

DON'T compare the OLDS to Mona Lisa, she's an UGLY broad, with a LONG nose & dirty, stuck down parted hair! She only SMILES, with computer enhancement!
Bill Artcritic
Old 09-21-2017, 09:17 PM   #85
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnut View Post
Paul,

I was at the "Roaring Twenties" show in Bethlehem as well. I didn't see you, or any of the other Model A guys I usually chat with. I was parked between a Mustang and a Fiat. My buddy and I were referring to it as a "Car Salad."

My father is 88 years old. He would always meet in Southbury and we would start at the lower fence. Together we would look at all the Model Ts and go up through all the pre-war cars. They were all in the same area. At that point, he had seen what he wanted, and was pretty worn out. He would sit and I would go off and look at the other things I was interested in. Had he joined me this year, he could not have made the hike all over that field trying to find the cars that interested him. I'm glad he didn't come.

I really like that show, and I appreciate all the work that those guys do to put it together. I hope they get it straightened out for next year.

Ken
I did not come in my model A. My friend (who is handicapped) wanted to go in his 1935 Ford 3 window coupe street rod. I went with him and unloaded/loaded his stuff from the car. I was wearing a black T-shirt with my 29 tudor on it. Click on the link below to see the video I shot:

2017 Roaring Twenties Car show

I agree addending the old Southbury show was like visiting an outdoor auto museum - a great experience! Not this year.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:22 AM   #86
KenCoupe

I've gotta put my two cents into this thread. I like going to car shows to see all the different cars, but I don't show mine. I do get a little tired of all the tri-fives and muscle cars (although I like them very much in small doses. As far as the music, I like lots of different kinds of music. I started listing when the Beatles hit America. The radio stations were still playing a lot of 50's rockabilly and do-wop and I learned to really like a lot of that (Chuck Berry's Greatest Hits was the first album I bought). I really like the 60's music - everything from Beach boys and surf/car music to Beatles, Doors, Cream, etc. I like some of the 70's music - just don't play disco around me. My parents liked swing music which I didn't like when I was younger, but I have come to like and appreciate a lot of it like Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, the Dorseys, etc. I can't stand Lawrence Welk, and yes I remember the Lennon Sisters. I just think his music is kind of "schlocky". In spite of my love of music and cars, if they play any music at a car show, I would prefer the volume to be low. I want to be able to talk to people about the cars without shouting.
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:46 PM   #87
P.S.

Hey, look.. It's my tudor sitting next to Glenn in Camino's beautiful delivery at the Ironstone Concours d'Elegance today.

My tudor got a green ribbon (second place). The stunning 29 sport coupe that won first place really deserved it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0370.jpg (130.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 09-23-2017, 08:07 PM   #88
gajeepguy

A local Ford dealership hosts our local club with a "Ford Only" show. No loud music, just Ford stories with like minded guys, lunch provided by the dealership, plus $500 to our club's kitty. This is my kind of show...... -RG
gajeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #89
caboose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I always said that ugly car looked like it was designed by the Aztecs.

Lawrence Welk had great singers in your grandmother's day, and they still are great singers today. Not only lots of good talent, but how can you not like seeing all those beautiful gals.
Some writer (Senior moments are longer now) whose name escapes me stated, "the car was so ugly that looking at it would damage your retinas".
caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:16 PM   #90
Synchro909

[QUOTE=Tom Wesenberg;1529438]I always said that ugly car looked like it was designed by the Aztecs.

That was until GM America discovered the cars we were making here. They sent some from Australia to the US and labelled them Pontiac GTO, reviving an iconic label because the car deserved it. It was by far the fastest (and safest) car by GM at the time. The GFC put an end to Pontiac and the export so all you guys who hadn't bought on yet missed out. Thousands on a longer floor pan were also sold as Police Pursuit Cars.
GM and Ford are closing up here now. GM will market stuff from Europe and Ford pretty much the same except for the POS Mustang.The car they stopped making here easily had a 5 star safety rating (the maximum) while the Mustang was lucky to score 2. They are so poorly made that you can't even put a bike rack on them, let alone a tow bar.

Last edited by Synchro909; 09-23-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:49 PM   #91
31Cabriolet68-C

Shade!!!!
31Cabriolet68-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:53 AM   #92
Bob-A

Smile Re: Car shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Cabriolet68-C View Post
Shade!!!!

I only go to the local monthly cruise-in here in Dade City, Fla. Officially the show is suppose to start around 1.00 PM. My car and I go early around 10 AM in order to get a nice "shady" parking spot. Once the rods & muscle-head cars start showing up with the prerequisite loud DJ. We pack up and head out.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #93
Corley

Sorry to admit that I gravtate toward the rat rods. I appreciate some of the interesting engineering that people have come up with. Those guys know how to do stuff, and this is their fun outlet. Most look like junk but are very safe, some actually are junk, but creative junk.

As for showing, I don't. Sitting in a lawn chair listening to some old fart showing off what he doesn't really know, with loud music blaring is something I can do all by myself, and at home I get to pick my own music.

My neighbor spends half of the weekends every summer setting up and showing one of his $110000 hotrods. When I go, I get bored after half an hour of that. Mind you, he bought them as is, doesn't know how to change a tire, so pays to have them maintained, but is the expert when talking to show viewers. Not my cup of tea at all. Rat rodders know how to do things, even if they create questionable sketchy rigs, that's part of the fun.

My model As are for driving and tours.

Just what I like, not suggesting it is for everyone!

Last edited by Corley; 04-28-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #94
rosenkranswa

I enjoy shows but prefer small local or community based shows where the fee benefits a museum, or some community organization. I'm not a fan of loud music of any sort at a show, but at moderate volume even the 50's stuff is OK. I also prefer non-judged shows, unless its a Peoples Choice or Sponsors Choice, been pleasantly surprised a few times when something other than a rod or exotic wins - even one of my cars. I love talking to people, especially the kids, and seeing a variety of cars. I'm not a rod fan, but can appreciate good workmanship when I see it. What's always bugged me, however, is the rod that is identified as a '29 Ford when there's less than 10% of a '29 Ford left.

We always set up a bit of a display around the car placing it in context and wear some period attire rather than just show the car. Never miss an opportunity to teach history since so little seems to be taught these days.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:27 AM   #95
Corley

PS. I take it all back, I DO like to try to figure out what the words are to the song "Louis Louis", often played at car shows, though I must admit that after years of trying, the only words that I understand are "Louis Louis". The rest is all just giberish to me so far, but I'll keep listening and trying to figure it out.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:51 AM   #96
KUDZUVIPER

Just for the fun of it:

Louie Louie
The Kingsmen
Louie Louie, oh no, you take me where ya gotta go, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, baby
Louie Louie, oh baby, take me where ya gotta go
A fine little girl, she waits for me
Me catch the ship across the sea
Me sailed the ship all alone
Me never think I'll make it home
Louie Louie, oh no no no, me gotta go, oh no
Louie Louie, oh baby, me gotta go
Three nights and days I sailed the sea
Me think of girl constantly
On the ship, I dream she there
I smell the rose in her hair
Louie Louie, oh no, me gotta go, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, baby
Okay, let's give it to 'em right now
Me see
Me see Jamaica, the moon above
It won't be long me see me love
Me take her in my arms and then
I tell her I'll never leave again
Louie Louie, oh no, me gotta go, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, baby
I said me gotta go now
Let's hustle on out of here
Let's go
Songwriters: Richard Berry
KUDZUVIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:07 PM   #97
Corley

Louis Louis , NO! Now you have ruined it for me!
Old 04-27-2018, 11:57 PM   #98
Chuck Sea/Tac

So have you figured it out yet. everyone is different with different likes and dislikes. Exactly like people in a club. That what makes it interesting. You can’t please everyone.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:07 AM   #99
BILL WILLIAMSON

Well, I hope ALL you GRUMPY Folks stay HOME, who wants to SEE/HEAR you???
Bill Mellow
Old 04-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #100
Jeff/Illinois

The best Model A Ford show in the Midwest that I have attended is Sharon Model A Day in Sharon, Wisconsin. Always the first Sunday in June. They draw some other pre-war antique cars too, several early V-8's and a few others.

No trophies, no fees, no bravado just a day of fun. People dressed up in 1920's attire, good chow, (Lions Club I believe it is has a nice dinner) or there are pizza places along main street or sandwiches and a nice swap meet I've bought number of items there. And the Rockford A's put on 'shows' in the middle of main Street one year 'FDR' was there he was very good There have been bank robberies and the local 'police' in a '30 Roadster swing in and in a gun duel arrest the bad guys. A live band plays era music, a newsboy in knockers walks around selling a paper,,,,, all kinds of neat stuff if you haven't been there try to make it!!

Small town atmosphere, what the Midwest is all about!
Old 04-28-2018, 06:52 PM   #101
BILL WILLIAMSON

[QUOTE=Jeff/Illinois;1623133]The best Model A Ford show in the Midwest that I have attended is Sharon Model A Day in Sharon, Wisconsin. Always the first Sunday in June. They draw some other pre-war antique cars too, several early V-8's and a few others.

No trophies, no fees, no bravado just a day of fun. People dressed up in 1920's attire, good chow, (Lions Club I believe it is has a nice dinner) or there are pizza places along main street or sandwiches and a nice swap meet I've bought number of items there. And the Rockford A's put on 'shows' in the middle of main Street one year 'FDR' was there he was very good There have been bank robberies and the local 'police' in a '30 Roadster swing in and in a gun duel arrest the bad guys. A live band plays era music, a newsboy in knockers walks around selling a paper,,,,, all kinds of neat stuff if you haven't been there try to make it!!
Jeff,
KNOCKERS are whut the GURLS EXHIBIT!!!---Oh, to be YOUNG AGAIN!!-----
Bill Watcher
Old 04-28-2018, 08:10 PM   #102
oldforder

I guess I will chime in on this subject. I started going to car shows about 10 years ago when I bought a 56 chevy 4 door, It was nice but not really show quality. First show I got a 3rd place trophy, (there were only 4 in the class). But it got me hooked. Sold it and got a 78 chevy short box C-10 that was customized. A real beauty, and almost always brought home a 1st place trophy. Then decided I wanted to join a club, and besides the street rod club, which I have never been into, there was the Mustang club. Bought a 65 coupe 6 cylinder, and have been a ford guy every since. Our club puts on a show every year ( this is the 27th annual this year). Like every other car show in a 100 mile radius, we charge admission to show your car, and spectators are free. I should take that back there a few that also charge spectator admission, but they Are all indoor winter shows. We charge $15 preregistration, and $20 day of show. This is pretty common around here. We also have many sponsors, but after we buy trophies, and door prizes, advertising, insurance, etc etc, we make very little money. I personally go to very few judged shows anymore, because I have so many trophies, I don't know what to do with them. We moved a couple years ago, and ended up with less room to display stuff, so gave away several dozen trophies to the Boy Scouts. There several show and shines that are free that I take in. A couple of the local retirement/nursing homes have show and shines each year that are great. Many of the old folks (many very little older than me) really like these old cars. I also agree that at many shows the music is WAY to loud. I do enjoy the old songs, but not so loud. I am not that hard of hearing. LOL Oh, About Lawrence Welk, As many of you may know, when he was starting out, he played all over the country at dances. Well there was a well known ballroom in a small town about 20 miles from where my folks lived, and they went there to dance quite often, Well when I was a baby, His band was playing one night and they went, but couldn't dance, because someone had to watch me. Lawrence saw this, and offered to sit with me while they danced. So I tell people that Lawrence Welk was my babysitter.
oldforder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:34 AM   #103
fuzes45

Must be talking about "The Good Sheep Club" in Colchester run by the dictator
fuzes45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:19 PM   #104
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldforder View Post
I guess I will chime in on this subject. I started going to car shows about 10 years ago when I bought a 56 chevy 4 door, It was nice but not really show quality.

First show I got a 3rd place trophy, (there were only 4 in the class). But it got me hooked. Sold it and got a 78 chevy short box C-10 that was customized. A real beauty, and almost always brought home a 1st place trophy.

Then decided I wanted to join a club, and besides the street rod club, which I have never been into, there was the Mustang club. Bought a 65 coupe 6 cylinder, and have been a ford guy every since.

Our club puts on a show every year ( this is the 27th annual this year). Like every other car show in a 100 mile radius, we charge admission to show your car, and spectators are free. I should take that back there a few that also charge spectator admission, but they Are all indoor winter shows. We charge $15 preregistration, and $20 day of show. This is pretty common around here. We also have many sponsors, but after we buy trophies, and door prizes, advertising, insurance, etc etc, we make very little money.

I personally go to very few judged shows anymore, because I have so many trophies, I don't know what to do with them. We moved a couple years ago, and ended up with less room to display stuff, so gave away several dozen trophies to the Boy Scouts. There several show and shines that are free that I take in. A couple of the local retirement/nursing homes have show and shines each year that are great. Many of the old folks (many very little older than me) really like these old cars.

I also agree that at many shows the music is WAY to loud. I do enjoy the old songs, but not so loud. I am not that hard of hearing. LOL Oh, About Lawrence Welk, As many of you may know, when he was starting out, he played all over the country at dances. Well there was a well known ballroom in a small town about 20 miles from where my folks lived, and they went there to dance quite often, Well when I was a baby, His band was playing one night and they went, but couldn't dance, because someone had to watch me. Lawrence saw this, and offered to sit with me while they danced. So I tell people that Lawrence Welk was my babysitter.
I find it easier to read long posts if they are broken up into paragraphs. Some times I copy and paste the article into a word processor and make the text bigger for my tired old eyes.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:32 PM   #105
Jeff/Illinois

[QUOTE=BILL WILLIAMSON;1623244]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
The best Model A Ford show in the Midwest that I have attended is Sharon Model A Day in Sharon, Wisconsin. Always the first Sunday in June. They draw some other pre-war antique cars too, several early V-8's and a few others.

Jeff,
KNOCKERS are whut the GURLS EXHIBIT!!!---Oh, to be YOUNG AGAIN!!-----
Bill Watcher
Bill you be right Is that why leaded gas was developed, to reduce knock(ers) and pings at summer car shows? No one wants to see a young boy in knockers I think I said that wrong!

Hey, remember the old joke about why Micheal Jackson was so excited the big sale at JC Penny? He heard the boy's jeans were half-off.