Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2017, 09:16 PM   #21
fordcragar

Default Re: How to aline the fenders with all those parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantback37 View Post
I have heard that when the 37 was built. Body men had to do work on every car. The parts made for that car fit that car. Parts from other cars had to be redone for that car.
That is one of the problems of used parts, because you don't know what has happened to that part in its lifetime. Maybe it was never damaged, but just don't want to fit the car you are putting it on. The worst words that my boss could tell me is that he got used parts for the wreck I was working on. You never got paid extra to make them fit. Sometimes even new parts didn't fit that well. After seeing some of them, they were probably production line rejects.

I had one job that had a damaged fender, so I roughed it out to straighten it. My boss stopped by and told me he bought a new fender for it and to replace it. So I took off the old fender and put the new one on, then called the boss over to look at it. The new fender had all of the bolt holes mislocated over an inch. He told me to take the new fender off and put the old one back on and straighten it. Then he sent the new fender back.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #22
slantback37

Sounds like Certi-Fit, or as we call it Sorta-Fit. This will all take time. Winters get cold here. I will pull off that fender, and the filler and reform them then hang them on the inner fender. The first time I ever had to rebuild a car. It has been a learning process. Some day I will finish it. Only been a whole bunch of years. It is my car after I retire. That should have been last March. I am still working. I have to do this body fender setup. Make a new interior, and paint it. I did everything alone. Even taking the body off the frame. When done it will be no show car, but it will be mine, and I will know every nut and bolt in the intire car.
slantback37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #23
slantback37

I have my other old grille. I think I will try to repair it myself. Does anyone know of a book on how repair was done back in the 30's. I am sure that sort of repair must have been done.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #24
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
I have my other old grille. I think I will try to repair it myself. Does anyone know of a book on how repair was done back in the 30's. I am sure that sort of repair must have been done.
For the most part grilles, trim, moldings and anything chrome plated or stainless, the operative word was 'replace', not repair.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #25
slantback37

At $1200. a pop. Either I fix either one I have, or find a good one for not a whole lot of money..
Old 09-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #26
rich b

Take a run down for the Midwest Fall Swap and a week or so later for the Roadster's Swap at the fairgrounds, lots of good parts show up, especially at Roadster's.

Last edited by rich b; 09-18-2017 at 02:13 AM. Reason: extra
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:51 PM   #27
slantback37

As normal. I have to work weekends. Even missed the 50's for the last 4 years.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:10 PM   #28
slantback37

I am rebuilding both of my grilles. Then I can choose which one fits better. Fender on passengers side has to go up and down, and back and forth to get everything to match up.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:33 PM   #29
fordcragar

This I'd just a suggestion, so if you don't think you need to I understand. I would be looking around to find someone that has a good grille and/or fenders that you could make some profile gages from. That way you would have some information that you could use to straighten what you have. Otherwise, you have no way of what you are doing, whether it is right or wrong.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:21 AM   #30
bill3337

I know what its like to have budget problems, but you're never going to make a nice job while trying to fit to that grille. On mine I had to slot the inner fender holes a bit to give me more adjustment in setting the fenders, and I had to trim the side panels to get my gaps even, but I had a NOS grille, which made everything much easier. At least I had a good starting point to work to. I have another mint original grille, but I can't let it go cheap. I have several original grille sections, one particularly good top half, but if you can find a straight original, even if a bit rusty,you'd be better off. You can repair the bars with some finesse and a tig welder. The hood to grille gap is tough even with all nice parts, but just keep fine tuning, you'll get there. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01241.jpg (46.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6031.jpg (68.3 KB, 27 views)
bill3337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:40 AM   #31
fordcragar

Maybe I misunderstood what the task is here; which is what I based my comments on. I thought that all of the parts had an unknown lineage, in other words they might not all be perfect pieces. If this is true, then if all of the parts aren't completely correct (twisted, bent, or otherwise not straight), what part do you use to start the fitting process with? That is why I suggested finding some pieces that you could make profile gages from; which would give you the openings, contours and other information that you'll need to straighten and fit the other pieces to.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #32
slantback37

I guess you just have to keep plugging along. If I could afford all of the new stuff.. What fun would that be. This is a learning process. I have been working a little every year on this car since 1993. Not done yet. I am using the grill that looked the most like the original one does. I have a long rib gone, and a couple that are just to hard to fix. I bought a small sheet of 22 Gauge sheet metal, and made a jig from a oak board. I ran the board threw the table saw, and cut my metal about 1/16" wider. I have a steel ruler that matches almost perfect to the rib. Then put the metal on top of the jig, and start pounding. I made my own rib. Question now is.. How do I tack it down. I have a wire feed, but the lowest setting says 16-18 Ga. I have 22 Gauge ribs. Would a soldering iron work?? I have lots of solder.. The ribs that were put on before were with a spot welder.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #33
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
I guess you just have to keep plugging along. If I could afford all of the new stuff.. What fun would that be. This is a learning process. I have been working a little every year on this car since 1993. Not done yet. I am using the grill that looked the most like the original one does. I have a long rib gone, and a couple that are just to hard to fix. I bought a small sheet of 22 Gauge sheet metal, and made a jig from a oak board. I ran the board threw the table saw, and cut my metal about 1/16" wider. I have a steel ruler that matches almost perfect to the rib. Then put the metal on top of the jig, and start pounding. I made my own rib. Question now is.. How do I tack it down. I have a wire feed, but the lowest setting says 16-18 Ga. I have 22 Gauge ribs. Would a soldering iron work?? I have lots of solder.. The ribs that were put on before were with a spot welder.
Seeing that you can make a rib, make another partial rib just to set up a dummy grille assy. This can be used to perfect a weld procedure using copper sheet as a backup/heat sink. Flattened copper pipe works.
As to soldering I would prefer silver solder or brazing.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:57 PM   #34
petehoovie

Quote:
I'm having a hard time interpreting the terminology you're using in the PM you sent me. I've attached some pictures that may be of help to you....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '37 Grille Attachment 001.JPG (101.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg '37 Grille Attachment 002.JPG (106.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg '37 Grille Attachment 004.JPG (90.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg '37 Grille Attachment 005.JPG (83.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg '37 Grille Attachment 003.JPG (116.0 KB, 33 views)

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #35
slantback37

I need to only replace 2 maybe 3 ribs at the most. I bought some solder tonight. 60-40 acid core. Though if you think silver solder would be better.. I will get some tomorrow after work..
Old 09-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #36
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
I need to only replace 2 maybe 3 ribs at the most. I bought some solder tonight. 60-40 acid core. Though if you think silver solder would be better.. I will get some tomorrow after work..
The silver solder that I am referring to is not the stuff used for soldering house plumbing.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #37
slantback37

Thanks. The photos are helpful. I have a aftermarket aluminum radiator, and it sits different than the original.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:47 PM   #38
slantback37

I wanted to know what it measured across in order to see how much difference there was between the two grilles I have. The older looking rusty one that I have to replace the ribs on measures right on to your original.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #39
slantback37

I had the grille out, and measured everything up, and lifted the front, and slid it around and got things to fit pretty good. Then I clamped in the grille. Nothing matches up now. I am going to take off the passengers fender, and pound out ripples along the edge. I also have to make a support to hold the inner fender more towards the engine. The fender wants to kind of slope out. I have no idea where everything goes. My avatar shows the car when I bought it.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #40
slantback37

The car when I bought it..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00001-1.JPG (59.9 KB, 22 views)