Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2022, 11:14 AM   #1
sprint29

Default Painting a 36 pickup bed.

I'm trying to go back as original as possible. How much of the pickup bed was together before it was painted? I still have to put the wood down and then the metal pan on top of that. Was wondering how Henry did it.
Thanks
Mark
sprint29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 11:52 AM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: Painting a 36 pickup bed.

On my truck there was some overspray on the underside of the bed wood, but I have no way of telling when or how it got there. I would think the bed was painted before the wooden sub floor was put in place. I was not quite old enough to have been working on the line when these trucks being built, however.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 03:56 PM   #3
Steve Seidl

I agree with lawson.Metal painted before under layment of wood.
Steve Seidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 05:19 PM   #4
sprint29

Then is it painted again after the metal pan is placed on top of the wood and riveted to the sides? I'm sure I'll skin everything up getting the top pan in place.
sprint29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 07:18 PM   #5
Newc

Yes the steel pan is riveted in place and then painted. The pan and rivets end up truck color. The only way to have bed/truck color on the fasteners is to paint after Final assembly. Right? Newc

Last edited by Newc; 12-29-2022 at 04:10 PM.
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 06:45 AM   #6
highbeams

I had a '40 half-ton in 1960, a '40 half-ton in '65, a '38 half-ton in 1968, a '36 half-ton in in 2001. The metal bed floors were SPOTWELDED to the pickup bed sides at the Ford ass'y line, apparently.

If you want original, it would have to be spotwelded. Thank you.

Last edited by highbeams; 12-29-2022 at 07:09 AM. Reason: clarify.
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 12:48 PM   #7
OldGold360

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbeams View Post
I had a '40 half-ton in 1960, a '40 half-ton in '65, a '38 half-ton in 1968, a '36 half-ton in in 2001. The metal bed floors were SPOTWELDED to the pickup bed sides at the Ford ass'y line, apparently.

If you want original, it would have to be spotwelded. Thank you.
This is not the case for at least the 35-36 pickups. The metal bed floor was fastened only by rivets to the bedsides. At least on the 35 and 36 beds I have disassembled. I have found that the stake pockets are both riveted and spot welded to the bedsides.
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:06 PM   #8
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGold360 View Post
This is not the case for at least the 35-36 pickups. The metal bed floor was fastened only by rivets to the bedsides. At least on the 35 and 36 beds I have disassembled. I have found that the stake pockets are both riveted and spot welded to the bedsides.
Thank you! Obviously, I didn't take the time to glare at the '36; just assuming because all those other half-tons were spot-welded.

(my '36 was a Ford Dealer Demo.)

Decades ago when I viewed the photo ad in the Early Ford V8 ads and saw a spare on the driver side with the bed on the ground/high grass, I phoned the Missouri-Arkansas area seller to provide all-around pics.

He provided a paint-patina'd Ford green full- front pic w/excellent grill, two w-wipers, chrome windshield surround! 1957 Calif plates, typical passenger-side spare with bed on the ground/high grass, dentless paint-patina'd Ford green passenger-side fender, chromed rear bumper off, on the ground/high grass. hmmmm!

"How long have you had this half-ton?"
"Oh, I dunnow; been around here since I know."
"Does it run?"
"Yeah, all's did."
"Price?"
"Fifteen."
How about 12,000"
"Gotta have fifteen."
"I'll take it! Bank-to-bank funds will be transferred upon a national transport company there to pick it up."
(Speaking w/ the transport driver= I'm here, he's got his check, truck is being loaded as we speak.")

*The truck arrives; passenger front fender flat as a pancake from a broadside. Other'n that, the entire truck is dentless including the box, AND box metal floor=dentless, paint scratches. The gas gauges= '36 car gauges(apparently, being a demo.)
The dealer demos being sent to Ford dealers from Ford on dealer request with full payment. (bright yellow w/black fenders for demo purposes. During the year's demos, the odd color would attract onlookers and potential dealer customers.)

Ford-to-dealer instructions: Demo the YELLOW demo for the year or until it's sold. Upon being sold, the customer-buyer receives the truck with a Ford color of his choice.

hmmm. I scratched a 1" scratch, low, on the back of the cab& facing the box-back.

YELLOW!

*the half-ton is east of here 150 mi on California uncluttered roads.

Thank you -
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:48 PM   #9
Jeff/Illinois

highbeams that is cheap for a solid '35-'36 Ford pickup (commercial car) you got a good deal

I've watched cobbled up ones , and unrestored not running ones, sell in the upper 30's all day long.

Chip Miller's '36 pickup, the Carlisle dude, sold at auction this fall for around $34K if I recall correctly. It was a nice driver but actually needs a full restoration.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 09:18 AM   #10
Model51

A couple of comments regarding 1936 Ford Demonstrator vehicles. The standard 1936 Ford Demonstrator colors were Demonstrator Yellow and Dearborn Blue. Yellow was the base color with the fenders, running boards, belt line, grille bars and lettering all painted blue. The standard scheme included the word DEMONSTRATOR across the cab above the windshield. Not only did Ford create a Demonstrator model for pickups and big trucks, in 1936 they also had a Demonstrator scheme for the panel delivery and sedan delivery. I've never seen an original of either of these vehicles, but have a series of photos from the Ford archives showing all sides of these vehicles. Having a restored sedan delivery or panel delivery in demonstrator colors and lettering would be quite a sight to see.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 09:24 AM   #11
Model51

Attached are some of the images of 1936 demonstrator trucks for your enjoyment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1936 Demonstrator Pickup 1.jpg (57.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 1936 Demonstrator Pickup 2.jpg (63.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 1936 Demonstrator Pickup 3.jpg (55.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 1936 Demonstrator Sedan Delivery 1.jpg (74.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 1936 Demonstrator Sedan Delivery 2.jpg (69.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1936 Demonstrator Sedan Delivery 3.jpg (66.8 KB, 11 views)
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 10:01 AM   #12
34fivewindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model51 View Post
Attached are some of the images of 1936 demonstrator trucks for your enjoyment.

Here is another one.

34fivewindow is offline   Reply With Quote