Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2023, 04:41 PM   #1
Gold Digger

Default Reports on Burtz new engines

Wondering if the new Burtz engines were holding up as planed. What are the drawbacks if there is any? What's the fuel mileage with the orginal type zenith carb? Is there much vibration? Is there a lot more power with the Burtz head and cam? Has there been any disasters?
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 04:56 PM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: Reports on Burtz new engines

You should join the Facebook group and ask there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1123377268114692
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 06:21 PM   #3
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
You should join the Facebook group and ask there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1123377268114692
What if you don't have or intend to never have a facebook account?
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 06:30 PM   #4
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelA29 View Post
What if you don't have or intend to never have a facebook account?

Then… don’t?
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 09:11 PM   #5
rotorwrench

There was some posting that got somewhat negative but did not seem to reflect a negative outcome for the kit or kits involved. Due to this, some folks hesitate to bring up the subject on here. I've not read any evidence other than normal function for these engines before or since. Do a search if you want but I prefer not to state anything further about that situation.

The engine is a modernized version of the original basic design and as such, it has performed better than OEM in this respect. There have been no major complaints by owners and operators so far that l'm aware of.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 07:06 AM   #6
nkaminar

Mine is working well. I just did a 400 mile trip in one day and will do the return tomorrow. I replaced the Snyder head with the Burtz head at about 1,500 miles and the honing marks in he cylinders were still visible. I am using the standard pistons and rings from Snyders. Rumors of a soft block are false. I had to do some of the trip on the interstate at 65 mph. I have an overdrive. Back roads are 55 mph. I like that a lot better.

I am not on Face Book or any other social network. Well, I am on Link In for business reasons but am not active. I am about to remove myself from there as I am retired. Why? I value my privacy and am very paranoid about the internet. When available, I will refuse a computer implant in my brain.

Update: Back home. 901 miles total, all except about 5 miles were the trip up there and the trip back. One day each way. No complaints.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 05-22-2023 at 07:54 AM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:58 AM   #7
Ryan
Administrator

So there's a lot of drama here... you gotta YouTuber saying he had a bad experience and a manufacturer saying his experience wasn't honest. And they argue every time the subject comes up.

I am not interested in hosting that argument.

So feel free to post your own experience, but lets leave that other crap in the past.

Thanks fellas.
Old 05-22-2023, 07:26 PM   #8
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
So there's a lot of drama here... you gotta YouTuber saying he had a bad experience and a manufacturer saying his experience wasn't honest. And they argue every time the subject comes up.

I am not interested in hosting that argument.

So feel free to post your own experience, but lets leave that other crap in the past.

Thanks fellas.
Thanks Ryan.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:11 PM   #9
ampico-kid

Just wanted to chime in. I had a Burtz engine installed in my 30 Town Sedan a few months ago. I also had the touring cam, lighter flywheel, and the high compression head installed. The engine has performed flawlessly. It has a very healthy power increase over the original engine, but still has that classic Model A engine look and sound. The other thing I notice is the lack of vibration in the steering wheel. I also have a 30 Coupe, and the rebuilt original engine in that car has about 32K miles on it. The vibration in the steering wheel of the Coupe is at times hand numbing. I also notice that the Burtz engine will drop down to an idle quite fast when you step on the clutch, I guess due to the lighter flywheel. Overall I think the Burtz engine has all of the advantages of the original Model A engine (the look and the sound), but with the added benefits of a modern undated engine. I'd definitely give it a five star rating out of five.
ampico-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:46 PM   #10
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampico-kid View Post
Just wanted to chime in. I had a Burtz engine installed in my 30 Town Sedan a few months ago. I also had the touring cam, lighter flywheel, and the high compression head installed. The engine has performed flawlessly. It has a very healthy power increase over the original engine, but still has that classic Model A engine look and sound. The other thing I notice is the lack of vibration in the steering wheel. I also have a 30 Coupe, and the rebuilt original engine in that car has about 32K miles on it. The vibration in the steering wheel of the Coupe is at times hand numbing. I also notice that the Burtz engine will drop down to an idle quite fast when you step on the clutch, I guess due to the lighter flywheel. Overall I think the Burtz engine has all of the advantages of the original Model A engine (the look and the sound), but with the added benefits of a modern undated engine. I'd definitely give it a five star rating out of five.
I think the sound comes from a 4 cylinder engine combined with a stock muffler. Years ago someone stopped by my house with a very stock looking Model A. The sound was right on. Then he showed me under the hood. It had a 4 cylinder Chevy II engine that was connected to a stock muffler.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:02 AM   #11
nkaminar

When I was a teenager and in my 20's I loved the sound of my Model A. Now that I am approaching 80 my hearing is mostly gone and even with the stock exhaust system I cannot hear the sound I remember. Go figure.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:50 AM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
When I was a teenager and in my 20's I loved the sound of my Model A. Now that I am approaching 80 my hearing is mostly gone and even with the stock exhaust system I cannot hear the sound I remember. Go figure.
Too funny Neil, and FWIW I think most people's opinion of what an original Model-A sounds like is not even correct. Many people used the Midas manufactured reproduction exhaust system during the 60s thru the 80s and they were different sounding. Even the Aries muffler compared to an original Ford-supplied exhaust has a slight sound difference, ...and the sound is even more skewed on today's engines because most engines that we have today have compression increases. A 5½:1 or 6:1 compression ratio head changes the sound over a 4¾:1 stock compression ratio. For the ones that don't believe me, be a spectator at a national event during Start & Idle, -or at the beginning of the Mandatory Tour and have a listen to the cars that are using an original Ford exhaust and have stock compression.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:18 AM   #13
rotorwrench

The "Sound" of an engine is the product of it's design. The firing order is part of that design. The ability to manually control the spark advance also affects the sound emitted. The exhaust design is a given that it affects the sound. This brings back the memory of the time when Harley Davidson was trying to copyright the sound of their engine.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:40 AM   #14
Flathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The "Sound" of an engine is the product of it's design. The firing order is part of that design. The ability to manually control the spark advance also affects the sound emitted. The exhaust design is a given that it affects the sound. This brings back the memory of the time when Harley Davidson was trying to copyright the sound of their engine.
Everybody knows the Harley sound but other companies have deemed the fork and blade uneven firing single pin crankshaft as antiquated crap. Maybe so but that is your sound.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 10:35 AM   #15
JayJay

I'm building up a Burtz engine with his cam, flywheel, and high compression head. I'll likely use a Leonard Nettles oil pump, but plan the rest of the internals to be pretty much stock. I will initially use the standard manifolds and Zenith carb, but am seriously considering upgrading to a Weber and possibly a header down thee road after I get it running satisfactorily.

Is it worth going the extra to an Aries "high performance" muffler over the stock? If any of you fine folks have the Aries "high performance" muffler, how much louder over stock is it?

Any recommendations for timing gear, since that seems to be a weak point that would logically be even more vulnerable with the increased hp?

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 05:05 PM   #16
Smokedtires

Jayjay, all good questions. Maybe you should start another post so the answers don't get lost in the mix.
Smokedtires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 09:34 PM   #17
GeneBob

JayJay,
Go to the Aries website and read the descriptions. Their high performance muffler is recommended for 80hp and up. Then go to the Piranios website to see what your changes will produce by comparing to the published dyno runs. I think your changes will keep you in the stock Aries muffler but do compare so you are sure. I don't know if you would be happy with the sound of the HP muffler on your combination. I have never heard the HP muffler so I truly don't know.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:26 PM   #18
AzBob

The instructions that came with my Aries High Performance Muffler states "Not to be used on stock or modified engines under 60 hp." I have 6:1 head, Weber carb, cast iron header, IB330 cam that gets my engine in that range.

Personally, I think the Aries HP Muffler is too quiet. I liked the sound of my old rusty muffler better.
AzBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 09:03 AM   #19
Johnnya101

I'm in the facebook group, all good things. Very smooth running, powerful, engines. No complaints yet.

One day...
Johnnya101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 06:04 AM   #20
jack backer
BANNED

Put a header and resonator on, it sounds like an Offy when you roll it on. I went with the five bearing cam on mine, with an eventual upgrade to a Serr OHV head.. Burtz built to a 150 horse standard, but he nodded at 200hp..insanity with a stock chassis in my opinion.
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote