Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2019, 09:30 PM   #1
pinball73

Default Stearing sector problems

Ok guys & gals! some time I put a post on hear about too much slack or play in the center going down the road. I finally got time to take it apart & this is what I find! to start with it is a seven tooth sector in a 1929 two door sedan. I have replaced the cross shaft, the worm gear & the bushings top & bottom. it should be a good sector, right? after tearing it down I find I have slack between the worm gear & the cross shaft. it can not be adjuster out with the adjustment screw on the removable cover. hear is what is blowing my mind! what ever is left of it. after close inspection I find the worm gear teeth are bottoming out on the cross shaft gear. after some work with a caliper & mike I find that the teeth on the cross shaft are just about .2000 taller than they are on the old gear I replaced & not as wide at the base of the teeth. have I just bought one or two bad gears & installed them? they were new from Snyders when they were installed. this one has really got my goat! any body had a problem like this or is it just my good luck.
pinball73 is offline   Reply With Quote