Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
DaMoonDogie

Angry Horn button 50 ford car

I need help. Need to remove and replace the Horn Button from the Horn Ring on my 50 Ford Sedan. Not the horn ring but the horn button inside the ring.

I belong to the 32-53 Flathead Ford site also but no one there could help but someone recommended that this site may have someone that might know.

Also, I need an intake and exhaust manifold for a 50 ford 226 six cylinder engine. Also inlet pipe (one that goes from the exhaust manifold to the muffler. Anyone know where I can find these?
DaMoonDogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Horn button 50 ford car

I believe what you have there is a wire that runs inside the steering shaft and is terminated with a contact mounted on a spring loaded collar that sits at the very top of the steering shaft. If the wire goes bad, the horn will sound continuously and must be disconnected at the bullet connector south of the steering gearbox. The reason for this is that the horn wire is the ground (+) connection that is being switched on by coming in contact with chassis ground via depressing the horn button/ring. The battery (-) is supplied to the horns via the horn relay.
Thus, if the horn does NOT sound when you depress the horn button, the wire is probably good, but there may be a dirty/greasy or faulty connection at the bullet connector below the gearbox or a faulty or unclean connection at the horn relay, or perhaps the horn relay is bad.
Check to see if you do have juice at the big yellow wire coming into the horn relay. You can jumper a little 6volt light bulb at the relay to see if the relay lights the bulb. If it does, the relay is good. The horns themselves might be shot or the electrical connections too rusty.
Check the horns by connecting a jumper wire direct from the battery to the horn terminal. If the horn does not sound, clean the horn terminal down to bare metal and clean the mounting surfaces. Try the jumper again. If the horn does not sound, it is probably shot.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:07 AM   #3
JeffB2

You should probably check in here,should be able to find all you need:http://www.shoeboxford.com/
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
DaMoonDogie

Thanks, apparently I was not clear about my problem. There is nothing wrong with my horn it works fine.

I have removed the horn ring and can't figure out how to replace the Horn Button (Emblem) from the Horn ring. I bought a new horn button emblem and can't figure out how to remove the old one. Since they sell new ones there has to be a way to remove the old one in order to replace it.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
54vicky

I think if you look at the ring with 3 ears on it this is what locks horn ring to steering wheel.you will I think find 3 screws spaced an equal distance apart.undo these be careful as there are a few pieces under the plate.by removing the screws you will be able to lift the parts out emblem will now be uncovered.it may be stuck to wheel(age and dirt etc)you may also find a black goo on it this is what is what is left of a foam that held button to keep from rattling foam weather stripping cut to fit will work if melted (1/4''thick)hope this makes sense and helps
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:56 PM   #6
DaMoonDogie

Well I've tried everything and horn button emblem just won't come out. Bought this horn ring from a guy in Canada and its super nice and button looks new but wrong color for my 50 ford. Shame to destroy it but looks like only way to get it off is to bust it up and take it out in pieces.