Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
stangblue

Default Wheel Bearing Grease

What manufacture make a good thick wheel bearing grease for early 34 Fords being that the seals are not that tight around the spindles shafts and red grease will fling onto brake linings.( I remember wheel bearing grease that had fibers in them way back)
stangblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
peewee2you

Default Re: Wheel Bearing Grease

Used on my 47, works good.
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Ford46

peewee2you has it right, SL3131 can be purchased or ordered though NAPA. Although other pasts houses may also carry it. LouB.
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
paul2748

I always use wheel bearing grease designed for disc brakes even if I don't have discs. It is supposed to be able to handle heat better. Any major brand should be okay.

Remember grease that was used back in the day is not always the best with the newer formulations out now.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
stangblue

Thanks I'll stop by my local Napa dealer and pick up a tub.
stangblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
Jerry Parr WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
I always use wheel bearing grease designed for disc brakes even if I don't have discs. It is supposed to be able to handle heat better. Any major brand should be okay.

Remember grease that was used back in the day is not always the best with the newer formulations out now.
I've heard the old fiber type and the modern type are not compatible and should not be mixed. Both work.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
WHITEY

I use a Bel-Ray waterproof blue grease for almost everything...its comes in a tub from moto stores.

Ive used this on eveything that needed greased, whether enduro,farm/shop, or car related and never seen premature ware on anyparts.
WHITEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post

This may be true in a lot of areas like engine oil or even grease for the front wheel bearings but not so much for the rear drum brake roller bearings. A few years ago several articles in the Early Ford V8 Times addressed this,initially the wrong way,especially the guy who always promotes Amsoil. A few people followed up and used synthetic grease for the the rear rollers and found gray metal later on when checking. The synthetic might work good for close tolerance bearings but worked not so good on the rollers they simply slid around bearing surface on axle housing wiping grease off and wearing into the not so hard surface. In these two bearings you need to use the old fashioned fiber grease that will be picked up and keep all the rollers turning or at least changing position. I use the CRC 3131 as mentioned before,also I always use Genuine Ford roller bearings if not NOS from a used known low mileage part. Not everything new is better tech,the new ones were failing awhile back also ruining housings.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
Clem Clement

I'm hearing that in our old bearings and very heat conductive wheels the new greaase doesn't get hot enough to function properly.
clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
38 coupe

Another thing to be aware of on greases: most modern wheel bearing greases have sulfur compounds. This is no problem in a well sealed area. However, there is a big problem in bearing applications like our rear wheel bearings where moisture can get in. When moisture is introduced some of the sulfur compounds break down and the sulfur combines with the water to form sulfuric acid. I always use a calcium complex grease. These are sold as boat trailer wheel bearing greases.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
oldford2

I use the Sta Lube grease for the rear roller bearings only. Use modern bearing grease for the front ball bearings. I don't believe Sta Lube is recommended for ball bearings. John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
Ed Solari

I am using the Sta-lub Hi-Temp Disc Brake & Bearing grease SL3160 ... it contains anti rust and oxidation additives and is more resistive to water ... higher temp specs ... probably an over kill but if I have to put something new in my rebuild I choose to overkill. BE SURE TO REMOVE ALL PREVIOUS GREASE IF YOU SWITCH...THE BASE IF THIS GREASE IS NOT SODIUM OR LITHIUM AS IS OLDER GRREASES

For the links and brake levers etc I am using a premium red grease Sta-Lube SL3190 ... made to operate under extreme pressure (drag link). It is also made to resist water washout .. it is lithium based ... again probably an overkill but why not
Ed Solari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
Frank Miller

The synthetic might work good for close tolerance bearings but worked not so good on the rollers they simply slid around bearing surface on axle housing wiping grease off and wearing into the not so hard surface.

I have a problem comprehending this as you are saying there is not adequate friction with the grease when it is the greases job to reduce friction. also the comment about the grease not getting hot enough. If the grease is not doing its job it will get hot enough and then some. I am not sure about wheel bearings but I know you can cause overheating in pump bearings from there being too much grease. I think you may find a lot of misinformation out there. Make sure your grease is free of contamination and that the bearings are clean. Just my opinion.