Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #21
Barry B./ Ma.

Default Re: How to promote EARLY FORD V/8 INTEREST

Early V-8 Fords have turned into high priced relics, that's why I can't afford them. Through the years I've owned at least 6 flathead Fords or Mercurys and now wouldn't be able to afford to buy one back, that's why I went to Model A's. Most kids today treat cars like we treat refrigerators so don't expect them to be sinking their hard earned $ into a vintage Ford. Many more technical distractions are available.

P.S. Chuck, I love your 39 Std. tudor
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #22
Django

I'm in a similar boat to Zach on my cabriolet, as a pre-war custom. That's a good idea on the X year window for modifications.

We're taking the stock AND the modified '36s to the Auburn show. The coupes we will just tool around in. Since it's the anniversary, we're trying to take all that are practical. Drive the 5 window and the 4 door, but trailer the cabriolet since we will be cutting it so close. We'll have to find an additional driver for the 3 window, but damn that will be alot of gas for the whole trip! It will be my cousin's and my first time as members, so we'll see how we are received.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #23
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone 34 3w View Post
The way I see it is if the interest in early Fords drop, thats not terrible because that means they become easier to buy. If the interest goes up, they become too difficult to buy ,but are good investment to those that have them. I try to do my share in showing Early Fords to the youth and even offer them to drive my 34s. I am confident that these cars will always be sought after.
I agree, early Ford V-8s will always be poplular and if the interest in them is down, then the early V-8 cars will be less expensive. The problem addressed by the thread, the dearth of young people becoming enthusiasts, is even worse for Model A guys. There is not too much interest in bone stock Model A cars by the younger crowd (I love them) and many of those who own them are older than Jack Benny. Some Model A guys have two, three and even four Model A cars. When these older enthusiasts start dying, there will be a glut of Model A cars out there for sale. They are pretty inexpensive now.

TM
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #24
chuck stevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. View Post
Early V-8 Fords have turned into high priced relics, that's why I can't afford them. Through the years I've owned at least 6 flathead Fords or Mercurys and now wouldn't be able to afford to buy one back, that's why I went to Model A's. Most kids today treat cars like we treat refrigerators so don't expect them to be sinking their hard earned $ into a vintage Ford. Many more technical distractions are available.

P.S. Chuck, I love your 39 Std. tudor

Thanks Barry, I have had that one since I was in my 20's. It's bone stock, restored in the 80's and needs it again, but not by me! We drive it every chance we get.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #25
chuck stevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Hi Chuck, were those photos from last years "Barner's" New England Tour? Vic

Yes Vic, Chuck l.'s 41 pick-em up, my 47, and John's 35. I can't tell you how much fun we had, the best part no one got mad. We were together for three days and no problems, just a lot of laughs. Here's some more pic's.
I hope we get a smoky mountain tour together this fall, the memories last for ever.
That rusty piece of junk is a Chevrolet, a very ambitious restoration project. O yea I droped the radiator off yesterday for a cleaning, thanks Chuck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (84.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (93.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (93.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 AM   #26
Vic Piano

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
Yes Vic, Chuck l.'s 41 pick-em up, my 47, and John's 35. I can't tell you how much fun we had, the best part no one got mad. We were together for three days and no problems, just a lot of laughs. Here's some more pic's.
I hope we get a smoky mountain tour together this fall, the memories last for ever.
That rusty piece of junk is a Chevrolet, a very ambitious restoration project. O yea I droped the radiator off yesterday for a cleaning, thanks Chuck.
Hi Chuck, I hope that radiator works for you. I also would like to see a Smoky Mountain Tour come together. I'm planning on driving our '39 CS up to Dawsonville, GA in October for the Moonshine Festival, that would make an excellent "Barner's" tour and it's located at the end of the Smoky Mountains, lots of winding roads and colorful scenery, not to mention a super car show. Vic
Old 04-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #27
John Kennedy

Best way to promote interest? DRIVE EM!
Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #28
John Kennedy

This headline just in from MSNBC...

Babies born with flat heads on the rise in Texas
Old 04-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #29
WHITEY

Im 35, and know how fortunate I was to grow up with a grandfather who was into Ts, As, and EFV8s. Basicially he let ride the old 8n while he worked, wrench on the mowers, ride dirt bikes, the kids had a model a beater for the fields .I always looked at old fords as just something else that ran, and we got to take them out, to the fair, icecream,etc and have fun with them. Yes, some cars were not driven much, due to being rarer than others and kept seperate, but most were driven . Being exposed to the Fords defininltely taught me the "You" could fix your own stuff. Also taught me at an early age what maintaince was.

If your asking how to keep your grandkids interested in Ts, As, and EFV8s, for life... all I can say is get them interested in things that run, (yes...on gasoline). Build a vintage go-kart or minibike project with them while on summer vacation.Get them some good tools, Do your oil changes and maintaince in the same garages with the Ts, As, and EFV8,s it will have a huge impact on them, and hopefully spark a lasting interest.
WHITEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #30
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennedy View Post
Best way to promote interest? DRIVE EM!
Driving them always seems to draw attention to the cars. The faces pushed up against the glass as they pass by, or get passed by! Half the time it's adults cranking their necks and pointing too.

Will that get them into flatheads engines? I think you have to be interested in history and machines to really want to drive a flathead. Do they have classes that take field trips anymore? I don't know. Do they even teach history in school any more
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #31
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
Chuck, that was a fun filled tour through VT and NH last summer. I really enjoyed that one. Put about six hundred miles on the '35 and was able to keep up with the bigger boys thanks to those 750x16's on the back. They did keep the revs down some on that little 221
I'm doing some homework now on putting a Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive/Smokey Mt. Tour together for this October. I have a huge pile of literature accumulated so far. Will sort through all of that and let you and others know what I come up with.

A few more NE tour pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Mt Washington, NH (4).jpg (51.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Barners on Mt Washington.jpg (27.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Henry Bridge (5).jpg (80.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 (2).JPG (155.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 @ Ol Rons.JPG (216.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Henry Bridge (2).jpg (90.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Chuck Vapor Locked (2).JPG (177.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 @ Ol Rons (3).JPG (154.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Battle of Bennington Monument.jpg (59.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Bennington Monument.JPG (208.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Going to Cabot.jpg (78.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 @ Ol Rons (2).jpg (71.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Henry Bridge (8).jpg (69.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Chuck Vapor Locked.JPG (140.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Glass artist at work.JPG (149.8 KB, 21 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #32
sp1ke

So I see that most of you think driving them is the answer so I guess late next spring and summer I will see alot of you on the road as I make my way west then nort and back east again. Be sure to wave or say HI o"kay.

sp1ke
Old 04-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #33
chuck stevens

John,
If you want help with the fall tour just call out, Bill and I have some experience. I loved the pictures, if that doesn't spark interest in old fords I don't know what would.
Thanks Chuck
Old 04-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #34
Vic Piano

Hi John, Let me know as well, if you want some assistance setting up the tour. I'm planning on going to the Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, Ga. October 21st to 23rd. That might make a good location for the tour as the surrounding area is at the foot of the Smoky Mountains. Vic
Old 04-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #35
hombres ruin

My. Club has three flatheads in it, we are all under 35.we live and breath old fords and the flathead . Don't worry fellas the younger gen is not dead or disinterested in flatheads or fords we are out there alive and well
Old 04-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #36
WHITEY

"Huuuuuuuuush your mouth"....Mr.Ruin...HUSH IT!!!!

Dont listen to him grey beards...

No young guys know how EFV8,s can be Durable, Dependable, and Driven, when built and maintained correctly...

Once coupe is spinning those zephyrs....

Ill be looking for a late 30,s, stock, EFV8 truck to use as a daily.

That new england run looked like a blast to do....

Last edited by WHITEY; 04-12-2011 at 08:10 AM.
WHITEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #37
JM 35 Sedan

It was a blast Whitey. Get that coupe spinnin' those zephyrs before this October and join us for an Eastern Mountain Barner's Bash Tour in late October 2011. Stay tuned for more info/details to be posted here and on the Chevy Barn. Any type/make of vehicle will be welcome to join in on this tour but we are hoping for as many old vehicles as possible. You may actually see more posted about this tour on the Chevy Barn because our highly skilled professional promotions manager (Vic Piano) posts more there than here. Get those cars out and drive 'em in 2011. Invite some youngin's along and let them do some of the driving to get them more interested in these old cars.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 04-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #38
Cecil/WV

Is that what we are calling it?
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #39
JM 35 Sedan

I don't know Cecil, I just made that name up as I typed the post. What do you think? I'm going to need lots of help putting this together. Should be a good run for your '50 with its rebuilt engine

Old 04-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #40
Vic Piano

John, you give me too much credit but thanks, I appreciate it. Have you given any thought to holding the event to coincide with the Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, GA, October 21st to the 23rd? Vic