Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2023, 10:44 PM   #1
cas3

Default Hoarding junk parts.

I'd like to blame it on my mother, no common sense taught, but really, she was a good woman and apparently I didnt listen. Lots, and lots of parts here I have drug home for the last 50 years from every imaginable source, Yup...its old...bring it home. But...then when I want to actually use anything, its the worn out bent up junk every one else left behind.

The project is, I have a hankerin to put 35 brakes on the front of my model A. I have all the parts, so why not? Been driving the car for years with pretty much no brakes.
First, I bring in a nice set of drums and backing plates with new shoes given to me by a friend who was going to hydraulics. Such a deal ! Well, the drums are 140 over size. everything all painted, new shoes, freshly turned...but 140 over.

Well, thats not a problem, I'm a cool guy with lots of parts, so pick out some better ones.
1st, plow a path thru the snow to get at two 35 axles that had been on home made trailers, now frozen in the dirt. Usually, in my experience trailer axles have the brake shoes removed, but not so lucky here.
They were backed off, but still years of the swamp swelled up the linings to be stuck. Major battle for a day ana half with all the most violent tools, air chisel, big hammers etc, finally took the anchor bolt out to get some clearance, but still a fight.

End result, all are gross looking, two are at about .040, but I doubt they will clean up in spec. More searching in the buildings resulted in 3 more worn out drums. Those keeping track, I now have 9 drums on the floor leaking old liquid grease, about 3 days in, and probably have achieved nothing.

For the 35 guys, Brian? JM ? Whats up with the painted backing plate that has the anchor bolt welded in place, unlike all the rest I have where the bolt has a nut on the outside. Note the yellow paint underline.

Also of interest, I have always thought all mechanical brakes get woven shoes. The drawings in my orange 37 chassis book clearly look like woven shoes to 37 anyway, and yet all the drums I pulled here have had molded shoes. bad pics here, maybe Pete can help. Nice lookin shoes in the vise, huh?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 80984564-6D18-4D1B-BEDD-994AAF55AE5B.jpeg (127.1 KB, 911 views)
File Type: jpeg 0B4AF951-BECC-47A9-8B84-86FA9B3B392D.jpeg (127.3 KB, 991 views)
File Type: jpeg 4E739277-6DE0-4A6D-8628-EFC40D1ABBC2.jpeg (131.7 KB, 192 views)
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:01 PM   #2
neilp

Default Re: Hoarding junk parts.

Please tell me about the tool in Pic2. Oh, and I am sorry for your troubles.................

PML
neilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:02 PM   #3
CA Victoria

Oversized woven lining is available for drums to about .090. Not enough pressure for harder lining material to work as well. Modern woven lining material uses Kevlar which is said to be better than the original type commonly used.
Removable lower studs were used in 1935, 36 were not. I ordered NOS studs & parts to rebuild mine from Southside Obsolete. He may have shoes too.
CA Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:07 PM   #4
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilp View Post
Please tell me about the tool in Pic2. Oh, and I am sorry for your troubles.................

PML

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:48 PM   #5
cas3

That tool is a drum measuring devise that came with an FMC drum and disc lathe I got for free because its broken. (I'm such a cheap ass!). It turns, but the feed is broke. Even has a shoe archer, which does work. Been on my winter project list to fix for several years now, but will probably go cheap after my funeral, unless I send it over the pond for Mart to tinker with.
Old 01-07-2023, 11:55 PM   #6
cas3

Hey Pete, blow up that pic of the rotten shoes in the vise for entertainment for all to see what the swamp does to old parts. Thanks for your efforts, always like the big pics.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:37 AM   #7
Randy in ca

-
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 12:51 AM   #8
Brian

CA Victoria gave you the correct answer about those bottom studs ; 36 are non removeable. Cas, if you strike out finding decent drums, I could send you some from down under, but freight would be a bit! [they're heavy and bulky]. Good luck, let me know if you need some of mine.
Old 01-08-2023, 01:18 AM   #9
cas3

Thanks guys for the info. Brian, thanks for the kind offer, but yes freight would be a killer.
there was talk awhile back about a company that relines the drums, not cheap I would guess, but 35's are a rare thing to find. This car, A model A is my bad weather car. It has heat and an electric w/s wiper, and I drive it all winter to get my fix. I've had it 14 years and done 35k miles with bad brakes because it has hard linings from the "restoration" done in the 70's. This time I thought I would make some improvements. Interestingly, when I took the first drum off the A it seems that much of the problem is the operator (we won't mention any names here ) could have done some more brake adjustments as the activator end is worn out, and the adjustment side looks new. But...35 brakes would sure be a step up
Old 01-08-2023, 08:06 AM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

cas3, I got here a bit late to answer this question....

For the 35 guys, Brian? JM ? Whats up with the painted backing plate that has the anchor bolt welded in place, unlike all the rest I have where the bolt has a nut on the outside. Note the yellow paint underline.

....but CA Victoria and Brian have already answered your question, however, I do believe those studs/anchor bolts on a 36 backing plate could be replaced if necessary by grinding that peened or riveted end off, and replacing those with 35 parts.

Also, like you, I've been rescuing (aka hoarding ) early Ford parts for more years than I can remember, and I may have some extra parts that you need. You could pm me on this if you would like to discuss in more detail.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:51 PM   #11
T Scott

J&G Brake Drum Relining in McHenry, Ill are the go to guys for saving your oversize drums. They can also reline your shoes with semi metalic composite for more aggressive friction. I have used them in the past and can highly recommend them.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 04:25 PM   #12
ronn

great thread to read cas, I appreciate your thorough honesty!

you really should write a book. refreshing.......
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 04:25 PM   #13
cas3

Any idea of the cost Mr. Scott ?
Old 01-08-2023, 04:41 PM   #14
cas3

Ronn...I'm blushing, most folks would think I "talk" too much in these posts ! Glad you got a smile ! Happy motoring
Old 01-08-2023, 04:59 PM   #15
cars2cool

How is that hoarding working out for you? My so called friends and a few select family members tell me I'm hoarding parts I'll never use. My question is how do they know? But seriously now, cutting corners and driving for 14 years without brakes just does not make any sense at all. Pry open the vault and visit the obsolete Ford vendors web sites and purchase the parts you need to fix it the correct way. In the long run you will be done quicker and money ahead. As I have been where your at right now and tried the exact same foolishness.
cars2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 05:31 PM   #16
Newc

Jack Benny had a money vault, it took lots of radio time {Noises]o get to it. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 05:36 PM   #17
cas3

Well, sorry if my driving habits have made anyone irritable, I better not tell the story of driving a 1946 White semi tractor home from mankato (30 miles) with no brakes at all ! The cows were all on the right side of the fence that day, so no injury's
Old 01-08-2023, 06:36 PM   #18
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Any idea of the cost Mr. Scott ?

Inquiries a while back seemed to be about $300/drum, but the end product is a piece of art. Ckick on the link to their website BELOW!

Coop

https://www.jgrelining.com/photos

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 06:51 PM   #19
cas3

Thanks Coop
Old 01-08-2023, 07:20 PM   #20
GB SISSON

Just wondering if the time tested switch to hydraulic brakes on the early V8 cars is different for the modelA? Seems the right backing plates, shoes, drums should be fairly plentiful. You have far more experience in what is practical on this matter but Im learning here and my cut down AA doodlebug really needs help in the brake dept with this hillside location.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote