Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
RockHillWill

Default I got my die casts yesterday-not Model A, but I'm excited about it.

I went to the Lionel Action die cast company on Friday after they called and said that the 'plated' cars had arrived as well as the original 'painted' cars that were in a week earlier.

I was quite surprised as I had not heard of having 'plated' cars. They offered them in platinum, gold, white gold and copper. The white gold and the platinum ones look almost the same unless you move them around in the light.

All but the original prototype, which I have, show a serial number under the right rear wheel, adjacent to the fuel cell. If any of you see one of these cars somewhere, post the serial number as I would like to know the locations of where they are going.

They made 6,096 of the 'painted' cars and only 96 each of the four styles 'plated' cars. I was told that all the cars have been sold to dealers and that this car was the 7th fastest selling car that has been offered to date.

I was able to 'acquire' the non-serial numbered car, and original style 'painted' cars with the serial numbers 3 and 96, and one each of the plated cars.

This was my race car that Dale drove in 1978 or so, and I am pretty stoked that anyone thought of something from that far back in time, but it sure brings back a LOT of memories. I just wanted to share my enthusiasm!

Here are some pics. After viewing the prototype, I asked that the blue on the car be lightened up some what and that the suspension was actually painted blue at the time. That appears in some of the photos.

Went looking for Brent at a car show this week end, but ended up chatting with 'Humpy' Wheeler from the Charlotte Motor Speedway and Randy Earnhardt and we reminisced about the time we put this ride together for Dale. Lots to chat about!

The picture with the darker blue is closer what the car actually looked like.

2wc143 006.jpg

2wc143 008.jpg

2wc143 012.jpg

2wc143 013.jpg

2wc143 019.jpg

2wc143 018.jpg

2wc143 023.jpg

Well, I better get back to work, I am getting real far behind on the Panel Truck restoration.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 01-15-2012 at 10:05 PM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: I got my die casts yesterday-not Model A, but I'm excited about it.

Congratulations Will, That is extremely cool and well deserved!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
roccaas

I only got "?" for your pictures. I'm signed in, no problem viewing anything else on the site, however; I've joined the Cult and do everything on Apple.

I would like to see your collection pictures.

Is Randy the brother or cousin of Dale? I never could keep them all straight.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Pickupman

Looks Great!
Pickupman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
RockHillWill

Randy is one of his brothers. Still doing some race business out of Dales shop in Mooresville, (the 'Garage Ma Hall')

They have one of the 7-post 'shakers' that I want to go look at. 1.5 Million dollars and it inputs suspension movements from 'track maps' derived from full circuit data logging and you can adjust shocks, springs,etc. and pre-test a run at a track by simulation without leaving the shop.Makes a lot of noise, LOL!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Wow!! Neat. I remember your original posting and how excited you seemed. Hey, you and "humpy", who would have thought?
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
dean from bozeman

Awesome Will! Quite an honor.

...'ended up chatting with 'Humpy' Wheeler from the Charlotte Motor Speedway and Randy Earnhardt and we reminisced about the time we put this ride together for Dale. Lots to chat about!' Now that's something they should have taped for the History Channel.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
Droobie

That Looks amazing Will!!! You deserve it! I really enjoyed your knowledge and stories when I was there. I need to get back down sometime to see the die cast and give you some dollars for them headlight buckets. Again the car looks great!!
Droobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
WTSHNN

Hi Will,

Was pretty cool seeing the prototype in Hershey in October, glad that it all worked out so well!

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
RockHillWill

I had gone after a few NOS parts for the Panel Truck rear axle housing assembly up near Ashboro, N.C and before I left, I knew that I would be traveling back past the Earnhardt shop. Randy had asked to have one of the die cast cars autographed and sent to him, so I took it with me and stopped by to deliver it and was hoping to get a look at their 7-post 'shaker' machine. It was not being used at the time, so we passed on the visit. He will call me when they have a car on it.

They have a contract with General Motors to do all the GM race team 'shaker' work, but they were all testing in Daytona.

It was very cool to see an advertisement of my die cast car on display in the Dale Earnhardt race shop. WAY COOL! They are only 12 miles or so from the Lionel Action company and not received their order as of yesterday. Randy explained to me that this car was the 6th fastest selling die cast in Lionel Action history. They have been contacted continuously about the delivery of them.

When I got home I started reading the book that 'Humpy' had written about his time in NASCAR. He gave an autographed copy of it to me at the Hickory car show only to find that each time my name was mentioned, he had spelled my last name name incorrectly. I expect I will have to call and tell him about it, LOL!

Last edited by RockHillWill; 01-17-2012 at 03:59 PM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Wow!! Neat. I remember your original posting and how excited you seemed. Hey, you and "humpy", who would have thought?
Paul in CT
Paul, there are several stories involving 'Hump' & Will that if you only knew....!! Will is a member of a VERY small fraternity in that regard! Also, in the NASCAR Haul of Fame there are items that have come from Will that he used in during his tenure in that group.

Will, I like all of them!!! I still think your next shop project (after the Panel truck) should be to replicate that car in exacting detail just like MARC Fine-point! Sorry we could not meet you there at the trade show last Saturday but Blake was chomping at the bit to go home to get the hauler loaded up for a quick trip up to Ohio and pick up his "new" (to him) race car. While it definitely is not as cool as your project, he is pretty excited with his new ride much like you are! And, ...within 24 hours of his car being unloaded here, in typical "Terry" fashion a frame-up restoration has ensued on a car that was 'race-ready' when we purchased it this past weekend!!

BTW, plans are for him to race at Carolina Speedway there in Gastonia some this summer. We would be honored if you would come "crew chief" some for us when we are in the area!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
RockHillWill

Cool Car!!!

I drive past the Carolina Speedway on my way to the water jet fab shop. I'm sure we could arrange for something to happen!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
Roger V

Again, a great tribute to what you have accomplished!
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
Hunter

Will,

Could not happen to a nicer guy!! Congrats!! You have lived a pretty exciting life.

Thanks for all your help in answering questions and supplying hardware during my restoration process. I appreciate it - Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
RockHillWill

Hunter, I know I still have some more hardware for you, but I am a--hole deep in alligators trying to get the Panel Delivery completed. It is getting VERY close to time to be done, and I am a long way from completed, but I will get them to you.